Sign in to follow this  
Guest Commissar Sirk

Has nVidia cooked your card? (driver warning)

Nothing is safer than a fan.

That's what I thought until nVidia told mine to turn off...

I'm sticking to manual fan control for now on.

nothing is more quiet than 2 watercooled 280's ;)

Why are you playing Wurm with that... go back to Crysis.  :P

People who spend more then $300 on graphics cards are crazy... they depreciate soo fast.

I play Wurm on 2 HD5850's. And yes, it's actually stable!

Last I checked CrossFire/SLI doesn't work with JOGL games...

I have a 5850 in my gaming computer, OC'd it to beat the 5870/295.  :o

Amazing card, got it for $280.

No problems here with Crossfire on.

I'Am using a 8400 gs (512MB Version) with a cooling block.

At full throttle it produce 63 ° C: heat on the GPU.

Pretty cool.....

My old 7600 gs with fan allways was at 70 ° while wurming.

Amount of frames is of course higher with the 8000 series card but without a fan the pc is silent i only hear the harddrive.

Amount of frames is of course higher with the 8000 series card but without a fan the pc is silent i only hear the harddrive.

After serving me valiantly for a good long time, my GeForce 7300 LE died. first the VGA port went in-op a few days ago (switched to DVI), then the drivers started playing with my colors, and now it's bricked because it overheated and just won't work anymore. They won't reimburse me because it's "too old"

What a joke.

My 9800 GTX has served me well since I plugged it in @ 18 months ago.  It runs 24/7 and when I'm not gaming on it, it acts as a CUDA processor for SETI@home, and runs at 100% capacity.

Probably the most reliable video card with a fan on it that I have ever owned.  Currently I've been seeing a few wavy lines on the screen now and then, so it might be nearing the end of it's life.  I do need to get behind the machine and make sure the signal cable hasn't worked it's way up next to any of the power cables though.

tried doing a driver rollback, but when I rebooted it, no video. I turned it off and when I took out the card, the heat sink was probably hot enough to boil water on.

I use an ATI card.

ATI is where its at

Ugh, I still have nightmares about surfing ATI's site looking for drivers 10 odd years ago. Their cards were not only unreliable, the drivers were IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND. It was as if the website had been designed by retards with good spelling. Contrast that to the Voodoo cards available at the same time, which had hardware opengl support, easy driver installs and very smooth functionality.

These days, I see much of the same: ATI's fussy, annoying cards that don't handle many common apps well, let alone games... opposed to nVidia's cards which run a little warmer but are smooth and their control panel software is better.

I run 4 case fans and my power supply is in the bottom rather than right next to the CPU (Antec cases are awesome) so my computer stays quite cool.

Speaking of nvidia, which GeForce card is the cat's meow nowadays? I'm hearing good stuff about the GTX 280-285, anyone knows more than I do?

Meh, i'mma save up for a GeForce 9800 GT :D

$10 down, $95 to go. :P

My 9800 GTX has served me well since I plugged it in @ 18 months ago.  It runs 24/7 and when I'm not gaming on it, it acts as a CUDA processor for SETI@home, and runs at 100% capacity.

Probably the most reliable video card with a fan on it that I have ever owned.  Currently I've been seeing a few wavy lines on the screen now and then, so it might be nearing the end of it's life.  I do need to get behind the machine and make sure the signal cable hasn't worked it's way up next to any of the power cables though.

Checked my cable connections and power and signal cable positioning and adjusted things a bit, and now everything is working perfectly again.  No more wavy lines for a couple days now.

Checked the temp of the GPU after it had been running SETI for about 14 hours straight, temp was 70C.

my 8800gts fried the other week after a driver update. good times.

Nvidia didn't cook my card, Wurm did.

I can't really complain, I got 2 solid years out of it.

only 2 years ?O_O

I'm running 4,5 years on my epic gf6600...

only 2 years ?O_O

IIRC correctly, your screenshots you've posted all show that you run wurm at mediocre to low settings. I've ran Wurm for, give or take, 8 hours a day on the most extreme settings.

Plus, I had/have a pretty crummy card: 7300.

only 2 years ?O_O

IIRC correctly, your screenshots you've posted all show that you run wurm at mediocre to low settings. I've ran Wurm for, give or take, 8 hours a day on the most extreme settings.

Plus, I had/have a pretty crummy card: 7300.

I used to ran wurm at high setting before client 2.4~ :). + I used to play 12h+ daily.

But still, 2 years and broken vs 4,5 and working good is huuge difference...

But still, 2 years and broken vs 4,5 and working good is huuge difference...

Yes, you've got a point there.

I'm not going to get stressed about it, though. It was a $100 dollar card brand new and I'd say I got my money's worth.