Sign in to follow this  
Hordern

The Great Fight

OK, so this was a while ago, but hey ho:

It was shortly after I had migrated to the shores of the Wild and tension was building as the NAP between Mol Rehan and the Horde of the Summoned looked strained. Occasional updates were reaching me high on my escarpment where I tended the Mithril Hall fields. It seemed a skirmish had broken out, and Emperor Daolin was riding to the scene of the transgression, to speak with Horton who was busy defending his troops against the blood thirsty Black Lighters.

My cart was near to overflowing with pumpkins and corn as I towed it back to the food preparation area. Whistling gently, I rounded a corner to be confronted by a young starving brown bear. Often my nemeses, I was yet to take one down in single combat due to my weak combat skills, always requiring the assistance of Tower Guards or others from the village. I was close to a small deed with a strong fighting spirit presence. However, the bear seemed to be able to sense these beings, and would not venture close. I could outrun the bear easily enough, or lead it to the nearest Tower Guards. However, this was a long way and I had been farming for a considerable time. I decided to chance it. I was yet to be supplied with any form of protection by the Mithril Hall armourers. All I had was the large shield I had migrated with from my first home in Golden Valley, and a reasonably sharp longsword. I knew I could nip into the protection of the local housing where there was plenty of cotton to tend to my wounds. As I leapt in to attack, news reached me that Daolin had arrived at the battlefield and his pony had been shot out from under him by eager Mol Rehan troops. Recovery of the NAP looked unlikely, but I had larger issues at hand.

I was receiving wounds from the bears claws and teeth, but had struck hard several times with my longsword too and the bear was bleeding from slashes across the back of its neck, and forepaws. I turned away and dashed for shelter to tend to my cuts as best I could, hoping the bear would remain close by, thinking to finish me off when I next emerged. The beast had other ideas and lumbered away to rest on a very steep slope, presumably either trying to lure me into falling, or hoping I would not follow, allowing it to rest and heal. I did not stop to think clearly and ignoring the dangerous site the bear had stopped on, I clambered down the cliff side. Clinging to the slope above the bear, I found it harder to wield my sword and shield. However, my considerable height advantage stood me in good stead. As I launched into attack once more, faint cries of battle wafted up the mountain on the breeze. It appeared the NAP was well and truly over. MR and HotS were at war.

I had begun to relax. The bear was all but dead when suddenly it flew into a rage. Hacking and slashing at me, I didn’t know where to turn and attack after attack landed on my body. I had nowhere to run except to fall down the mountain. My only hope was to fight it out. I focused on the fight at hand, swung my shield at the bear, and as it stumbled, thrust home with my sword. The bear was dead. Blood was filling my vision, but fortunately I had bandages in my backpack and was able to stem the flow of blood, enough to be able to drop slowly down to the road below and limp back to safety.

I turned in for a well-earned rest that night. Far away others were still fighting on the new battlefront between the ex-allies. One day I would join the glorious struggle for our kingdom. I wasn’t ready yet, but I was getting there…

• Like 1

what are you like when you kill a troll

Not a clue, haven't killed one yet. I killed that bear with a 20QL large iron shield, a 40QL longsword, no armour and 5 FS.

Was your grandfather still around then Hordern? I can imagine him narrating that lol. The Golden Age of Wild and you were about the same skill as me going from this but I was JK. Wow I miss those days. At least Chaos is still there though in some form.

On 4/3/2021 at 1:59 AM, Silures said:

Was your grandfather still around then Hordern? I can imagine him narrating that lol. The Golden Age of Wild and you were about the same skill as me going from this but I was JK. Wow I miss those days. At least Chaos is still there though in some form.

Noooo, he died in the early/mid 90's I believe.