Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: Canoe Believe It?!

21 minutes ago, Crack said:

I just cant understand why theres still been no response of any kind as of yet attempting to reassure any of the player base or damage controll this situation.. its just being left to fester and spread.. and upsetting the player base futher.

Because those who are damaged by the Trader removal thing are vets player mostly (big deeds, many big deeds sometimes etc...) and they know despite we are annoyed, we complain, we feel offended ... we are addict and we will stay.

They know we won't leave the game "just" for this thing as we are vet addict players.

Imagine now a change about tutorial or something new players (so new customers) would complain, they would have already answered, clarified, removed the problem.

• Like 3

Id just like to know why really.. a technical issue? A business decision? (Money). It makes no sense to even announce it without reasoning, its an own goal.

You never know it might be a completely understandable reason, though the silence does lead one to think otherwise.

This type of incident happens fairly often in wurm, it baffles me and leaves an extremely bad taste in the mouth.

Does wurm not have a PR manager?

I always thought there was one in the past.

Edited by Crack
  • Like 4

"Coming some time during June, we will be introducing a new Shop UI which makes purchasing items normally bought from Traders much more convenient. This does, sadly, signal the end of Traders themselves. Once this update goes live, Traders will no longer be able to be purchased. Around that time, we will announce the timeline for the removal of existing Traders. Those who have existing Traders for their deeds will have the price of the Trader refunded to the mayor of the deed. You may also notice a few new tabs:"

the bold worries me the most.  this update coming will stop the buying of traders.  before they even answer us about the upkeep discount.  they have not  thought this through. they are removing the traders as this states. they are thinking through only on when they will remove and refund the trader value to the mayor's.    this states it's being done not in a few months this month....  

sure the 20% discount not mentioned at all. but thats worse to not mention it.  

I'd love them to do this june update without touching the traders. then  do no update at all for july. and work solely on their team communication skills. on how they need to learn to talk to eachother the higher ups. and then the rest of the team to get their input, before posting anything from now on. cus I bet at least half of the volunteer team would have caught the Trader talk and noticed an issue with posting the way they did and maybe thought about it better, and give us the Full info vs seeming like they were hoping most would not notice.  I don't care if they come out and say 2024 no more discount for upkeep. " i lie i'll be ticked" but at least thats info.  

there has been a few times the community has posted the lack of communication from the team.  I'm surprised the owners have not stepped in and demanded a better way of communicating with the player base. 

please there are many collages ,universities   ect that teach business communication . online even .  heck youtube videos.   please work together. 

maybe it's time to let DemonaNightShade. create the post. and then send it to all the team to proof read before posting. and so not to kill the vibe on the other great parts of the update posts.  keep the bad news/ bad idea/ removal  type posts seperarte from the rest of the post. so we can put 8 pages of complaints on that. vs in the same post where we have great ideas, get lost of out thank you's in.   

most of us I believe have passion for this game and it's why we play it. for years. but since this post i have a hard time playing . i log in to enchant grass. then check on the animals. then sit there alt tabbing to the forums. get ticked off again and log out.  this kind of news wurms me out.  I've never posted so many times in one update then i have this one. 

if we do loose the 20% discount to upkeep, then maybe more then one sale a year on prem time and silver. vs just black fridays would help.  4 sales a yr so everyone has a chance to buy at discount and pay 3-6 months of upkeep . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Syhl said:

Because those who are damaged by the Trader removal thing are vets player mostly (big deeds, many big deeds sometimes etc...) and they know despite we are annoyed, we complain, we feel offended ... we are addict and we will stay.

They know we won't leave the game "just" for this thing as we are vet addict players.

A few of the vets I've talked to so far were angry enough about this decision they flatly stated "I'd rather downsize then give them more money." So yeah this decision won't really bring in more silvers short term.

Unless the new "cash shop" has some interesting items to sell. We shall see.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, elentari said:

A few of the vets I've talked to so far were angry enough about this decision they flatly stated "I'd rather downsize then give them more money." So yeah this decision won't really bring in more silvers short term.

Unless the new "cash shop" has some interesting items to sell. We shall see.

No doubt about there will be consequences but i don't think one of us vets will leave or stop Wurm for this kind of change.

If some of us will reduce by 20% size of deeds to compensate ... this won't bring more silvers ... nor less silvers so in fact, company won't loose anything more than now.

If it's confirmed we will loose the 20% upkeep discount (maybe we are complaining for something which won't happen *fingers crossed*) i don't agree and i will be really angry about that but i won't leave the game and i'm sure company knows that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Syhl said:

No doubt about there will be consequences but i don't think one of us vets will leave or stop Wurm for this kind of change.

To be honest ive put alot in again the past year or two. If the Dev team are genuinely going to carry out changes in an aggressive unpopular way then i think im done.

