Sign in to follow this  
Mrbloodworth

[1-1-10] [r216] Test server content update.

The same thing that prompted us to revamp the crops, also caused us to revamp the steppe grass, and normal grass. Those items are a work in progress and will be adjusted.

* New steppe grass

* New Grass grass

* Spring is back on the test server

* All barrel like items (Tubs, cheese drills, Large barrels, Fruit presses, and the unfinished versions) now use a unique texture depending on the wood type used.

It would be most helpful if players could test all the barrel like items (Finished and unfinished) to make sure all the mappings are correct and the correct texture is used.

Currently building the items. I will update this post with screenshots.

wurm201001012318.png

Unfinished birchwood bucket is borked, but so far everything else seems alright.

If your looking for more stuff to model, a new forge would be useful, the old ones is really bland.

If your looking for more stuff to model, a new forge would be useful, the old ones is really bland.

And metal altars!

And all other furniture!

And...

I like the different textures on the barrels and tubs.

I also like the new grass, look much more lush and real.

what i don't like is the way to light green "moss" under the grass, it makes a strange look with the darker grass.  so darken the ground under the grass a bit.

The new barrels looks great! I really like the new grass hue as well, but as Solver already said the ground underneath it is too bright. The Steppe is pure awesome!

The barrels got me to thinking, though. What about painting stuff? Up until now i've never painted an object because, frankly, it looks awful. The color is just an shoddy overlay that even covers the metal ribbons on the barrels, making it look out of place... as if its not part of the game but instead some sort of buggy test graphic.

With new awesome looking barrels like this i would never even consider painting them, ever.

I'm guessing things like a Grapewood fruitpress are just going to use the default "barrels.jpg" texture?

Apple, Cedar, Oak, Olive and Willow are awesome.

Rest aren't too bad.

Kinda wish I made everything Apple instead of Oak now ):

what i don't like is the way to light green "moss" under the grass, it makes a strange look with the darker grass.  so darken the ground under the grass a bit.

Those items are a work in progress and will be adjusted.

I've been waiting for this day for a looong time. :)

• unfinished huge tub is using birch texture for all wood types
  • huge tubs have a wrongly-colored line on the inside
    Oot6j.jpg
  • unfinished buckets have a round dark spot at the bottom on two sides (see image above)
  • bottommost ribbon seen from the inside of a huge tub looks a bit weird - too thin
  • finished small bucket texture is birch for all wood types
  • finished fruit presses always using birch texture
  • unfinished cheese drill always using birch texture
  • there are no wood textures for all the bush types - there are rosewood cheese drills for example, because they can be finished with sprouts. ;)
  • Unfinished birchwood buckets are causing snow blindness if looked at for too long (this is illuminated by the new player faint light only and a bit of sunlight).
    2GZfg.jpg
  • excessive light reflection on pinewood: illuminated by 80ql 245 r,g,b painted lantern. It's worse when not scaled down.
    SFkBK.jpg
    Birchwood items are equally bad, the same applies to the inside of a lemonwood tub and oakenwood items to some extent:
    eBx70.jpg

• fruit presses and cheese drills are also too bright when illuminated by white lanterns.
    Birchwood fruit press illuminated by sun and "newbie light":
    vah0o.jpg

I think the grass sprites are way too saturated, they should match the grass tile texture more (or the other way around). It's too green for natural grass, more looks like a well taken care of lawn. Apart from that, awesome progress! :)

I feel like all the ground textures have been changed so much while other things more in need are taking a backseat.  They all looked fine, and some now look a bit cartoony.

Grass and fields for instance, it looks nice, but now on the unstable it looks cartoonishly green.  Almost electrifyingly fake, and it seems really artificial than realistic.  No grass is really that green in my opinion, really needs to be desaturated a bit.

The tops of the fields look like highlighter yellow, and I am not sure why.  They seem to be wheat, yet you don't have them as tan.  I'd rather see them more of a golden beige color, like real crops:

yellowt.png

All crops use the same texture currently.

Mr B has stated its a work in progress and he has plans to make each crop type have its own texture.

The yellow-green to gold colors is an indicator or the last ripe growth stage.

(If you see gold you don't have long to harvest before its gone.)

I think crops are fine for now while he works on other projects.

Great job Mr B, Dashiva, testers, and anyone else involved!

Don't alter crops for the time being.

it is by far the best crop graphics so far.

Grass on the unstable client looks good, however I wish it was a bit taller. You weren't around for the old grass (or I don't think you were) but it was very long. It was the kind that you could hide a crocodile in. Anyway, grass right now is a little bit short and has some rather ugly spots were a lot of it is missing. I've got my setting on extreme for grass density, so it would make sense if there was some more of it.

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys. I plan on spending a bit of time with the wood of the textures, and the "grass grass" was done quickly just so we had something in place. The small unfinished seems to simply be broken in a number of ways, and ill look to correct that soon.

As far as the ground textures, nothing has changed other than size, if you recall the last update where I explained what was going on I think I mentioned that the colors/brightness would be different than what you had previously (because we removed a color and brightness shift that the client was applying).

The crops, are working as intended, there are two stages where they are able to be harvested (or at least, when you should harvest them), those two stages have the yellow added to show this visuial indication. Posteh, the stage in your first image seems to be the first of the harvest(s) stage, a transition between the full green buds at the top, and the full yellow of the last stage.

Anyway, its now a process of "dialing in" all those elements now that all the pieces are in place and all the client adjustments have been removed. However, there is a rather major adjustment to how we handle terrain altogether coming down the pipe, so I won't be dedicating a large chunk of time to this stuff.

also, Posteh, up your terrain resolution man! ( Your feedback is noted, just wanted to ask that you bump that up though :) )

Oh, lastly, the "bush" woods were not part of this Version OneTM. This was intended, not missed.

But again, thank all of you for the actionable feedback, it is just whats needed to polish this stuff off.  8)

For reference:

wurm201001031233_1.png?t=1262486301

Cedar, Pine, Apple, Birch, Cherry, Lemon, Maple, Oak, Olive, Willow

Sneaky, or someone should wiki that pic.

assuming that is wha'ts going in the game.

I'm curious, but do you plan n doing this new wood texture to houses as well? and fences. and perhaps palisades, etc. etc.

Or just crafted items.

Houses, Fences and Palisades don't retain a memory of what wood they were made of, so I don't think it's possible.

I'm absolutely going to build every barrel from applewood now ;D

nice work as usual, will this be passed over to the upcoming signs as well ?

Does the background tile for the grass need to be closer to the colour of the sprite? At the moment, even on extreme there appears to be bald patches in the grass, and on medium, where many people will have it set, that is even more noticible.

Can I also put in a plea for new stone walls? Mortimar was going to do both the fence and the wall at the same time to make the more rustic. The fence was done, which was wonderful, but the wall wasn't

This is a nice one:

drystone-wall-1.jpg

Notice the larger stones used as capping. This is common with drystone walls as it makes the top more stable.