Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paren

Books

-Notice: I checked to see similar threads, and this seems pretty original-

-I decided to make this suggestion because of this page: http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=1493.0 on cabinets...

Books, a wonderful thing many MMORPGs, or any MMO for that matter, do not have. Wurm is pioneering at many new things, why not player made books?

A book might be created out of:

1 leather strap, created like a belt?

1 leather binding, created like a jacket with less material?

x pages of paper, of which I have no idea how you would make it in this game.

x = number of pages /2

to write in a book, ink might be used? (or nothing, but..)

ink would be made out of a berry and some tool.

ink would be carried as a liquid.

pen/quill

a quill would most likely work better, it could be butchered from a bird (such as a hen or rooster)

You would select the quill or ink and right click the other, on the drop menu, "dip" would be selected and you could begin writing x characters, then you need to dip again. (- .1 weight per dip?)

Books could decay slowly, ql being important, they are extremely flammable

Books have a variety of uses- chronicles, rules, tips and tricks, secrets, journals, income charts...

It would be a brilliant day when you find some ancient book lying around in a razed city while exploring,

or finding ou how to best raise your skills,

or to have an easy ingame way to track your villages' surplus/deficit.

PLEASE ADD ON! I'M ONLY TRYING TO GIVE AN IDEA OF THIS SUGGESTION! THE INITIAL IDEA IS NEVER THE BEST!

thanks you for readingĀ  :)

• Like 1

I'd love to see this.

However, I think ink should be made from coal and water, and quill should be made by using a carving knife on pheasant tail feathers.

bad idea, books have no real uses/purposes it would be more useless than candles. all of the stuff you wrote down would just be pointless to write in a book and if you needed to write income charts or something then do it on the village forum or in notepad or something. books are pointless.

Books are pointless because books are pointless. Great addition to the thread, Sheep.

I'd love running across someone's journal or book of tricks during a raid or simply when walking by an abandoned settlement..

I like the idea; but any information required we would simply just look into the wiki, so information books are blown out of the water. You would need to rename books to tell what they are about, and immature players would use stupid names, so I reckon it would have flaws but the fundamentals sound rather good, to me at least.

They may be pointless to some extent - but they could be used to write diaries, journals, explorer books, biographies, and I'm sure books written by people such as GM's might sell well in the marketplace.

There could be a world of possibility and usage for them if one uses one's imagination, so I'm saying +1.

+1 i need somethin to write my rhyems in wurm for all those to marvel at.

I think that this is a great idea. Time to start building a library. Add a writing skill as well, increasing your writing speed or the quality of your books so that they don't decay as quickly?

I like the idea; but any information required we would simply just look into the wiki, so information books are blown out of the water. You would need to rename books to tell what they are about, and immature players would use stupid names, so I reckon it would have flaws but the fundamentals sound rather good, to me at least.

They may be pointless to some extent - but they could be used to write diaries, journals, explorer books, biographies, and I'm sure books written by people such as GM's might sell well in the marketplace.

There could be a world of possibility and usage for them if one uses one's imagination, so I'm saying +1.

+1, especially on the last line.

I think I'd find myself using books for some things, providing that they would be relatively easy to craft and edit, and not too limited space-wise.

I think I'd write stuff that I may use notepad for, since I find it annoying to alternate between windows (even though I'm running wurm in a window). I think using notepad or pen & pencil is so vital to Wurm, that it could be considered a game feature, and should therefor definitely be made into one!

Honestly, I think writing should be implemented as a kind of replacement for NotePad. Not for realism or such, but as a nice "in-game-character"-way of writing stuff like diaries, biographies, letters, and even the role-play stuff like poems and stories to fill libraries with!

I would certainly be a frequent visitor to a well-filled library, with content written by other Wurmians, both Lords and GMs as well as simple hermits.

Imagine The Wurmian Times sold in Newtown on merchant! :D

• Like 1

The more ideas that stream in, the more I like this idea. :)

And, as Danny said, some of the more immature players would of course write things like "profanity, profanity, ethnic slur" or "fgsfds", but this could be solved (to a lesser extent) by having some requirements you need to fill to write a book..

:D

you would have to make a library outta planks and such... and fill it up with books

you could use coal to make pencils or woad to create blue ink...

soo many possibilitiesĀ  :)

+1, especially on the last line.

I think I'd find myself using books for some things, providing that they would be relatively easy to craft and edit, and not too limited space-wise.

I think I'd write stuff that I may use notepad for, since I find it annoying to alternate between windows (even though I'm running wurm in a window). I think using notepad or pen & pencil is so vital to Wurm, that it could be considered a game feature, and should therefor definitely be made into one!

Honestly, I think writing should be implemented as a kind of replacement for NotePad. Not for realism or such, but as a nice "in-game-character"-way of writing stuff like diaries, biographies, letters, and even the role-play stuff like poems and stories to fill libraries with!