I didnt mind spending money as i wanted to support the game ive enjoyed for many years but sometimes youve just gotta let go before all your good memories are poisened by bad ones.

We'll see how this plays out.. but honestly weve seen a steady decline in vetern players from my time and i honestly believe if the devs dont pull thier finger out and work on PR wurms community will end up completely barren.

At the end of the day alot of the vets alts make up a big chunk of the premium playerbase. You only need to break a few pillars, and things will begin to crumble faster.

This change would force me to downsize or spend significantly more.. if i downsize ill be abandoning alot of recent work and leaving my perimeter as a wasteland.

My biggest issue is with the way this is being carried out.. it gives me little faith in those at the top.. why waste money on a game i cant see surviving, is my thought process right now. 

Its sad as i love wurms community.

But to not provide any further response with the level of player concern? Is madness.

Edited by Crack
  • Like 7

48 minutes ago, Crack said:

To be honest ive put alot in again the past year or two. If the Dev team are genuinely going to carry out changes in an aggressive unpopular way then i think im done.

I didnt mind spending money as i wanted to support the game ive enjoyed for many years but sometimes youve just gotta let go before all your good memories are poisened by bad ones.

We'll see how this plays out.. but honestly weve seen a steady decline in vetern players from my time and i honestly believe if the devs dont pull thier finger out and work on PR wurms community will end up completely barren.

At the end of the day alot of the vets alts make up a big chunk of the premium playerbase. You only need to break a few pillars, and things will begin to crumble faster.

This change would force me to downsize or spend significantly more.. if i downsize ill be abandoning alot of recent work and leaving my perimeter as a wasteland.

My biggest issue is with the way this is being carried out.. it gives me little faith in those at the top.. why waste money on a game i cant see surviving, is my thought process right now. 

Its sad as i love wurms community.

But to not provide any further response with the level of player concern? Is madness.

Totally agree with you, there is more experienced and older players than myself but i've already put hundreds of pounds into this game.

The old timers have put thousands of pounds into this game supporting it, the least they deserve is an explanation on what is happening. I usually have 3 characters on the go and 6 sometimes for sermon alts so I do like this game and support it also,

It is sad to see so many veteran players leaving though, if it wasn't for them the game would have collapsed a long time ago. I never understand why they don't advertise more for this game, when I first started playing I had never heard of the game until a friend told me about it. It needs advertising more so people come into the game.

I welcome what they are trying to do for new players though, making it easier for them to stay in the game. We all try and help new players because the more players in the game the better it is for everyone. 

I'm also thinking of downsizing, I have space planned where buildings are going to go but until I know for sure what is happening I can't touch it. If the discount goes I will have to resize, it is a shame because it spoils the plan of your deed. I plan everything out on deed planner first so will have to see what happens.

I used to play Wurm Unlimited a lot, I mean I prefer Wurm Online but depending what happens I may go back to it. The other updates though I love, I thought they were going in the right direction until the bombshell of the discount. We can only hope they hear us and decide to offer an alternative. The best part of Wurm is the community, I have never known a game with a good a community as Wurm Onlline.

• Like 1

Welp, just found out why the traders might be being removed. I found this from the 06 April 2023 report from the new Ceo of Game Chest Group.

Video Communiqué: Krister Elmgren takes a deep dive into Wurm Online, breaks down numbers and looks at new revenue opportunities.

Krister Elmgren presents Wurm Online and the company's next step for the product. By shining a light on the revenues and dividing them by revenue source, we gain a greater understanding of how we can build the brand further.

"It is with the community that we can grow, to together create added value for the players and become a central hub for Wurm Online. We are proud of our heritage and all of our players, by now increasing revenue we have the conditions to build the game to the next level.”
Krister Elmgren

Earnings Wurm Online, January and February 2023

• Approx. SEK 1,100,000.
  • 56% Sales: Silver coins
  • 33% Sale: Premium subscription
  • 11% Sales: Package
  •  

Wurm Online, the next step
With, as a first step, an increased focus on the sale of the game's currency Silvermynt, the company can increase revenue from the game regardless of the number of players or premium subscribers. The company will soon launch a new web and trading site for Wurm Online with a greater focus on sales, new players and collaborations with affiliates and streamers. We are laying the foundation for increasing the number of players and further developing the game.

----- This has been translated into english - The original link is Here

------------------------

This is also why I feel that the Devs might of not of said anything more because it comes from way up in the company structure.

There is also a video but there are no subtitles so unless anyone speaks the language, I don't know what the Ceo is talking about in more detail..... 

Video here

From reading the 2022 translated version of the Annual report and consolidated accounts for the financial year 2022 - Game Chest Group has been losing money for a while and it was only last year that they finally paid off a loan so the next year or future years are going to be focusing on increasing money or income streams.

