Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: Canoe Believe It?!

At this moment I am unsure if the name of the last "Valrei International" which was named "Time for Clarity" was being meant ironic or sarcastic from the Team with how much they muddle the waters now.

• Like 2

To behonest im unsure why the plan was to remove traders from sale then work out the fine details.. this should of been thought through, planned out and then announced.

To announce half of something with no solid details is simply madness. The new shop looks great.. but unless you give reasoning behind your actions at time of announcement of course itll cause chaos.

What we all want to know is:

Are you removing traders due to technical issues with the new shop.

Or is this simply a plan to remove the 20% discount.. and the reasoning why. (Never know, people might understand)

This type of lack of information detracts heavily from all the good work you guys do. 

The longer things go un answered the more peoples concern grows and the problem spreads. 

This needs to be improved apon if the game we all love is to survive.

I dont understand why its so difficult for someone to just give some reasoning behind the move, rather than ignore us? 

I want to be supportive but you guys are making it extremely difficult by not communicating.. which i thought had been addressed.

Edited by Crack
  • Like 5

Lisbeth_humble_abode.png

Lisbeth_sad.png

Lisbeth sad.

Not sure how much I care for the discount, initially it was my reason to get the Trader, but then over time, she was always the one wishing me a good night on the way to the bed.

Take the discount, but leave your grubby mitts of my only friend. :P

Fun aside, someone suggested NPCs to make deeds more lively, elentari had a whole treasure trove of ideas that I would gladly shell out money for, I can only get behind that.

Also while I appreciate a early heads up, if you guys make such critical changes public, try to have more information ready, you guys know how your community works.

It just reinforces the idea that this decision came from above, the devs were surprised themselfes and thought it may be better to let people know asap.

Everything becomes more expensive, inflation etc. - I get it, I guess this cut was the smallest possible one that could be done here, hoping it would not anger too many people.

I will sit back and look forward to how this one plays out.

Edited by Milkdrop
  • Like 5

Reading through the thread, it still amazes me how some just wave this away as not a problem.

All we need is some information on deed discounts going forward, can't one of the devs just ease all our fears and put this to bed once and for all?

What about a token of some kind to buy for a discount on deeds? Without knowing what the devs intentions are hard to see where this is going. Is their intention to get rid of the discount altogether? If so that is pretty bad for most people or are they working on something to replace that? Clarity is all that is needed.

Don't forget guys, probably more stuff on the way to hit the fan, as usual.

Wurm is one of the best examples in the purest form on why when the hotel doesn't go well, you simply don't just change the sheets only and hope for the best.

4 hours ago, DannyUK said:

Reading through the thread, it still amazes me how some just wave this away as not a problem.

All we need is some information on deed discounts going forward, can't one of the devs just ease all our fears and put this to bed once and for all?

The fact noone has responded.. or thinks its important to respond just leads me to assume the worst to be honest. 

At the very least they cpuld make a post about delaying it pending further

consultation.. but so far nothing. However they have posted about canoes. Defenitly feels like we are being ignored.. 

I always prefered to try to be supportive of the dev team as we all love wurm.. its why were all here, even them.

But honestly the dev team has a track record of silence in situations like this.. it doesnt take long to agree an official responce of some kind.. i find all of this really concerning... its certainly time to reign in my wurm expenditures. Just look at the level of response this topic has yet no official responce.. this is simply alienating the community.  

You will not keep new players let alone old ones of this issue of communication is not rectified going forward.

Ive said my piece, im out now. Hopefully we get a responce soon but this all just makes me personally feel like an idiot for even spending money on the game.

Edited by Crack
  • Like 6

156 responses(counting this one) and its a big mystery still typical wurm team sitting on things keeping players in the dark letting them grow more frustrated and worried, keep it up it worked so well in the past those countless times you guys remained silent or were intentionally vague about things that clearly the players wanted clarity on.

One would think by now they would have learned this lesson of not letting the paying customer wait too long but it really does go to show the team needs a lot of work in structuring out decision making and who actually gets to properly decide on it so that the staff can come back within a business day and reply to a community wide question that is making a lot of people frustrated.

Maybe some day they will get it right maybe some day.

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Crack said:

The fact noone has responded.. or thinks its important to respond just leads me to assume the worst to be honest.

We did get a reply, but it's no confirmation of anything

On 5/28/2023 at 8:53 PM, Darklords said:

We are working out the final details still, just to clear up any confusion we will not be removing them in June they will just no longer be sold. We are going to a similar removal to fountain backpacks where we will be giving a very large amount of notice and an exact date and plans for this in June.

1 hour ago, Madnath said:

We did get a reply, but it's no confirmation of anything

Exactly, which is why they should come out now and say one way or another whether they are keeping the discount in some way or getting rid of it altogether. People now will have plans on their big deeds thinking do I bother to build on it if I have to resize in the future?

