Sign in to follow this  
Propheteer

Why to go premium? (Not a question, but an answer.)

To answer the above portal question (it can hopefully be added to the first post):

To be able to use a portal to a premium server, you must have paid for premium time. Do this just before using the portal as premium time starts ticking away from the moment of purchase. Note that you don't have to log out for the payment to register, you can walk up to the portal of your choice, Alt-Tab out of the game, pay for premium then open the game window again and wait for the message that premium is now paid for to appear in your event tab.

There are 4 portals by New Dawn, the starter town in GV.

Freedom Stones takes you to the PvE server - Freedom.

Flame Portal takes you to Gold Coast, the Mol Rehan starter town on the PvP server - Wild

Stone Portal takes you to The Landing, the Jean Kellon starter town on the PvP server - Wild

Desolate Portal takes you to The Shroud, the HotS starter town on the PvP server - Wild

There are also Freedom Stone portals in both Glitterdale and First Light. GD also has a Flame Portal to MR lands, and FL has a Stone Portal to JK lands.

As for traveling through, you take everything you are carrying in your inventory. Money will be transferred with your bank account (found at any deed token), but any items held in it will not be transferred.

Note that this is a one way trip. Accounts that have moved to premium servers cannot travel back to GV.

As for taking an established account, or making a new one, that is personal preference. Most premium players will recommend you take a relatively fresh account due to characteristics skill gain (there are quite a few threads in the forums explaining this so I won't repeat it here, use the search function). If you wish to be a lone player, then you will need a few key skills up such as digging, carpentry, a bit of fight skill, etc. and a few vital tools (fishing rod, cooking pan of some sort, imping tools etc.) but I would recommend that even if being a hermit is your intention, it would be wise to join a village for a couple of months to gain some reasonable skills and tools.

A little correction here:

***The aim of the Entry servers are to let new players try the game for free in almost all its glory. Players may then move on from the Entry servers to other server types using portals. Premium must be purchased to be able to do this and has no effect till the player leaves the server.

From: http://wurmonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Server_Types (This page was last modified on 3 June 2010, at 14:52.)

That's a bit odd. I type /time a couple times for a couple hours when I paid for premium on the trial server because I was curious if it uses it up or not. The premium date did not change if I remember correctly so I concluded that it does waste your time. That was a while back though and my memory is a bit fuzzy right now.

Maximilus, don't take the wiki as correct on everything. It's been tested and premium time does start ticking away. I've not changed it myself though as I don't like changing anything in the wiki until I've seen proof with my own eyes.

A little correction here:

***The aim of the Entry servers are to let new players try the game for free in almost all its glory. Players may then move on from the Entry servers to other server types using portals. Premium must be purchased to be able to do this and has no effect till the player leaves the server.

he is probably referring to the "premium [...] has no effect" part. wiki isnt wrong, that part is referring to the benefits of premium, which have no effect on GV.

the limits and skillcaps are server wide on GV, which means that if you could bring a premium player with skill 90 on GV, the server would cap him to 20 immediately.

the premium timer does start immediately after purchase and will run out if you idle on GV too long.

aha, I see what you mean. That's what he's referring to, but he's misunderstood what it means, as he highlighted my addition about the timer starting at time of purchase as incorrect.

So in this case we're all right, just Max had a little confusion about what the wiki meant. I'll go and make it clearer if not already done.

I tested this myself and I was wrong and the wiki needs to be clear. Premium benefits don't start, but time indeed starts to run out. Sorry, it's the way it's written and the interpretation of what wiki said that get's confusing. Should be something alone the lines of .."premium benefits, like raising skill cap, and others has no effect....., .....but your premium time will start to run the moment you purchase..." to prevent misunderstandings.  ???

Ps. The reason I quote was cause I remember I saw it somewhere when I started playing and had the wrong idea, as previously, I was only in GV for like a week? maybe? on my main. Didn't need any more time there to knew if I liked the game or not. Any other alt that I have has been in GV whatever time it takes from the spawn area to the portal...1 minute?..less? ;)

I also did a lttle more digging on this and found this on the wurm site:

The Golden Valley tutorial server is strictly a free to play server only. If you purchase premium and would like to recieve the benefits that a premium account brings, you must travel to one of the premium servers. Onetoofree AB does not refund lost premium time spent on Golden Valley.

