Sign in to follow this  
Guest Avadrea

Basket Weaving

I don't know if this has been suggested I looked but didn't see anything about it.

New Skill Basket Weaving

Items that could be made

Baskets (of course) for storage Both large and small sizes (not the kind with handles but with lids

Fishing traps (woven baskets designed to be left in water to catch fish)

hammocks

Other animal traps that could randomly spawn small animals inside that when you retrieve them you butcher them They never have to be added as anything other then an inventory item.  Like rabbits or the already present chicken

Bee hives

Bird Cages (possible future decorative item or way to keep chickens or other  egg laying birds)

Hand baskets (ones with handles)

I am sure there could be other applications as well.

I might have gone overboard but I tried to think of all possible applications of the skill.

They could add foragable reeds as the resource or use a carving knife on log to cut off thin wood strips.

I like this post, +1

baskets would be nice, I like the hammock and fish trap ideas especially

Woven fences are just being added, so I guess they'd be linked.

+1 nice idea but I don't see it being implemented =[

baskets would be nice, I like the hammock and fish trap ideas especially

I was thinking it would be nice to have an item that you set somewhere and then return to see if you caught anything instead of having to stand and fish.  I don't know how well it would work though or even if it could be implemented.

Items like these are typically made from long willow twigs, which (for finer crafting of baskets, etc) are cooked to make them flexible enough to work with first. I imagine sometime in the future we could be enabled to harvest willow trees for these twigs.

I have a little bit of experience working with these things in real life :)

While this sounds interesting and all "+1-worthy" I can't really see how this adds anything really important to the game that couldn't be implemented without adding a new branch of crafting. Not that it would be a bad thing to expand crafting, just not very... useful.

While this sounds interesting and all "+1-worthy" I can't really see how this adds anything really important to the game that couldn't be implemented without adding a new branch of crafting. Not that it would be a bad thing to expand crafting, just not very... useful.

It's not about things being "useful" in this game, but more about being "fun" and "interesting". If I had to seriously consider usefullness, I guess I'd have to think about whether I should be playing at all.

I suppose it could be looked at that way.  It would really depends on how it was implemented.  I think mostly it would help in offering building of containers and such using a resource other then lumber.

It's not about things being "useful" in this game, but more about being "fun" and "interesting". If I had to seriously consider usefullness, I guess I'd have to think about whether I should be playing at all.

Any sort of added depth to the game is of course an improvement, but that doesn't put all potential new features on the same level.

An example better explains what I mean: Boats and puppeteering are both recent additions to the game. Both added new functionality and depth to the game which is good of course, but I'm sure you can distinguish the significance between them (even if boats took longer to develop, it was still better development time spent).

Any sort of added depth to the game is of course an improvement, but that doesn't put all potential new features on the same level.

An example better explains what I mean: Boats and puppeteering are both recent additions to the game. Both added new functionality and depth to the game which is good of course, but I'm sure you can distinguish the significance between them (even if boats took longer to develop, it was still better development time spent).

I'd say not all sorts of additions to the game would necessarily be improvements. To me it would very much depend on whether they would add to the fun or somehow make the game more interesting. Boats seems to catch the interest of a lot more players than puppeteering and therefore might be considered better or more important. But I'd say if Rolf found fun in developing puppeteering, how could it be wasted development time?

Good idea, other than the hammock which, i think, should be made using ropes and cloth pieces

Yeah, I like this idea.  Useful, interesting, non-game-breaking stuff.  +1. 

Though I think it's probably better to use Wemp Fiber to produce these.  It's already in-game and used for similar things; better than introducing a whole new class of item (willow branches). 

High skill allows people to do it while underwater  ;)

I like it...   has potential for so many areas of WURM.

I would certainly like a nice grass woven fishing or farming hat.   Or using a woven steamer to make some tasty dumplings. 

• Like 1

Reeds and grass could be used even possibly twigs.

Wow. Decade old thread.

We have fish keep baskets in game now. We also have beehives and bird cages.

The idea is cute, but at this point I feel we have enough storage options. So much so we have storage for our storage.

Edited by Seriphina

+1 to basket weaving.

Maybe  as a sub-skill of thatching (not very useful skill unless you want thatched roofs, which it seems not many people use) and using  existing reeds/grass. Perhaps baskets as a storage option for some of those pesky items that cannot be stored in traditional containers to prevent/ reduce decay e.g. Pelts (yes, you can keep these in inv/ bank etc and they don't weigh much but just add clutter to inv/bank until needed). Would also clearly be a nice additional decorators item.

:)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nibbet said:

+1 to basket weaving.

Maybe  as a sub-skill of thatching (not very useful skill unless you want thatched roofs, which it seems not many people use) and using  existing reeds/grass. Perhaps baskets as a storage option for some of those pesky items that cannot be stored in traditional containers to prevent/ reduce decay e.g. Pelts (yes, you can keep these in inv/ bank etc and they don't weigh much but just add clutter to inv/bank until needed). Would also clearly be a nice additional decorators item.

:)

+1! I especially like how it could be integrated with thatching, that skill currently has no other real use and has no impable items to grind on.

• Like 1

+1

100% agree! An ability to make baskets and other things from grass that we collect (or from thatch) would be a great adition to Wurm! At the very least, let's add more items to thatching, like baskets and woven storage containers.

• Like 1