I would certainly be a frequent visitor to a well-filled library, with content written by other Wurmians, both Lords and GMs as well as simple hermits.

Imagine The Wurmian Times sold in Newtown on merchant! :D

I would definitely buy the wurmian times if it was on a merchant :)

Maybe in a library, you could take books from it but not be able to leave without dropping them first - and dropping them anywhere put them back in their correct place or something; and logging out with a book on you means you drop it, like artifacts when you log off; and then it goes back to the right place anyway.

This could also bring a world of opportunity to a similar system for renting beds - renting books! 1c per day, and say you paid the owner of the library 1c, you could hold the book for 1 day before it returns to the library or something. This may not be possible to actually code, I'm not sure; but it would be awesome.

Instead of ranting on the forum or to another player; like in real life when you can write an angry letter to someone then not post it; you could write a rant book and never publish it; maybe a rule that publishing rant books to others or creating inappropriate or profane books will get you a small ban or something.

To co-incide with my above paragraph, when you create a book with the title; like your name goes onto a guard tower when you create it, the name of the creator of the book would appear when you examine it, and on the front cover. (eg. Created by Dannyiron)

And also, I agree with you Elias; I certainly would be a frequent library visitor. Ancient players could write books on their points of view on Wurm and such; which can be read by the future generations of wurmians - books written by older players that no longer play or have quit, then they will not be forgotten within a library's distance community.

This does sound like a lovely idea to me. Again, +1.

:D

you would have to make a library outta planks and such... and fill it up with books

you could use coal to make pencils or woad to create blue ink...

soo many possibilitiesĀ  :)

Pencils - a new use for lead!

there are no books :)

first two entries in game back story

Year 0 NT

A new way of tracking the flow of time is established by the Ageless. Anyone found using the old system -- now called 'ancient time' -- is burned at the stake, and all written text in the known lands is transferred to the Library of Sorrow.

Year 56 NT

The Library of Sorrow burns, triggering the Great Uprising.

chk it out in wiki to see the rest

Well, pencils aren't literally made out of lead, they're made out of graphite..

wheren't the original pencils made from reeds filled with lead, hence the name?

I think they were.

Great idea, not so much the books; but the concept of writing down text for everyone to open and read.

This has been suggested many times already.

The origins of today's pencil goes back to 1565, when a grey-black glistending substance was found in Borrowdale, in the Cumberland hills of England. It was said to be a 'lead' coloured material, greasy to touch an quick to stain the fingers. This substance became known as black-lead, an was found to be more convenient for a writing an drawing than pen and ink, as it's marks could be easily rubbed out.

http://www.faber-castell.com.au/docs/default-news.asp?id=19464&domid=1010&sp=E&addlastid=&m1=14248&m2=16959&m3=19364&m4=19464

Thanks for looking at the thread guys! Great ideas!

I hope something like books are implemented, even if they're there just to be there.

i had a similar idea some time ago, but about sheets of paper.

dunno how they'd be created, but i can think of dozen of uses:

+ activate sheet of paper, right clkick door/wall/tree/something else > leave a note (need to have 1 small nails in your inv)

+ makin a list of items for villagers to make

+ village "to do" list

u could write on it only once. depending on its ql (or your "writting skill"?) it'd have "msg written by <chopped nick>" after examining it.

i had a similar idea some time ago, but about sheets of paper.

dunno how they'd be created, but i can think of dozen of uses:

+ activate sheet of paper, right clkick door/wall/tree/something else > leave a note (need to have 1 small nails in your inv)

+ makin a list of items for villagers to make

+ village "to do" list

u could write on it only once. depending on its ql (or your "writting skill"?) it'd have "msg written by <chopped nick>" after examining it.

Maybe, a noticeboard made in a similar way as a large sign, but requires twice the amount of resources.

It can be stuck in the ground and you can write notes and stick them up.

how its done according to wiki

Papermaking, regardless of the scale on which it is done, involves making a dilute suspension of fibers in water and allowing this suspension to drain through a screen such that a mat of randomly interwoven fibers is laid down. Water is removed from this mat of fibers by pressing and drying to make paper.

so from this we we see the first thing we need is a screen, lets say 2 planks of wood, and a few small nails for the frame and a sqare peiceĀ  of cloth for the the actuall screen.

next we need a pulp material..... can i suggest wemp fibre.

next we need a place to keep the suspension....a bucket ?

and then we need to pulp the material in water and mix it up..... a milk churn perhaps?

once we have a suspension of a good consistancy we pour it into the screen to drain....Ā  then onto a sheet to dry.

once its dry we have raw paper.

next we need a pulp material..... can i suggest wemp fibre.(why not wood scrap?)