From: http://www.wurmonline.com/wurm-faqs/3-Account%20Related/38-i-have-a-premium-account-but-i-cannot-raise-my-skills-above-20-on-golden-valley-why-is-this

So confirm, don't buy until ready to leave. 

Have you checked the wiki since I posted? I changed it to make it clearer. Feedback is appreciated though if you think the wording could be better still.

Sorry, was away for a few days. Yes I saw the entry change on the wiki and now it's clear enough. Thanks.

Maybe be more attractive if it was less expensive.

Maybe be more attractive if it was less expensive.

You do know it's only 10 euros (about 12 USD) for 2 month of premium right? Doesn't sound so expensive at all. Also if you work hard enough to earn money in game, you can buy 1 month of premium for 10 silver.

Is it possible to use premium and still stay on GV? cause i like it here but i dont like it that i have limited skill.

Is it possible to use premium and still stay on GV? cause i like it here but i dont like it that i have limited skill.

Nope, but if you think you like GV, Freedom is 16x bigger and better. GV will go away soon enough, start preparing yourself mentally to move on to Freedom.

im anxious to send my gv guy to freedom but waiting to see if or when they let non premium players in there, is there any word on when or if this is still the plan? i understand the new tutorial system would be up in place before that, im not sure how that has progressed

If - yes, it will happen

When - as you say, the new tutorial needs to be in place first. It's very extensive so is taking a while to set up. Don't hold your breath but I would like to think it COULD be done this year, certainly early next year. Doesn't mean that's exactly when the shift to Freedom will occur though and please note this is just my hunch. All sorts of things could change.

I would recommend you just go if you have the money to be premium. Skills will still be capped at 20 for free players on Freedom, and that will be quite a limitation with some things (such as the steep slopes you'll encounter when trying to dig) so if you're intending to pay anyway - go before the rush.

A highly developed GV character (lots of skills to 20) will actually be losing a great deal of potential.  Many of your statistics will reach 20 by the time you get a few skills to 20, and especially if you stall at 20 on skills, and continue to use them.  Statistics are very important - especially for PVP, but for PVE as well, stunting your body, body strength, and body stamina will hurt in the long run.  Sure you can make up those body stats, but it will take longer, because skillgains will be slower, and every stat gain you would have gotten will be lost to the void of non-premium skillcap.

If you are more interested in being a craftmonkey, the loss of potential mind logic will be rather painful too, in terms of your eventual ability to perform more than 3 queued actions.

Granted, staying on GV and playing for free till you get a good solid skillset will be nice for stepping into Wild or Freedom with a better understanding of the game, but don't overdo it if you know you are going to eventually go premium, don't delay too long after your stats start to hit 20.

There are others who say that it's nicer to feel safe when you go, and the skill loss is minimal (just playing devils advocate). I myself made a new account when I went to premium (I had been playing for 6 months) and had no regrets. A couple of things were a little frustrating (like having to open some of the skills again so I could make one or two items I'd been used to making), but it takes so little time to get those skills back up on premium, and you'll love the extra body strength etc. that comes with it.

• Like 1

Notice also, that now, when you go back to F2P, you don't "lose" totally the skills over 20. It just get capped back at 20, but you regain the skills you get over 20 once you're prem again.

Can the author update the portal change?

Yes please, I really want to know....  thanx :)

One more slight change to be made:

Pay 10 Silver at a deed token for 1 month. Note, you must be logged in, in-game to do this so if you're already on a premium server, you will need to be paid up already.
Only the case if you're on Wild as you can log in as a free player on Freedom and pay for Premium time with Silver that way.

I love this game experience so far. The second one of my character stats (not skills) hit 20, I think it was body strength, I decided to get premium. Just that little bit more that goes towards the people behind this game, and maybe improving it a bit more and advertise so we can get tons of people and possibly expand the land mass (I like really huge game maps heh).

Definitely worth it, and it's twice as cheap as other MMOs. Plus you don't even have to buy the game, just the play time. That's impressive. Coming from WoW myself, it's unbelievable. You had to pay for the "Game" itself, then three near full price expansions, plus the game time which was twice as expensive.

If you've ever played other mmos in your life I think this is probably the best value overall. it's priced like Runescape is, that's good.