Sign in to follow this  
amorfides

QOL height information

A few related QOL suggestions:

• Add the ability to view the height of a cave
  • Present the maximum height (256 according to forum) in some way, maybe examining a cave tile (floor or roof) with a pickaxe activated could mention how much height can still be added. 
  • Add the ability to see the slope of a ceiling in the same way as with tiles on the ground. 
  • When exporting the map of a deed it only includes relative heights regarding the deed itself but not regarding the world, so if your deed does not contain water and you want to plan anything regarding water or caves (when these eventually get added to this tool), you need to manually go to the nearest place where there is water and use a whole calculation of the slopes on your path to figure out at which height your deed resides.

Thank you for your consideration :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, amorfides said:
  • When exporting the map of a deed it only includes relative heights regarding the deed itself but not regarding the world, so if your deed does not contain water and you want to plan anything regarding water or caves (when these eventually get added to this tool), you need to manually go to the nearest place where there is water and use a whole calculation of the slopes on your path to figure out at which height your deed resides.

I am not sure I understand what you mean here?

3 hours ago, Drogos said:

I am not sure I understand what you mean here?

At the settlement token you have the option to export a map of your deed. This map can be used in other tools outside of wurm to do planning. However, the heights mentioned in this plan are relative to the lowest point of the deed itself. 

This means that if your deed is situated on a mountain with no water in sight, the heights in this map won't be the same as the height it is actually in game. 
For example, your deed is on a mountain 2000 dirt above water, the height of corners shown on the map will be 0, 20, 100,... , while in game those same corners would be 2000,2020 2100,... 

Knowing the right height of your deed is important if you want to plan anything with water or want to plan an entrance for a cave or something like that. 

7 hours ago, amorfides said:

you need to manually go to the nearest place where there is water and use a whole calculation of the slopes on your path to figure out at which height your deed resides.

If this part was confusing you, that's the way I got to find out the actual height of my deed. Where there's water the altitude is 0. So if you'd like to know what the altitude of your deed is, you need to go to water (altitude 0) and then use a shovel or pickaxe to look at the slopes and use a tool like a calculator or a spreadsheet to note down every slope on your way to your deed, adding and subtracting the slopes you come across. 

HGJwfhK.png

I did that like this, keeping track of the directions the path takes to make it easier to retrace my steps. Since adding up a lot (220 in my case) of slopes of tiles like that can easily let you make a mistake :p. 

My suggestion on that note is basically to implement an option so people can see the altitude of their deed. Could be done by implementing it in the map that can be exported, could be done by examining the corners of tiles,... Just something easier than needing an hour of calculating. 😛

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zakiah said:

That last one sounds a lot like what I was hoping they'd implement:

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/192106-corner-elevation-on-waystones/

(Don't know how to do the fancy insert-post-brief-in-message thing)

Yes, it's actually the same issue. It could be at a waystone, a deed token,... Just anything that's easier than the current system. 😛 

36 minutes ago, amorfides said:

At the settlement token you have the option to export a map of your deed. This map can be used in other tools outside of wurm to do planning. However, the heights mentioned in this plan are relative to the lowest point of the deed itself.

Oh, I had no idea, only ever has waterline deeds myself. But got my hands on an export from a montainious deed, and there I see lowest point is placed at 5 height. Then I agree on all points in OP, giving a thumbs up!

• Like 2