Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Boats almost ready for launch!

Speeds are way too slow.

Im glad that some bugs have been fixed but the speed still needs a major buff, atleast for the large ships.

With my Cog i am going 1.28km/h directly up against a light breeze but this doesnt change before you go at >90degrees to one side which makes cross sailing impossible. I can drag my ship upwind at 4.12km/h so that is what i do which is obviusly weird. besides giving a LARGE speed boost to crossing (im talking the same speed as downwind) the wind needs to ha e more power on the oceans, everybody knows that light breezes and breezes are very rare at sea and that it is usually a strong breeze or more.

I'd say increase the speed to 12+km/h for all the larger ships, making them worth spending time on.

Speeds are way too slow.

Im glad that some bugs have been fixed but the speed still needs a major buff, atleast for the large ships.

With my Cog i am going 1.28km/h directly up against a light breeze but this doesnt change before you go at >90degrees to one side which makes cross sailing impossible. I can drag my ship upwind at 4.12km/h so that is what i do which is obviusly weird. besides giving a LARGE speed boost to crossing (im talking the same speed as downwind) the wind needs to ha e more power on the oceans, everybody knows that light breezes and breezes are very rare at sea and that it is usually a strong breeze or more.

I'd say increase the speed to 12+km/h for all the larger ships, making them worth spending time on.

if you swim aganist wind don't be suprised you swim slow ;p

with strong wind in back you can solo get like 30km/h on this larger ship like cog

Sail Boats have oars too which should allow movement into the wind.  Any idiot who has been in a sail boat knows you can "beat the wind" by tacking 45 degrees back and forth into the wind.  Since sail boats have oars they should move at least as fast as rowboats - They should move faster than row boats when they are going with the wind (you're rowing and sailing now!). When they are headed into the wind (maybe if you couldn't beat) - any landlubber would drop sails and row turning your sailboat into a rowboat.

Rowboats - 10 kph with 1 soul aboard

13 kph w/ 2

15 kph w/ 3

Small Sailing boat - 10-20kph  with 1 soul aboard (10 kph directly into the wind (you're rowing fool)

13-23kph w/2

15-25kph w/3

17-27kph w/4

19-29kph w/5   

Larger boats should go faster than the small sail boat IF they have enough people to run it. More canvas to the wind = more speed. Which is why they built these beasts. These speeds also make swimmers unable to CATCH any boat - which is part of the purpose of building a boat. Otherwise people would swim the 7 seas - not sail them.

Just my three copper.

Just because you have a larger ship, in rl, does not mean your ship is faster. Large ships with sails require a crew. Ships with oars and sails should be faster if these have a crew aboard using the oars. If you are sailing solo, no crew aboard, you (commander) would be rowing your boat to shore. If you were in a caravel, and no crew...sorry skipper, you are on the oars. No crew? No sails! No speed adjust.

Larger boats should go faster than the small sail boat IF they have enough people to run it.

Large ships with sails require a crew. If you were in a caravel, and no crew...sorry skipper, you are on the oars. No crew? No sails! No speed adjust.

boats need a base speed it isnt fun sailing a boat at less than 2km/h.

this is a game not the blue ribbon sailing event you cant always get a crew.

boats need a base speed it isnt fun sailing a boat at less than 2km/h.

this is a game not the blue ribbon sailing event you cant always get a crew.

Aye it should be hard to find a crew. Let alone one as crazy and bloodthirsty as the captain.

Sailing a small sailboat though should only give a small penalty or no penalty at all I beleive because it is possible to sail a sailboat on your own in real life.