Sign in to follow this  
Fenrir

Smoking Fish to Preserve Them.

So my idea is to create a smoking hut.

It's about the same size of an FSB, but it'll look like a dog kennel on stilts, with a tiny air vent and a door.

I say we should be able to load in a certain amount of fish. Say around, 20 slots for different fish. Volume doesn't matter, but I'm not sure smoking a shark would be feasible.

The smoking of fish enables them to keep for a lot longer, and enables them to be loaded into a FSB. Sort of similar as to how you have to cook meat before it goes in.

Maybe this will use the Hot Food Cooking skill.

Higher ql smoking hut means it will smoke faster, at a minimum of 30 minutes at 99.99ql. Perhaps the ql of all fish put inside will increase slightly...

Any more ideas as to how this would work will be welcome.

And Zuperman promised me a +1. Please? ;D

+1

This really is an awesome idea, I would love if it would get implemented someday

+1

Nice simple idea; adds 'flavour' without adding complexity; helpful to new players and old alike.

+1

Nice simple idea; adds 'flavour' without adding complexity; helpful to new players and old alike.

/me sighs

Great idea, shame about the ensuing pun :D

great idea for smoking and drying fish and meat! add some salt and smoke it

Big +1

Love this idea  :D  hope to see it ingame soon ^^ +1 from me too

Since meat can be cooked and placed in a bin, fish definitely needs an equivalent function.

+1

This would be a wonderful addition and may actually increase the demand for high ql fish :D

+1!

+1

~~You see a smoked fish~~

More nutrition value for the newbies:D

Maybe a smoke sub-skill?

It does not really need any skill usage (hfc or its own) since you are really just converting the myriad fish types into a generic "smoked fish" item that decays slower and is bin friendly.

I like it.

Okay, I gotta say it....

"At least it will give us something to do with all this Wemp."  (rimshot)  ;D

+1

jerk me some jerky ya jerk!  ;D

Ahh, good to see so many people like this idea. Maybe after you smoke it and put it into FSBs, it'll combine like meat does, and maybe come out in 0.5kg strips. So, strips of smoked fish.

+1, and I don't think it really needs to be limited to fish. I know meat can already be cooked, but I don't know if that lowers the decay rate.

So, anybody want to forward this onto a GM or Rolf? I dunno if that's necessary, but hey  ;D

+1 and to make it easier to implement it could still be made in the oven.. or even some sort of stone bowl you carve that goes into the oven to smoke it.  Saves them trouble implementing another buildable right away

Ovens are actually too hot. That would burn the meat to a crisp. The smoking hut is to slow cook it and dry it out while still soaking it in flavour.

+1, especially if that means that it can improve the range of ingame foods. We could use raw and smoked fish for different types of wurmian sushi and such :)