Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paren

Books

Keep up the ideas!

I'm amazed my topic got 240 views so quickly!

However, for the sake of convenience, (unless books are supposed to be like a treasure for the skilled or "rich")

perhaps its' making could be easier? :)

Writing skill = good idea, because we need skills for everything. ;D

Edit: wrong number of views :(

I played Asheron's Call years and years and years ago. It had Tomes and Books. We would have every member of our allegiance make a page (or more) his or her own. (No, we were not a group of Role-Playing douchebags. The entries varied in content and subject.) After two years, we had a whole library of people describing themselves in books. It was a wealth of nostalgia and memories. It gave our entire Allegiance a sense of pride and history.

People who quit the game, who grew from fledgling newbies into famous players, and on a few sad occaisions even those that had passed away were all captured, in their very own words, in the game itself for us all to remember. After years of playing, it wasn't our items or our levels that were our most prized possesion, but these books. They were a symbol of our group and why we enjoyed playing the game-- together.

This is only one use. A very specific use, actually, for such a thing. This idea is as far reaching as the players' imagination. Someone had mentioned writing down his fat rhymes in a book. I think it would be awesome to find an abandoned village and read some of the things they might have thought worth writing. Even though a lot of the time it would be "COCKS COCKS COCKS LOL," there are still a fair amount of decent people that float through Wurm to leave pieces of themselves.

Any of these people who have thought this was a bad idea are the same people that grind masonry on grindstones and live in horrible looking nested square villages until they quit the game six months later. These are the type of people that I wish would continue to pay money for the game, but stop putting their tripe of an excuse for thoughts onto the game's public resources.

I am whole-heartedly behind this feature. I've thought about it myself many times, but have lost faith in small game-like additions to be added. If I were Rolf, I'd hate having to rake through this forum of to find the small shreds of genuine excellence such as this-- which is why I doubt he frequents things like this very often.

+1

I also feel likes teslas. I really want books, and I would write a few myself. Finding log books and journals in old villages would be awesome :)

If I would implement it I would do it something like this:

* New fish - the squid, which would yield 1 kg ink (10 pages) if you used a jar or similar on it.

* A quill pen made from a pheasant tailfeather (like someone suggested).

* Paper - I'm not sure, but water + woodscrap would be pretty easy. This paper mass would be enough for 1 page, and have to be dried before you could use it. (Reaching 100 damage, would be done in about an hour real time by leaving it outside)

Two types of "books":

* Book 2 kg - Plank + leather -> Create -> Book.

Then use a pen on the book and a window similar to all windows we have would pop up, where you can write whatever you want and see how many pages you have "used". Then you "finish" it and a timer starts, depending on how many words you wrote. Not a long timer at all, but at least something. When the timer finishes the same amount of pages that you wrote will be removed from your inventory, as well as 0.1 kg ink per page.

The maximum amount of pages you can write would be equal to mind logic, and bookmaking would be based on this stat too.

* Scroll 0.5 kg - Shaft + paper -> Create -> Scroll.

You would only be able to write 1 page on scrolls, but they would be lighter and add some variation.

I would love to see some way for me to leave stuff behind. Books, maybe some sort of thing with a lot of text that could be displayed and that lasted a while would be awesome. I would really love to see something like scrolls made though so I can leave behind notes for people instead of renaming a hide to say quiver4kyrosplz.  :)

I can see it now...

A library for all players to research skill building, crafting lore, and information about the surrounding lands and their communities/villages. It would be a boon for new players to find the information they need.

Of course there should also be a bookshelf that can only hold books, but would reduce their decay to 0 until the bookshelf itself has decayed (thus leaving the books on the ground).

Well said, teslas.

+10

Double Quote for the win.

Books would be an important aspect of Wurm, adding new possibilities and various roleplay moments, as well as certain thrills to treasure finders who bash their way through a cave full of champs to find a valuable "spellbook" (which would essentially be a guide of "How to cast spells as a priest of ---").

May I also add that books above 20QL will be undecayable, and the only way to get rid of them will be to "burn" them in any kinda fire. Imping Books would pretty much only effect the leather "cover" of the book by imping with stuff like more leather, use mallet on book, random wurm stuff like that., not make the pages like all runed and gold-plated in an imaginary aspect, also high-ql completed books with more than 20 pages and not filled with noobish gibberish would be worth something like 1 silver to traders.

there are no books :)

first two entries in game back story

Year 0 NT

A new way of tracking the flow of time is established by the Ageless. Anyone found using the old system -- now called 'ancient time' -- is burned at the stake, and all written text in the known lands is transferred to the Library of Sorrow.

