Sign in to follow this  
Guest Helluva

Grinding masonry

Been doing it for days imping Grindstones. Is there any better way than this? Anything i can grind on that makes a more productive byproduct? (don't really NEED bread)

Is cutting stones better for stone cutting and masonry?

What's the best way (most skill gain) to grind Masonry, and or Stonecutting.

those take too much stone for it to be worth it..

also, i don't have the mining skill to fit them

I personally just made a few statues, a few houses and  a few towers. Before I knew it I was at 50. Its the trek from 50 to 70+ that really sucks... Thats when I used Grindstones and eventually a ton of Mine Doors.

Houses and Walls really do wonders at below 50.

OH if you're less than like 50... definitely build walls and houses.

you probably need them anyway, and they are good skill.

once you get to the 70+ range is when you should investigate the mine doors.

all right, and what about stonecutting?

is it more timesaving to just imp grindstones to get both skills up?

If you have the patience to mine all the shards needed, you really should grind on minedoors. Both stone cutting and masonry go up while imping them, and they are actually very useful the higher QL they are.

I can't remember what skill I was at, at the time, but when traps came in, scythe traps gave a lot of skill too. Seems I built a few thousand towers in my time, well ok not that many, but if you just keep doing mason work it will go up. Also making mortar helps too, get some good woa coc clay to do it with and make sure you don't combine it away. I've never done that...twice...really!  :D You can store the mortar in the bins also.

Make lots of bricks for stone cutting, you can put them in the bin so they don't rot.  Mine doors are the best for me to get skill for that. I've never bothered with imping grindstones and masonry is my highest skill.

(Bins are the best thing since sliced bread)

Imping stonecutting items (statues, slabs, grindstones...) grinds primarily stonecutting; it is not the most efficient way to grind masonry. Of course, if you plan on dedicating a lot of your time doing masonry in the future you'll probably be interested in high stonecutting skill as well, but for anything else you should be doing masonry items. Like walls.

I know somebody who grinded to 90 on slabs, so I'd say slabs might be good

Towers are probably the best for skill. Mine doors give both stone crafting and masonry, and because of that they're my favorite.

Mine doors, slabs, grindstone, statues etc give both stonecutting and masonry. With 84 stonecutting, an hour of SB on mid 70 ql grindstones gives me about 0.3 stonecutting skill. Seems to low, so i might try mine doors. And statues. want to maximize my gain.

Don't grind on stone cutting items. Below 50 skill they give very little skill and are mostly frustrating. Don't even think about mine door imping, it'll take forever. Grindstones are equally annoying and their only positive trait is taking little material to imp. :P

I'd say make and improve small stone walls, good skill.

Don't even think about mine door imping, it'll take forever. Grindstones are equally annoying and their only positive trait is taking little material to imp. :P

I'd say make and improve small stone walls, good skill.

Grinded from 61 Masonry and 35 Stone cutting to 70 Masonry and 60 Stone Cutting in about two days. Granted that's quite a bit of work for little masonry gain, but after getting stone cutting to 60, I've noticed that making bricks, slabs, minedoors, and what not became extremely easy. I have 99% to make bricks, and 1/2 of them come out top QL. 70QL bricks are much more useful than 1QL bricks.

(Bins are the best thing since sliced bread)

Stone cutting is the easiest skill in the game to grind imo, only uses 2 tools... Imp colum + toolbelt you dont even have to pay the slightest bit attention. Good body stats also :)

Stone cutting is the easiest skill in the game to grind imo, only uses 2 tools... Imp colum + toolbelt you dont even have to pay the slightest bit attention. Good body stats also :)

How significant compared to mining or digging? Would it be worth getting 90 in masonry and stone cutting?  Body stats that is....

Stonecutting isn't that easy to gain once you get it above 70, trust me. Difficulty is probably about the same as all the normal smithing, if not slightly harder. See my comment of 0.3 skill in an hour on sb etc

Stonecutting isn't that easy to gain once you get it above 70, trust me. Difficulty is probably about the same as all the normal smithing, if not slightly harder. See my comment of 0.3 skill in an hour on sb etc

I dont see .3 an hour as bad at all for grinding a skill over 70! I would love that to be honest.... (Unless you mean .03)

Back to the point though; The bottom line is that I'm the resident Builder of all things brick, in our place, and I need to put up some Walls requiring bricks. Currently my brick % is about 64. Masonry's below 30. Is there an effective way of getting Both skills up? or Just leave stone cutting for now? or...

Back to the point though; The bottom line is that I'm the resident Builder of all things brick, in our place, and I need to put up some Walls requiring bricks. Currently my brick % is about 64. Masonry's below 30. Is there an effective way of getting Both skills up? or Just leave stone cutting for now? or...

grind on....

Grindstones

or statues

I dont see .3 an hour as bad at all for grinding a skill over 70! I would love that to be honest.... (Unless you mean .03)

aye .3 a hour is pretty good - that could be 1.5pts a day if you spent a evening on it. 70-80 in about a week.

yes, 0.3 an hour doesn't seem that bad looking at it now. however, i think that 0.3 an hour might not be what i was actually getting on grindstones. Either way, i'm getting about 0.3 an hour (well. 0.1 in 30 minutes, but distracted), on statues, so they're pretty handy too. I've yet to do any work on mine doors, once i touch up the statues in the village i'll probably do a batch.

Do note that all this was in sleep bonus though.

Sleep bonus makes a 200% gain.

That means the gain is actually half what you say...

Suck...