Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Comment on the kingdom bonus bug

So - as most of you are aware I am trying to get the boat code working well and it is pretty much under way I'd say.

Meanwhile I get reports that the kingdom bonus for Mol Rehan and HOTS is upsetting to the Jenn Kellons because of its impact on PvP and people are taking a break because of that. I also claimed in irc that it may be big and for some players may double it. Now, these recent events made me feel that I had to look at the code and clear things out.

First of all, the bonus is applied to something that is called Combat Rating or CR for short in the system. Every creature has one. It is very similar to the concept of levels in other games, just that it fluctuates a lot more in wurm. It is the basis for calculating the chance to hit another creature. Players have a base combat rating of 4.

If the troll I am fighting has CR 10 and I have CR 4 I have about 4/(10+4) chance to hit the troll, or 29% every attack. The troll on the other hand has 10/14 so it'll hit me 71% of his attacks.

Very simplified. There are parry bonuses and covers involved in that specific algorithm. Also your basic fighting skill is added 1 per 10 in skill, so if you have fighting 59 you have a CR of 4+5.9=9.9 in base CR. Monsters have their type modifying base CR, making Champion creatures have maybe double the figure of the standard type.

A lot of things also affect the combat rating before that algorithm. Things such as footing, if you are prone, certain combat moves affect it negatively, being flanked, height distance to target, focusing, being drunk.. things like that. And also the kingdom bonus.

Now, in Player versus Player combat the base fighting skill is added 1 point per 5 in skill instead, so a player with 99 fighting skill would have like 23.98 in base CR and one with 50 fighting skill would have CR 14.

So how much is the kingdom bonus?

The kingdom bonus is 2 if your kingdom has less than 10% of the server population. It is 1 if the kingdom has 20% or less of the population.

I told Madt in a chat that it could double or triple a players capabilities. That is because in the beginning when I implemented the system the CR was reset to 1 for both players and the fight skill was added with 1 per 10 skill points just as versus monsters. I thought maybe that was the version that is running now but checking the version and the date for the latest update that is not the case. The last update is 7 april and the code contains the current numbers in revisions since the beginning of march.

If you fight with a very poor weapon, or do stuff that makes you very vulnerable your CR is set to 1, and then of course the CR would triple if you add 2. But your opponent probably has more so then it matters little.

I hope this clears things out a bit.

A question is still un-answered in one of Madts concerns though, Madt still had the idea that they are getting the kingdom bonus even though it says they aren't, can you confirm MR aren't getting it?

Also are non-premiums actually being counted? Becuase they shouldn't.

Hang on, if I understand what you're saying correctly.

A player with 59 fighting = 5.9  (then include the base 4)

With the lower bonus, 2 extra CR = equivalent to 20 fighting?

That's way too much!

Hang on, if I understand what you're saying correctly.

A player with 59 fighting = 5.9  (then include the base 4)

With the lower bonus, 2 extra CR = equivalent to 20 fighting?

That's way too much!

No the lower bonus gives +10 fighting because for every 5 fighting you get 1CR in pvp whereas in PVE every 10 fighting you get 1 CR

So:

PVP: Every 5 base fightskill = 1CR

PVE: Every 10 base fightskill = 1CR

So with that underdog bonus the MRs were getting either +10 fightskill (2CR) (with the kingdom 10% or under)

Or +5 fightskill (1CR) (with the kingdom bonus 20% or under)

Omigosh, maths!

So a 70 fighter gets 14 CR points (added for fs) + 4 (basevalue) = 18 CR

Adding 1 CR to this = 1/18'th extra ~5.6%

Adding 2 CR to this = 1/9'th extra ~11%

So with the biggest add (2CR) you get an 11% boost if you're a 70 skill fighter and this should make up for the theoretical pvp oddses being 1 to 9, in a way I think that makes sense.

So, what exactly does the bug do?

Does that mean that anyone on the MR and HOTs side gets +2 CR?

As far as I understand this post:

There is no bug.

There is a bug when it comes to calculating who gets the bonus. The smaller kingdoms may gain the bonus because Jenn is counted twice instead of Jenn once and MR once. But I am trying to explain that it isn't as bad as it may have sounded in IRC.

I think it should be based on who has the least amont of good fighters "50+"

Or just completely remove all major bonuses

Taya is a mag priest I think, plus a leader, Plus the MR fightbonus

That is the MAG bonus + the leader bonus + the MR bonus.

Mag is like a 25% damage boost or something, then there is the (I heard) 50%+ damage and 50% damage reduction due to being ruler. then there is the whatever kingdom bonus is...

sum them all up.

can someone verify a few things on this for me then:

1. the bug is that MR is getting the bonus when they should not?

2. BL should still be getting the bonus?

3. the bonus is working as intended?

Re: wwwiiol

1. Yes if the kingdom status says that they do and they have more than 20% premium players

2. Yes if the kingdom status says that they do and they have less than 20% premium players

3. Yes and it is not as big as some people feared.

Locking the thread now. The idea of this thread is not to discuss the existance of bonuses or post your opinions about the sizes of them :)