Year 56 NT

The Library of Sorrow burns, triggering the Great Uprising.

chk it out in wiki to see the rest

Year 990

A great scribe of Mol Rehan picks up his Quill and starts making books. Soon The Horde of the Summoned finds one of theese and is lured back to the thrill of recording words on paper, while Jenn-Kellon still despises this action, their King is getting more lured back to the Ancient Library than ever.

These ideas are awesome!

Also I was thinking about removing the iunstructions how to build things on the wiki (im craizy) and replace it by crafting books in wich you write how to build certain things and informations about them....

For example i just discoverd i can make mallet from mallet head and a shaft, i could write a book for newbees telling them what do you need to do that, how to do it, make sugestions and give advice... then putting the book in the NT library for everyone to read...

Ofcorse these books would have a better use for something more complicated tomake like a boat.

hope my idea will not be flamed :-S

Yay! I'm still getting ideas!

Great guys, these latest suggestions/add-ons are great!

Year 990

A great scribe of Mol Rehan picks up his Quill and starts making books. Soon The Horde of the Summoned finds one of theese and is lured back to the thrill of recording words on paper, while Jenn-Kellon still despises this action, their King is getting more lured back to the Ancient Library than ever

Yay! i can already see the title!

"[scribe]"  ;D

heheh, seriously though, keep up the good work.

Yeah... I can't support any of that roleplay crap myself, but some people get off on it-- another use for books that some can enjoy.

bad idea, books have no real uses/purposes it would be more useless than candles. all of the stuff you wrote down would just be pointless to write in a book and if you needed to write income charts or something then do it on the village forum or in notepad or something. books are pointless.

All you have to say is -1

if books were introduced into wurm i would say that new titles would be in order. A few I thought of were "Scribe,Poet,Writer,Story Teller" If anyone else have title ideas for a new skill involving books add to the list.  ;D

Melros, I think most titles would only be created on a skill base, things like 'story teller' just get to vague, as someone who has a writing skill of 50 but only does village notices would not be a story tller at all.

Keep it coming.

Using books like containers that only hold papyrus would be nice.  The ql of the book binding effects how many pages it can hold.  Once you've completed a book (however much you can add due to ql, or desire to add to it) you could have a "Finalize" option when right clicking.  That would "finish" the book, and make any further edits impossible, which would add a unique quality to written text, documents, stories, etc.  Make it happen. :)

On 6/1/2008 at 1:14 PM, Guest Paren said:

-Notice: I checked to see similar threads, and this seems pretty original-

PLEASE ADD ON! I'M ONLY TRYING TO GIVE AN IDEA OF THIS SUGGESTION! THE INITIAL IDEA IS NEVER THE BEST!

thanks you for reading  :)

I would throw this out for the more "practical minded" people.  Why not allow books to give an Education Buff?  What I mean is that if you write a book about a subject and if you "read" it you get a small skill increase towards that 1 skill for 1 day.  

You would need 2 leather pieces, thread, 10 pages, and tar for binding.

Weight of the book would range from 0.10 to 1.00 kilo's. in effect the higher the weight the more of your skill notes you could make.

You could add pages to the book by activating a page and Combine it.

You could improve quality with ink, pages, thread, leather.  (improve quality would be capped by author's subject skill level

Repair would be the same.

Each skill tick with the book bonus would be 1/10,000th of the skill in the book.  So a Max quality written by someone with the highest skill would give a bonus 0.01 to skill gains.  Or something like.  If you are not the author of the book you would get a learning penalty to the boost based on the difference in your level and the books level.  So that allows Masters to write books to help others but it's not as effective as them writing their own.  But no matter what it will help improve a skill faster.

oh yeah, and the best place to keep them safe with least amount of Decay is in a house, on a shelf.

As for obtaining the "buff" you would need to pick up the book and "read" it.  Thus causing a small amount of damage.  The larger the book, the longer it would take to read, and so on.

Edited by Tallios

Wow.  An 8 year old necro.  Is this a record?  :)

But yeah, books would be cool. 

1 hour ago, Amadee said:

Wow.  An 8 year old necro.  Is this a record?  :)

But yeah, books would be cool. 

I revived an older thread recently (in terms of when it was created), but this is definitely the oldest recent-post date revival.  Instead of making new threads about these topics I figured might as well go to the near-original--if not original--source and bring it back.  Reduce the crypt and all that.

