Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Boats almost ready for launch!

That is good news! :D

Occurred to me while we were all playing with the boat parts:

All boats could have a small flag placed visible to the helmsman

The flag will always blow (roughly?) with the wind.

Alternatively

A ship 'equipped with' a compass might also have an arrow indicating wind direction and approximate strength.

Or maybe you just make a ship compass and carry it in your inventory?

Wind speed only needs to be known by ship captains I would assume

i see you talking about wind speed. Is it just me or there hasnt been wind for a long time now on the home server? its totally calm.

ps i cant go faster then 1.4km/h with my small sail boat :/

i see you talking about wind speed. Is it just me or there hasnt been wind for a long time now on the home server? its totally calm.

ps i cant go faster then 1.4km/h with my small sail boat :/

That msut be so... staticĀ  :D

yeah, its faster to drag it, a lot faster....... and how does steering actually work? I cannot get a handle on this. If I move to the front of the ship it goes forwards, if I move towards the back it goes the other way.... but how do you turn? its got to be obvious but I'm still missing it as moving towards either side anywhere on the boat doesn't affect it.

I do believe boat requirements is really hard. Espically when skill gain is very slow

I like how creating the parts for the ships gives far more skill than building the ships. Using the shipbuilding skill. Go figure.

but how do you turn?

As long as you are pressing "a" or "d" key while moving forward with "w" or backwards with "d" the boat turns left or right.

Sail Boats have oars too which should allow movement into the wind.Ā  Any idiot who has been in a sail boat knows you can "beat the wind" by tacking 45 degrees back and forth into the wind.Ā  Since sail boats have oars they should move at least as fast as rowboats - They should move faster than row boats when they are going with the wind (you're rowing and sailing now!). When they are headed into the wind (maybe if you couldn't beat) - any landlubber would drop sails and row turning your sailboat into a rowboat.

Rowboats - 10 kph with 1 soul aboard

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  13 kph w/ 2

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  15 kph w/ 3

Small Sailing boat - 10-20kphĀ  with 1 soul aboard (10 kph directly into the wind (you're rowing fool)

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  13-23kph w/2

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  15-25kph w/3

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  17-27kph w/4

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  19-29kph w/5Ā 

Larger boats should go faster than the small sail boat IF they have enough people to run it. More canvas to the wind = more speed. Which is why they built these beasts. These speeds also make swimmers unable to CATCH any boat - which is part of the purpose of building a boat. Otherwise people would swim the 7 seas - not sail them.

Just my three copper.

I agree with Tedrick except as far as the upper limits of the boats are concerned. I believe the max limit of any boats should be limited for 16kmh, simply because I don't want to see people zooming around the map in .3 seconds. I believe that'd detract from the feel of the game.

Small Sailing boat - 10-20kphĀ  with 1 soul aboard (10 kph directly into the wind (you're rowing fool)

Or we could not worry about the wind at all, because it's a needless nuisance that can't be simulated in a way that's not painfully cumbersome, eh?

If you can row a sailing boat straight into the wind, you need a way to drop the sails, otherwise the wind would affect you more.

I think wind works (worked?) well at the moment. We just need to add some automatic event messages about weather & wind, as well as what is happening on your boat ("You set/drop the sails", "You begin to row" etcetera).

Woohoo boats almost ready for launch! :D

You do know they're implemented already right? :)

Rowboats have a good speed, i don't know about sailboats tho, but the bigger boats have a good speed as well, the small sailing boat should be the fastest boat with only a few souls IMO, however the knarr should be the fastest with a full crew.

Maybe a good feature could be sailing skill, or strngth speeding up the boat.

Despite the recent permission changes it seems you can still use the "Drag" option and run off with a boat that you are not able to command. I don't think that should be the case, And at the minimum you should require they key, Or have lockpicked the boat to be able to do so. Maybe also a certain level of Lockpicking to even "attempt" to lockpick, Mainly on the higher level boats

Maybe also a certain level of Lockpicking to even "attempt" to lockpick, Mainly on the higher level boats