More info: This is from the 2022 Annual report so this includes information from the previous CEO -

Spoiler

Game Chest group now closes in 2022, an eventful year for the group marked by changes to the company's board, a rights issue and an overall work on all of the
group's income and expenses.

With the company's new members and its high ambitions, we have together secured the company's financial situation, this via a solid and consistent work of the company's costs and revenues in connection with a rights issue that was decided in December where the board subscribed approximately 38% (3.1 msec).

Debt acquisition of subsidiaries

In an ongoing effort to optimize the company's costs and revenues, the management made a decision to carry out a buyout of all assets of the subsidiary Game Chest Group UK LTD to the parent company during Q4. This will result in lower administrative and financial costs within the group as well as facilitate the work with optimization and further development of the platforms and its synergies with the rest of the company's operational legs.

This transaction has not affected the group's cash flow and we look positively at keeping the company's operations within Sweden going forward.

Financially

Net sales in 2022 amounted to SEK 7,220,584.

The Game Chest group closes the full year 2022 with a negative operating profit of SEK -2,676,831, an improvement over the previous year's operating profit.

The group's EBITDA in 2022 amounted to - SEK 597,547.

The company decided and initiated its rights issue during quarter four, the issue was closed early in Q1 2023 and resulted in the company receiving a liquid of approx. SEK 8m and the number of shares increased by 23,008,315 from 10,677,168 to 33,685,483 shares.

The company paid off the loan, which amounted to SEK 3.4 m. As a result of this, the company now has no remaining loans or interest-bearing debts and thus sees reduced costs. A positive indication for Game Chest group's future financial sustainability.

Looking ahead

We now have a better gross margin through lower platform costs, which gives the opportunity to grow the company's most revenue-driving brands. The plan is set for the new year and we will gradually turn the ship towards creating new sources of income.
I conclude the CEO's speech by saying that I, together with the board, look forward to this year's opportunities.

Robin Backlund
CEO
Game Chest group AB (publ)

If you would like to see the translated document that the following spoiler text is from along with more detailed company information then please visit here

--------- One Final Detail from the Interim report 1 - 2023 that mentions Wurm Online -------

In the first, second and third quarter we will concentrate on Wurm Online, here there is an opportunity to increase the revenue not only from our strongest leg but for the group as a whole. With an increased focus on game mechanics, marketing and storytelling, Wurm Online is not only a source of income but a brand we will take to new levels. In the second quarter, we begin to roll out new in-game products and services, a new brand profile and a website that connects the community, enabling increased revenue and increased exposure.

Edited by Zexos
  • Like 8

On 5/28/2023 at 12:09 PM, Syhl said:

It's exactly what i've think instantly.

No more trader discount means more money spent for future upkeep payment BUT for already paid upkeep means less existing upkeep time as with the same amount in deed coffer it pays less time.

In the past i've seen few thread speaking of ppl making a Wurm pause, paid upkeep to be ok untill they come back at a defined period ... if the end of deed discount means their deed will fall by lack of upkeep earlier thant they expected it could lead them being angry i guess.

this is a concern for me also, i know a few ppl who are on break with pre-paid upkeeps, they will expect that upkeep to last X amount of time, changing that would be super sketchy.....

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, VirusMD said:

this is a concern for me also, i know a few ppl who are on break with pre-paid upkeeps, they will expect that upkeep to last X amount of time, changing that would be super sketchy.....

Most people get several warnings in their email if their deed is about to expire. It's more about RL inflation and how much players can afford to sink into wurm.

I am waiting for them to say you can no longer use silver to pay premium ingame if they want to make money they may do that or look into it .

1 hour ago, elentari said:

Most people get several warnings in their email if their deed is about to expire. It's more about RL inflation and how much players can afford to sink into wurm.

if you pre pay a year upkeep because you have a trader. and you take off to see the world or new job away from home ect.  and you come back a month before the upkeep should be running out. to log in and find your deed gone and most things decayed . would anyone here be ok with that.  emails are not good enough. spam issues . and again not every one has access to emails where they work. or when they go on vacation. 

if they decide to do this removal of the discount.  they need to give those deeds who have X time left of update to the day. the extra silver added to those tokens to last the same time . for any mayor that  has not logged in.   if a mayor does log in. there should be a full screen warning of whats happening. so they can press a button accepting this. and make sure they add the silver to keep the date the same..

again the easiest thing to do is leave the bloody traders alone. or replace them with something that does the same thing discount wise.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I am waiting for them to say you can no longer use silver to pay premium ingame if they want to make money they may do that or look into it .

ouch  and ya i can see that coming soon too. just to force it be a cash thing. 

4 hours ago, Zexos said:

Wurm Online, the next step

With, as a first step, an increased focus on the sale of the game's currency Silvermynt, the company can increase revenue from the game regardless of the number of players or premium subscribers. The company will soon launch a new web and trading site for Wurm Online with a greater focus on sales, new players and collaborations with affiliates and streamers. We are laying the foundation for increasing the number of players and further developing the game.

