Sign in to follow this  
Mrbloodworth

[2-20-10] [r246] Test server content update.

Something new, something old.

* Three new Kinoss trees have been added. Prototype trees are: Maple, olive and Lemon.

* Lamps that use transparencies have been edited a bit. (Namely, back faces for transparent areas)

* Unfinished torch, and unfinished Imperial lamp models have been added.

As far as the trees go, they are prototypes, we have some adjustments to make to them. The sub tree parts have not been added yet (Felled tree, logs and such) All trees are likely to get a bit of an edit soon to help with rendering and shadowing.

Note: Patch will be made available in a moment. Patch is up.

[2-20-10] [r250] Test server content update.

* Added Worn and decay textures for the bin objects.

* Updated all trees to have flipped leaf normals in the file to support coming client update changes on how we handle trees. 

* Maple and olive models have been updated.

* Some textures for different trees have been edited.

* Changed Bushes to new specs.  (No visuial change)

* Moved all bushes to one location in the assets.

* Edited the top sail of the Caravel.  8)

* Sailboat and Rowboat have had nulls added for mounting of players to facilitate new system testing.

I think the maple doesn't really look like a tree all that much. Checking the wiki it should be a Acer saccharum (Sugar Maple), since those are tapped for maple sap.

the picture on the wiki looks like this:

450px-Acer_saccharum.jpg

The in game maple just looks weird, the thick branches, especially the lower ones, are insanely long (and totally straight), while the leaves are spread out very thinly, It's like a pole with long spikes attached to it. It might look a lot better if the thick branches are shorter and there are more leaves. Less straight branches might also help since they are totally straight right now, the oak for example has lots of bends in em.

The texture does look very nice, I really like it.

Looking at the Olive Tree I really like that one, they finally look more like olive trees and the size of em at the mature stage is quite nice, in the last stages they are quite wide, maybe a bit to wide? I haven't seen any place on test that has a lot of them next to each other (it's all birches, would be great if these models were on the unstable client too since there is a lot more diversity with trees there) so if they remain that big then I think they should act like oaks and kill off everything adjacent to them, it might look very bad otherwise since they pretty much take up an entire tile.

I looked for around 20 minutes for a lemon tree and gave up, are there any on test?

I looked for around 20 minutes for a lemon tree and gave up, are there any on test?

There are a few in Tree Town.

Must say that the textures on all new trees are really nice, crisp and detailed.

Anyway some comments:

1) The branches of the lemon tree seem a bit flimsy to hold such large lemons ;)

2) The width of the olive trees at the later stages is too big if you ask me.

3) The maple tree. I don't know what to say, although the texture is nice, I do not like the model, pretty much the same thing as Ecrir said. I do realise it's not the finished version so that might change.

In overall it's a nice upgrade, really digging the olive tree looking like an actual olive tree, but still my favorite of the new trees is the apple tree!

Yes apple tree rocks <3

The second favorite is the olive tree now, i think okas should get a simmilar trunk structure.

The lemons on the lemon tree are way too big , like the current lemon tree model better atm.

wow, love the olives lol, they were soo creepy before but thats cos i had myc vision on xD

maples and lemons are pretty good, but for some reason the branches/leaves are very flat for me, maybe its my settings,

Good work though !

[2-28-10] [r250] Test server content update.

* Added Worn and decay textures for the bin objects.

* Updated all trees to have flipped leaf normals in the file to support coming client update changes on how we handle trees.

* Maple and olive models have been updated.

* Some textures for different trees have been edited.

* Changed Bushes to hand flipped specs.

* Moved all bushes to one location in the assets.

* Edited the top sail of the Caravel.

* Sail boat and rowboat have had nulls added for mounting of players to facilitate new system testing.

Talking about trees, any plans on the 'shriveled' state being realy obvious?

how about the "setoption test_tree double" option you can do, which cuts the trees in half and look really thin and branches "have fallen off"

how about the "setoption test_tree double" option you can do, which cuts the trees in half and look really thin and branches "have fallen off"

You should not be using that. That was a tool for me to test the new tree changes.

Not at this time.