Edited by Slickshot

I seen book shelves, thought there would be books, but there is only papyrus making as skill, but could there also be vellum making as part of the leatherworking, since it is made from a sheep hide. Many ancient books used vellum before paper, and what better use for horses when they die, not only can you carve them for meat, but use their hooves to make glue for various applications but not excluding use for bookbinding. Would need to make a press, since the first book press was made out of wood and used a crafted screw, once pressed and the screw locked, weights were also added. With mallet in hand, a special needle, sinew and /or string was used to thread the pages. Iron rings and metal/slate plates were inscribed with etches, these could be included as the making of books, especially since their are priests in the game. Could also add scribe to the skill of book making, it would include the ability to illustrate since there exist store signs. Many skills already exist in Wurm that could part of the whole process of crafting books to fill book cases.

4 hours ago, Aszhrae said:

I seen book shelves, thought there would be books, but there is only papyrus making as skill, but could there also be vellum making as part of the leatherworking, since it is made from a sheep hide. Many ancient books used vellum before paper, and what better use for horses when they die, not only can you carve them for meat, but use their hooves to make glue for various applications but not excluding use for bookbinding. Would need to make a press, since the first book press was made out of wood and used a crafted screw, once pressed and the screw locked, weights were also added. With mallet in hand, a special needle, sinew and /or string was used to thread the pages. Iron rings and metal/slate plates were inscribed with etches, these could be included as the making of books, especially since their are priests in the game. Could also add scribe to the skill of book making, it would include the ability to illustrate since there exist store signs. Many skills already exist in Wurm that could part of the whole process of crafting books to fill book cases.

I wasn't thinking anything quite this complicated.  Keep in mind this is medieval themed, and they did not have book presses; everything was written by hand.  Also, books in medieval times were bound to wooden plates which were covered with leather for decorating purposes.

they did have books, they were just very expensive. It was quite the undertaking to create one. Since there is already a press that appears to have a metal plate and the means of applying one of the simple machines (screw) to move the press downwards which appears to be made of iron, it makes sense there would at least be the means to make vellum. It would only require the addition of resource, salt, which is a very important resource, no matter the civilization. In history, making vellum from the hide of a lambskin has been around for ages. The process, would take a while. A suitable lamb's hide would be required, then the application of a salt bath to soften the hide, press it to flatten it, bathe, flatten again and so on, until it became very thin. It would require scissors to cut into pages. Same process to craft vellum could be used to thin hides or leather to a suitable thickness to be used as the book cover. Sinew, not thread, though, wemp could be used also, iron needle and mallet to thread binding to hold the pages in place after many pages of vellum were pressed, after being inscribed upon, to squeeze out all the air. Quite the task. That's why only the wealthy, clergy and well-to-do aristocrats ever had books or even a library. Valuable treasure worthy of trade.

There is also embossing, precious metals inlay upon book covers, precious metal leafing, gemstone and semi-precious insets. Quite the offering for a sacrifice if the player was such a zealot to sacrifice considering the amount of effort required to craft a book.

Oldest university in the world, had many books on hides. Library of Alexandria had scrolls, and many of them were on vellum, not papyrus (the paupers paper).

Much of the equipment required in the making of a book already exists in the game.

41 minutes ago, Aszhrae said:

they did have books, they were just very expensive. It was quite the undertaking to create one. Since there is already a press that appears to have a metal plate and the means of applying one of the simple machines (screw) to move the press downwards which appears to be made of iron, it makes sense there would at least be the means to make vellum. It would only require the addition of resource, salt, which is a very important resource, no matter the civilization. In history, making vellum from the hide of a lambskin has been around for ages. The process, would take a while. A suitable lamb's hide would be required, then the application of a salt bath to soften the hide, press it to flatten it, bathe, flatten again and so on, until it became very thin. It would require scissors to cut into pages. Same process to craft vellum could be used to thin hides or leather to a suitable thickness to be used as the book cover. Sinew, not thread, though, wemp could be used also, iron needle and mallet to thread binding to hold the pages in place after many pages of vellum were pressed, after being inscribed upon, to squeeze out all the air. Quite the task. That's why only the wealthy, clergy and well-to-do aristocrats ever had books or even a library. Valuable treasure worthy of trade.

There is also embossing, precious metals inlay upon book covers, precious metal leafing, gemstone and semi-precious insets. Quite the offering for a sacrifice if the player was such a zealot to sacrifice considering the amount of effort required to craft a book.

Oldest university in the world, had many books on hides. Library of Alexandria had scrolls, and many of them were on vellum, not papyrus (the paupers paper).

Much of the equipment required in the making of a book already exists in the game.

Books were not made with a press in medieval times.  They were hand written with the pages being sewn into the binding and encased in wood.

5 hours ago, Slickshot said:

Books were not made with a press in medieval times.  They were hand written with the pages being sewn into the binding and encased in wood.

I believe the "press" she is talking about is strictly for making the paper.  Not the modern printing press.