Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paren

Books

4 minutes ago, Tallios said:

I believe the "press" she is talking about is strictly for making the paper.  Not the modern printing press.

A stamping mill.  However we already have papyrus in the game for writing, and making it isn't so complicated.  Wouldn't be a very strong point to change the way we make papyrus just for the making of books, especially when we don't need a new system just for sewing papyrus into a binding and case.

9 hours ago, Slickshot said:

A stamping mill.  However we already have papyrus in the game for writing, and making it isn't so complicated.  Wouldn't be a very strong point to change the way we make papyrus just for the making of books, especially when we don't need a new system just for sewing papyrus into a binding and case.

either way I would just like to see a way that we could make books that are worth something more than "roleplay lore"

I agree with you Tallios.

The materials already exist in the game, so why not have the means to sew papyri together within a binding?

Having the means to craft books would at another dynamic to the game.

Priests could craft a book dedicated to their deity. Having such a book available for followers, could aid in advancement.

Could have books that could benefit in skill development, much the same as an enchanted tool.

So many aspects of the game could be greatly enhanced if a method to make a book was available.

How many players currently in the game, right now, have been playing for years. What lore, in a game term, is available within the game? Without having to go to wurmpedia. There isn't any player experiences there.

If books were an item that could be crafted, then there would be the experiences of players, leaving something of them available to other players.

I have played in other games, with books that were available, often had players write short stories, poetry, ballads and the like. Sure there was a fee, and there was a market for it.

Bump!

I love the idea of books and I like the idea of a book being a container for sheets of paper. This would keep books from needing their own UI. They would be lovely for in game story libraries, area histories, and eye witness chronicles of in game events. However, it would be better for this idea if the character limit on papyrus sheets were higher... say 500 characters.

However, wurm would definitely need some kind of movable type to facilitate duplicating books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movable_type

Big +1 to books. It would be wonderful for my morrowind themed server.