I'm ok with them working out the final details it's the questions of whether the discount is staying or not which is what most people want answering. 

• Like 1

I love this game, the changes are cool. Some work out, some don't and that's normal. I'm willing to try anything. As for the Wurm Traders - I don't mind them being removed with a refund - or you could keep the refund and continue to give us the 20 percent discount. This would make the most sense and save Wurm having to refund. :D Have a good day.

Edited by Breezzy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DannyUK said:

Exactly, which is why they should come out now and say one way or another whether they are keeping the discount in some way or getting rid of it altogether. People now will have plans on their big deeds thinking do I bother to build on it if I have to resize in the future?

I'm ok with them working out the final details it's the questions of whether the discount is staying or not which is what most people want answering. 

I imagine the discounts future is part of that final details, though nobody can really say for certain

I never post on topics like this because I don't think the devs read or even care what we have to say. It is so painfully clear you are out of touch with your player base. The people 'funding' this game do not want a canoe nor do they want traders to go away. This game has a steep learning curve and is not easy, the people who play Wurm are not casual. We love this game despite its faults...for the masses though, it might as well be called Turd. I give a lot of leeway to Wurm from having a small dev team, maybe even only one or two people--who I would imagine do what they do more as a labor of love. You could argue that is what makes it special, but this update is not it. It is just a waste of time and honestly spits in the face of people who have dedicated XX years of their time leaving their mark on whatever server they play on.

I am truly left scratching my head. I cannot understand these decisions...there are so many great ideas (316k posts in suggestions and ideas) out there on what could improve this game and make Wurm 'more accessible'. When you search that forum for 'Canoe'--you come up with ideas like an archeology only boat or portable backpack version of a ship weighing 5-8kg (why not just a large barrel and require an oar but whatever) with a low draft level, under 5 dirts. Not to mention we already have rafts--maybe just convert those to the decay status and ease of creation like a canoe. All better ideas than this--sorry but true. Maybe--and this is just a tiny suggestion--you should go read this forum to decide what updates should go in the game:

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/forum/15-suggestions-ideas/

Edited by Quiksilver
  • Like 14

I think the canoe is a cute idea.. certainly useful but I've never been to sure whether new players need easier boats.

We need features that encourage them to keep playing early on and I'm not sure encouraging them to disperse to the distance seas and possible death far from the spawn is the best answer.

This feature just seems like it would of been extremely useful in the land rush's of ole. I'm not going to knock it, I like to think it was someone's good intention.

However not being clear about trader discount is bad its just winding everyone up as time goes on, bad move to remove something that affects peoples money without first being clear where they stand. Regardless don't hate on the canoe too much. Though maybe not the best idea for pvp without tweaks.

Why not something like the one way teleporters we already have at some Spawns.. but to each spawn on that cluster, character only.. I cant see that breaking much and would allow new players and old to move around abit more

Edited by Crack
  • Like 1

I want to just say that not enough appreciation has been given for the stellar pun in the thread title.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I want to just say that not enough appreciation has been given for the stellar pun in the thread title.

* Chuckles with a bittersweet smile * .

trader discount ??  ... "Allah dammit!!"
No one told me .. I could have saved sooo much 😄
..anyways I mostly play on servers with free deeding and no upkeep but a sh!tload of pmk wagons 😛  .. so really don't care
Hail Sklo:D Smarken is now Ivan-priest on top of normal skills 😛

On keeping new people playing ...
I had a friend trying the game and he stopped very fast as he could not carry stuff with out being slowed down to 0.001 km/h ..
The small cart.. well it's almost as slow ...
Put a (1) mule or bull/cow in front of the small cart and let players be able to lead it (the animal hitched to cart) just a little slower than their run/walk-speed ..
The cart has it limits in size and no load capabillity so that would limit the use later in game but help new players get somewhere ..

a lot of players don't get far from starter town .. sailing or no sailing ..

Edited by Smarken
  • Like 5

Can't you just keep the traders in the game literally exactly the way they are with no changes while still adding the shop?

Keep them for the sake of RP as well as for deed cost reduction?

That has got to be the literally easiest solution to implement for the dev team in terms of work needed and would piss off the least amount of people. How is this not a win win situation?

Even go ahead and keep the option to buy stuff from the trader using the old school ui for anyone who wants to use that.

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 9

Thank God the UI for the microtransaction store is being updated.  I was worried new users were misunderstanding the devs priorities before quitting during the tutorial.

• Like 11

I just have to add it is starting to look more and more like Solomon's General Store I guess that's partly why i have a love hate relationship with the design now that i look more at it it has to be that background color.