----- This has been translated into english - The original link is Here

See the issue is that they have been talking about how they would create some form of affiliate system and work with streamers since gcg brought wurm, they have been spouting that line since the start and so far just failed promises as it has been.

One thing that did catch my eye when i first read it when it was first posted up and i talked about it with my friends was this part "the company can increase revenue from the game regardless of the number of players or premium subscribers."

They really do still believe that they can make wurm into a cash cow REGARDLESS of the quantity of people aka turn wurm into a game that milks the most out of its dwindling playerbase in hopes they can make enough money to make it profitable for them.

Where else have we seen this trend? Oh in like 90% of abandonware mmo's that were brought up by a company claiming they will do good with the IP and turned around and destroyed the game with countless unwanted changes and more cash items on and on and on until the playerbase dwindled under 100 and the money dried up

This is something i mentioned in another post not to long ago as well and people basically acted like i was crazy for believing that this would happen(see bunny ear topic) but what i said was directly because of the post they had put up its the same talk those other companies had before they turned well known yet niche mmo's with a solid playerbase and enough money to survive and slowly develop into giant cash cow incomes for 1-2 years before the playerbase had enough and left in too big of a quantity leading to the game getting a bad rep and new players drying up so their revenue going down so them shutting down.

Only difference here is if you dig into wurm's history on social media sites you already see wurm having a bad rep

• Like 6

I apologize for the lack of response from us on this topic, and how it was brought up as well.

We were intending this to simply be an FYI that this is coming, with the more details to come including what would be happening with the deed discount.

Right now we are gathering information so we can provide those details to you all, so we ask for patience while we do that.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Keenan said:

I apologize for the lack of response from us on this topic, and how it was brought up as well.

We were intending this to simply be an FYI that this is coming, with the more details to come including what would be happening with the deed discount.

Right now we are gathering information so we can provide those details to you all, so we ask for patience while we do that.

Thank you for your answer

3 hours ago, Damascus said:

I'm waiting that one too ... i really hope it won't happen or this change would really makes me leaving the game and i think many would follow.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Syhl said:

I'm waiting that one too ... i really hope it won't happen or this change would really makes me leaving the game and i think many would follow.

Given the company's statement that i quoted before(ill post it here again below) if anything they might go the other way you can tell that they are interested in increasing silver spending vs prem subs or player count which is an insane idea given you need player count to make it worth while as wurm's whale's have left a long time ago and the few who are there are not the multi thousand dollar spenders that we once had

The quote i was referencing 
the company can increase revenue from the game regardless of the number of players or premium subscribers

• Like 4

7 hours ago, elentari said:

I don't know about other people but I rarely check my emails. I probably let emails build up and sort through them to delete as most are spam anyway. I've never liked the idea of sending message to email saying your deed is about to expire. I'm not sure if there is a notification in game also a week or so before it expires because I've never gone below 30 days.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2023 at 4:07 PM, Darklords said:

I will see about clarifying the details of this better,  appreciate the feedback and I just want to note we will have months to fine tune this to feedback we have no plans to rush anything like this through fast.

5 hours ago, Keenan said:

So... what happened in the last 4-5 days? Why did it take almost 5 days (work days, at that) to follow up?

• Like 11

1 hour ago, DannyUK said:

I don't know about other people but I rarely check my emails. I probably let emails build up and sort through them to delete as most are spam anyway. I've never liked the idea of sending message to email saying your deed is about to expire. I'm not sure if there is a notification in game also a week or so before it expires because I've never gone below 30 days.

There is a notification but tbh ive missed it a few times  i do worry for a few of my friends deeds as theyre quite large, losing the 20% could clean out thier heavily topped up upkeep quite quickly

• Like 1

It doesn't effect me anywhere near as much as some, but If the 20% discount does go I'd probably end up just shrinking my deed with the intent on paying about the same or even less than I currently do. Reality is everything is going up in price and I'm trying to make savings for essentials, not quite as easy to regularly commit more money to something that is a luxury.

That being said I wouldn't be against other forms of monetization such as selling skins etc in the store.

Edited by HawkHawk
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Sindusk said:

So... what happened in the last 4-5 days? Why did it take almost 5 days (work days, at that) to follow up?

Because we said what we came to say, and all I did was reiterate what was already said.

I'm locking this thread since it is no longer of any benefit to leave open at this point.

Once again, for those in the back, we'll have more information later this month.

• Like 3

So wanted to give everyone a bit of a quick update here.

We have decided in the end to keep traders and their discounts going forward, we will have a post this week with the new details but wanted to give everyone a heads up as I know people where very anxiously waiting for our answer about this.

• Like 41
  • Cat 1