Sign in to follow this  
Dannyiron

Potential solution to the whole off-deed griefing problem with "protected" tiles

Introduce a "protected" tile.

Basically, it would work exactly like planning a house, but without the carp requirement. It could be as large as you want, and you would pay 250 iron coins (250i/2.5c/0.025s) (This value could be different) per tile you protect. In this, it would then become illegal to make any modifications to the land without owning the writ to the protected tiles. (All tiles would gain the adjective of "protected" when under this protected influence eg. protected pine tree, protected cobblestone, protected crop etc.)

This would be an easy solution. Protect some tiles against griefers for a cost. Simple, yes? ;)

You would also be able to stack perimeter tiles + protected tiles.

1+

A step in the right direction.

deeds are cheap enough nowadays and so easily expandable, that i see no reason to add this.  the perimeter is merely to prevent housing against your deed. while there have been some DB moves by a few players, it does fall under what Rolf wants / expects on freedom. i see no reason to add more rolfcode when you already have a mechanism in place > deed expansion.

deeds are allowed to have 0 guards now, so you can freely keep aggro animals on deed nowadays even.

deeds are cheap enough nowadays and so easily expandable, that i see no reason to add this.  the perimeter is merely to prevent housing against your deed. while there have been some DB moves by a few players, it does fall under what Rolf wants / expects on freedom. i see no reason to add more rolfcode when you already have a mechanism in place > deed expansion.

deeds are allowed to have 0 guards now, so you can freely keep aggro animals on deed nowadays even.

Although this is true, they aren't that adjustable.

Sure, they're great if you want to expand in every direction from your token, directly beside your deed. I'm dissuaded from expanding my deed because I don't want to expand in every direction. I would only want to expand in one direction, and wouldn't want to pay the additional + upkeep fees for land I'm not interested in. If there was a way to create deeds that weren't perfectly square, it would work a bit better than now I think.

Sure, they're great if you want to expand in every direction from your token, directly beside your deed. I'm dissuaded from expanding my deed because I don't want to expand in every direction. I would only want to expand in one direction, and wouldn't want to pay the additional + upkeep fees for land I'm not interested in. If there was a way to create deeds that weren't perfectly square, it would work a bit better than now I think.

Now this i would agree with. Whats with the squares? i'm surprised My head hasn't gone square after playing wurm.

it's quite unclear what this is supposed to do. does it just prevent changing of the land (so, terraforming and changing the pavement) or does it also prevent people from building stuff there and from destroying fences on it? If it also protects fences then it's totally overpowered since getting a 200x200 square this way (you only need to protect the outer edge minus one square, which can be a house) for just 20s.This could also be used to do massive damage through terraforming, for example totally wrecking a road or area and then making them protected tiles.

And what happens when somebody goes inactive? do the tiles just stay protected forever? Is it undo somehow? (upkeep seems in order!)

deeds are cheap enough nowadays and so easily expandable, that i see no reason to add this. 

I don't think deeds are cheaper. This is based on the fact that most games cost about 10 eur. We pay 5 of that to premium leaving only 5s to buy a deed, pay maintenance, and have some spending cash left over.  This small amount doesn't go very far. I know you have always had lots of alts and big villages so I'm curious what you think is cheep. For me, anything over 10 eur per month is expensive.

At the OP...Ecrir  explained some very valid points that make this suggestion look bad. Personally I want smaller deeds enabled. 5s buy and the minimum deed size would be 1 or a 3x3 area.

Against. Deeds work as designed. If you don't want to pay for your own deed, join a village.

Against. Deeds work as designed. If you don't want to pay for your own deed, join a village.

What if you want to live a few tiles from a deed on a nice spot or once lived in a area that there was AoC?

Many people don't want to live on deeds and just outside them for convenience or at the edges, buying a deed to protect a small area next to a deed is a waste.

But it is what is required by the rules in order to invoke the protection you desire.

Your choices include:

[o]Own a deed.

[o]Live on someone's deed (aka a village)

[o]Construct a Wild-Worthy defensive fortification to discourage vandals.

[o]Accept that some human phallus is going to come mess with your stuff "for the lulz".

You have options.

A bare minimum deed (11x11, no guards, minimal perimeter) costs only 2.42s. The Form costs 10s but the excess is applied to upkeep...so roughly 7 1/2 months prepaid. You can even expand out a bit before you cross the minimum threshold of 1s/month upkeep, increasing it to 21x21 for an additional 6.4s without increasing the monthly upkeep. Or you could buy a guard or expand the perimeter significantly without paying over 2s per month.

By Gobo's insistence that Wurm be affordable on a 5s/month budget, that would require the player to save up the 10s (either spending nothing for 2 months, or being more conservative and putting away 2.5 s a month for 4 months). At that point, their "expensive" deed would cost them 20% of their allowance each month.

And to add to what Othob said, if the player wants to live just outside a village but be part of it then he can use an alt to hold the deed.

Just give the alt 1 month of prem and 5 silver, transfer the referall and 5s to your main and it is as if you bought 1 month of prem and 5 silver for your main and got an alt for free! After placing the deed you won't need to prem that alt again, just use your main to throw in upkeep every month. So extra expense from using an alt? nothing

You know, you COULD buy deed tiles without having to make them "useful". I get the impression that as soon as there is deed space, people feel forced to use it for farms, houses or whatever and the thought of having non-exploited deed tiles is offputting and scary.

Seriously, why do certain people insist on getting a bare-minimum of deed tiles when you could "protect" so much of a larger area just by purchasing a few more instead of these lousy perimeter tiles? Deed space doesn't necessarily need to equate living space.

-1 no

Just get rid of perimeter all together.

Perimeter is the problem.

If anything give houses 1 tile around them as part of the writ.

Though this may be exploited.

The current system is not broken and you know when you build a house off deed you get a warning its not safe.

The object was not to make more massive protected tiles anyways, but open up the land for more players to deed.

So folks please just start deeding up and you'll solve most of the problem.