And the fact that the gold coin's style is almost exactly the same as the rc coin's in the GS, it is a good store but the shading on the gold coin resembles the tiny gold icons a bit too much from the GC then again wouldn't be the first time wurm has stolen something from rs 

• Like 2

@Darklords

So, simple suggestion to please every soul crying in regards to trader (aka deed upkeep bonus) removal. Since every trader will be reimbursed by 40 or 50s, add an option in the new silver shop to buy 20% deed upkeep reduction for 40 or 50s. This way traders are removed and reimbursed, the ones who want to keep the bonus can spend reimbursed money buying the upkeep bonus. Rest are the same - deed is disbanded, bonus is lost (so are the traders if the deed goes poof). Result! Happy days 😎

Edited by Skatyna
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, wipeout said:

I just have to add it is starting to look more and more like Solomon's General Store I guess that's partly why i have a love hate relationship with the design now that i look more at it it has to be that background color.

And the fact that the gold coin's style is almost exactly the same as the rc coin's in the GS, it is a good store but the shading on the gold coin resembles the tiny gold icons a bit too much from the GC then again wouldn't be the first time wurm has stolen something from rs 

I’m an Ironman btw 

• Like 3

Change is often hard, and always inevitable!  One thing that hasn't changed is Staff's inability to effectively communicate.  Most often over the years, rift between player base and staff has been in root poor delivery poor communication.  When significant changes are  in the pipeline, why oh why is this not flushed out prior internally so that players know the what when where and hopefully why.  Now some changes won't be popular no matter, and this is one of them.  That said so much heartache could have been tempered by explaining it more comprehensively vs the nod-n-wink cloak n dagger smoke n mirrors way of non transparency.  It has always been the biggest weakness and downfall in this game, communication.

Retro had some good factual stance that is rational in a quantitative way if one doesn't get mired in the feels.  I liked best Elentari's post for it says we don't know the motive yet if it's one of our postured beliefs, instead of a strategy based in taking away things to capitalize, why not add features.  I've long been a fan of micro transactions as a way to support the game where it seemed financially threadbare.  There are many cosmetic and other features people would be willing to pay for that adds to their game experience without feeling ripped off or exploited for coin.  People love cosmetic micro transactions that don't hinder or affect mechanics or advantage in the game.  why not increase revenue in this positive style, than a strip down of assets style one does in hostile take over of companies, sell off assets to increase short term profits.

I don't own traders and have long supported this game monetarily in largess because I like and believe in the game.  I've done this willingly, yet also accordingly I cut back my support if my interest wanes commensurately.  We all have that choice.

Much love to vets and new comers alike.  So few older players even around, I feel a stranger in wurm when i do log in randomly and rarely.  For the love of Wurm though, please get it together staff management!  Learn to communicate effectively and transparently.  Most of us have been steadfastly loyal, though not stupidly blind and would enjoy being respectfully treated as such.

• Like 9

On 5/30/2023 at 5:45 AM, Tor said:

Don't forget guys, probably more stuff on the way to hit the fan, as usual.

Wurm is one of the best examples in the purest form on why when the hotel doesn't go well, you simply don't just change the sheets only and hope for the best.

this one had me smirk and frown.  I suspect as such as well, more to come, can sorta see the volly setup.  and yes, your hotel example of simply changing sheets as an overhaul solution was a go to way wurm did many years back.  In fairness I have to say over the last 3-4 years though, that hasn't been the case.  The devs have been the stars of the show being work horses and thor hammers offering alot of content and fixing many bugs, as well as smoothing the learning curve some for new players by downsizing superfluous repetitive QOL type things.  The Devs have changed in posture and product output in a way that transcends previous dev team.  So much log jammed before.  Non Dev staff on the other hand has languished behind, holding still to old patterns and follies.  I had hoped for more there, yet I fear it's endemic to the structure and process of how they form and thusly operate.  

Lets not forget also the elephant in the room, they all have new master to follow and we cannot know what it's like to have a proxy boss not in touch with game theory or mechanics.  That above all is very challenging to work with, often without choice and sent to walk the plank on blind order.

• Like 5

I remember there was this person who called knarrs canoes lol.

Sad to see the traders go. It was a nice quirk. Maybe keep both in parallel so that towns won't be so empty? Or give us other npcs : >

Btw..

On 5/28/2023 at 10:30 PM, DemonaNightshade said:

Alchemy_cupboard.png

Love the idea with the portcullis and the tapestry.

I just cant understand why theres still been no response of any kind as of yet attempting to reassure any of the player base or damage controll this situation.. its just being left to fester and spread.. and upsetting the player base futher.

Any other business would be working overtime on damage control to maintain a positive image with its customer base.

Yet all were getting is silence. If this proceededs without any further statement from the dev team theyre basically taking a hatchet to thier own legs. 

Regardless if they have no choice, clarity is what we all want and are not recieving either way.  If its not been thought through it should not have been announced. 

The lack of communication and clarity is simply self sabotaging and there is simply no excuse. Few more PR fumbles like this and wurms likely done for.

Which is something none of us want.

Edited by Crack
  • Like 3