Sign in to follow this  
therealcndo

Dawntide open beta

I've played around with it a bit. I still prefer Wurm by a long shot... which sounds funny, but is true.

It might be awful because it use 100% of your cpu. Might have terribly long load time. GUI is quite weird, nothing like 99% of mmo haves. Buggy.

That's why it's in, you know, BETA.

I'm interested in trying this game but seriously after the disappointment that Darkfall and Mortal Online turned out to me, I am very concerned about this. I have seen some people say that the game is "awful" etc. Can you elaborate on why? So I know if it's worth downloading or not.

The game itself is good. Don't take anyones word here. Just try it out for yourself. Going by someone elses opinion is always a recipe for disappointment. Nothing like trying it out for yourself.

Oh I will try it for myself but I can't for a week or so. Just asking for a bit of Wurmian opinion though... I trust Wurmians! :P

Oh I will try it for myself but I can't for a week or so. Just asking for a bit of Wurmian opinion though... I nevertrust Wurmians! :P

fixed.  ;)

this game has the makings of something i might one day prefer over the wurm. that day, by the looks of how crappy dawntide is atm, is years away

It might be awful because it use 100% of your cpu. Might have terribly long load time. GUI is quite weird, nothing like 99% of mmo haves. Buggy.

That's why it's in, you know, BETA.

I know it's beta :)

But some bugs like cpu usage should be fixed early alpha not beta.

I know it's beta :)

But some bugs like cpu usage should be fixed early alpha not beta.

That's actually for the developers to decide, not the players. They have priorities and both Alpha and Beta are just phases where they need players to test out the game to weed out all sorts of bugs. As long as they do it before release, than it doesn't matter.  ;D

Besides, it might use 100% of your CPU, but mine holds steady at 62%. GUI being weird isn't a bug, its personal preference. For me GUI is perfectly fine. And as for loading times, the only long loading time is the initial login. And even that isn't any longer than what i've experienced in games like WoW or EVE. Heck, even Gmod takes longer to load.  ;)

I didn't say gui is bugged. I said it's quite different, not so user friendly (atleast for me).

And true, it's their choice what to fix first, but by looking at release note,  fixing missing skill have higher priority than terrible cpu problem. That doesn't say anything good about them.

I didn't say gui is bugged. I said it's quite different, not so user friendly (atleast for me).

And true, it's their choice what to fix first, but by looking at release note,  fixing missing skill have higher priority than terrible cpu problem. That doesn't say anything good about them.

I have browsed trough the Beta forums and found several complaints about heavy CPU load, and like i said, mine is steady at 62% (With Steam, firefox and thunderbird running on Windows Vista). I don't know if it happens for everyone, but they ARE working on it.  ;D

- There are several performance issues related to the CPU/GPU load and lack there of. most of the game currently relies on the cpu, resulting in overly heavy load on it, wile ignoring the gpu. resulting in near to no load. this is a complex issue, a fix is known but will take considerable time to implement. this is most prevailant with shadows, AA and view distances.

Quoted from http://www.dawntide.net/forum/topic/1003072 .

We just need to wait and see. :P

I followed this thread and tried this game.  But I can't figure out how to do anything interesting.  If I wanted to kill rats, I'd play Everquest.  Is there a way to actually participate in the economy?  All the junk I can harvest and craft is valueless.

Hides and leather always sell. Likewise armour does too. just get a few leatherworking recipes, armorsmithing recipes and start putting that fur and hide to work. Or you could kill bandits, goblins and brittle skeletons and sell their loot as well.

Not everything is sellable, and it depends on the demand. For instance, when i kill deers for hides i also get raw venison, usually it sells for a good ammount of money but lately it's been worthless, so i got like 100 sitting in my bank.

I make most of my money crafting hide, leather and scalemail armour. It sells pretty good.

Not to bring up such a old subject, but came across a few more user created videos from a friend of mine and got interested in this game. For those of you that played during beta how did you like it? And if you did play this and xsyon can you tell me which has a better direction as far as gameplay and dev team?

Thanks.

This is better then Xyson. But still kinda really screwy

the whole game is about haveing 10alts so that u can do it by urself and in the end its all about gathering stone and wood for 5000hours so that u can build something

So its like making a colossus but instead you get a small house in return for your time? hmmm

So its like making a colossus but instead you get a small house in return for your time? hmmm

it really is

a small house takes like the supplies of 2 wurm guard towers...

yea just the crappy houses take time makeing so if u dont play it with 20friends it will suck .

Haha... I can see why some would be miffed about it going paid if people need so many alts.  ;D