Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: Canoe Believe It?!

I too like many value the trader deed discount,  could it be possible you could just buy a deed token discount buff/package from the shop same as increasing bank size slots maybe?

Also will the refund be to the major of the deed or the holder of the trader contract?

There's a 15 minute timer for puppeteering. Can we get that added to the timers?

No love for this forgotten skill ;(
vqNfY1i.png

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Fame said:

will the refund be to the major of the deed or the holder of the trader contract?

22 hours ago, DemonaNightshade said:

Those who have existing Traders for their deeds will have the price of the Trader refunded to the mayor of the deed

It was stated in the first post it will be the mayor of the deed but they are not always the holder of the contract which makes it interesting. I guess I best not fall out with my Mayor while this is going on.

Edited by HawkHawk
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, HawkHawk said:

It was stated in the first post it will be the mayor of the deed but they are not always the holder of the contract which makes it interesting. I guess I best not fall out with my Mayor while this is going on.

You may have traders confused with merchants. There is no trader contract to be held. The contract is destroyed when the trader is placed, and the trader remains with the deed regardless of if the deed changes ownership. Thus the trader is linked to the deed, and by default to the current mayor of that deed. 

I'm not positive, but I think that only mayors can even place a trader, but that I cannot confirm, wiki does not mention it and I have never tried to place a trader with an alt or on some other deed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gnomegates said:
28 minutes ago, HawkHawk said:

You may have traders confused with merchants. There is no trader contract to be held. The contract is destroyed when the trader is placed, and the trader remains with the deed regardless of if the deed changes ownership. Thus the trader is linked to the deed, and by default to the current mayor of that deed. 

I'm not positive, but I think that only mayors can even place a trader, but that I cannot confirm, wiki does not mention it and I have never tried to place a trader with an alt or on some other deed.

I am not the mayor of my deed but I am the one who purchased and placed the Trader contract.

i think most ppl went over that giant step forward that will be the storage cabinet tho... dammit, they are exactly what needed for kitchens and other working labs, that is a very nice addition too.

Btw, i think that maybe adding new npc's camps/guilds could be cool in this game...there are a few things that may be automatized in game, like digging low ql stuff like clay/tar/peat/sand (20 max?), low ql wood up to 20ql, rock shards/basic ores still 20ql max,  and maybe some more stuff. Adding a payed npc that can produce a set amount of that stuff per week could be a great addition, tho some more evaluation about the usefulness could be nice.

Other things that may be very very nice is adding particle effects and other aesthetic changes to items that works like skins but will make armors/shields/weapons more cool if enchanted with the corresponding spell, we also miss skins for basically all tools (anvil for example), and the forever-asked waxing kits for keeping item from decay but useless.

Anyway, the best way to make money for a game like this, is to increase the playerbase via best PR practices.

32 minutes ago, Rauros said:

Adding a payed npc that can produce a set amount of that stuff per week

This is an MMO that prides itself in the social and market connections among players.

In that vein, there are players that pay the upkeep of their deed by selling dirt etc. to other players. They would be out of a job.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Xallo said:

Okay, but this was never framed as a temporary discount, unless I am failing to read something between these lines:

You're absolutely right, if this were to change there'd need to be notice about it, plus a timeframe in which it would happen and be phased out. Kind of like announcing the change and saying "we'll share more news about phasing them out as we work on it" 

This isn't a rug pull, it's about making players aware of an upcoming change, and then giving a timeframe and such. 

I'm not saying "yay their removal!" I'm saying "this is about as clear as you can be about upcoming changes" 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Archaed said:

I'm not saying "yay their removal!" I'm saying "this is about as clear as you can be about upcoming changes" 

A clearer statement would have been to been up front and honest about it, with a timeline of "We are removing traders, including the deed upkeep discount, in X amount of time."

This change was thrown in at the bottom of a rather lengthy update post with some pretty neat stuff, and yet there was no mention of the upkeep change that is being made.

That is why I can only hope this is an oversight, and not an intentional doing because there is no clear picture of what's to come. What we get instead is a bunch of upset and angry players who are rightfully anxious about the future of their deeds because there is no further explanation.

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 13

29 minutes ago, Xallo said:

That is why I can only hope this is an oversight, and not an intentional doing because there is no clear picture of what's to come. What we get instead is a bunch of upset and angry players who are rightfully anxious about the future of their deeds because there is no further explanation.

There's like, ten lol. 

29 minutes ago, Xallo said:

This change was thrown in at the bottom of a rather lengthy update post with some pretty neat stuff, and yet there was no mention of the upkeep change that is being made.

Throwing the main part of the change, the concrete part is fine, a little bit acknowledging it means the discount may be affected and that will be communicated later would be best, but we're not talking a horrible announcement here, just one that could have been better 

2 minutes ago, Archaed said:

There's like, ten lol. 

Thats all of Wurm

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Archaed said:

There's like, ten lol.

you're quite intent on downplaying this huh

• Like 8

WOW removing traders what a load of bull and the updates we get is just sad, i know what whoever is doing the development of this game needs to look in the Suggestions & Ideas from the players. It takes 10 years for something to come out that even my be close to what people (Players) the ones who pay for this game to even think about making. like  Holy Sites what a joke how much time was wasted on this ideal. dyeing carpet took what 12 . 13 years ? I can see why a lot of veterans give up and quit this game for.

13 minutes ago, Synjor said:

you're quite intent on downplaying this huh

Mmm, it's not so much that, but more about pointing out that this does affect a small minority of the game. Not downplaying that people are upset, just trying to temper the outrage with some reason. 

This isn't the game announcing they're taking your toys away, it's announcing changes coming and I'm sure more info will be available later. There's a cool thread in suggestions about people sharing their ideas for retaining some discount while not having the obvious flaws of the trader system, if you've got ideas worth throwing those in there! 

• Like 3

Just now, Archaed said:

Mmm, it's not so much that, but more about pointing out that this does affect a small minority of the game. Not downplaying that people are upset, just trying to temper the outrage with some reason. 

This isn't the game announcing they're taking your toys away, it's announcing changes coming and I'm sure more info will be available later. There's a cool thread in suggestions about people sharing their ideas for retaining some discount while not having the obvious flaws of the trader system, if you've got ideas worth throwing those in there! 

"Small minority of the game" being many veteran players who make up a large majority of income that this game sees. Not downplaying though!

Point is, whether it was forgotten or just not mentioned, the info should have been right here alongside the announced change. Very bad look.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Archaed said:

Mmm, it's not so much that, but more about pointing out that this does affect a small minority of the game.

A small minority of the game, or a small minority of the game's player base? Do you have some insight into the amount of players who own traders for their deeds?

From this topic alone, I can count way more than 10 people who are upset at this change. I also know of a handful of people who don't actively participate on the forums in NFI alone who are upset at this change - and that's coming from someone who hardly plays on NFI.

Personally, I am hardly affected by this change as my deeds are already pretty minimum on upkeep, but it's grossly unfair for anyone who has traders, especially those who don't participate in the forums, and those who may not even be aware of this impending change.

I'm curious to see an official response to this as it's been well over 24 hours, and we're all still waiting in the dark.

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 10

Drooling over all the love Wurm is getting again. Every new addition, update, or tweak is like Christmas morning. Today .. I feel like you put coal in my stocking with the Trader update coming. I have a large Island on Xan and got the Trader just for the discount and of course having people to place down in your empty towns is less depressing lol😘. There has got to be another way - empty the trader to help with glitches and let us keep our trader as a decoration that still gives our discount please! 

15 hours ago, elentari said:

That being said, CGC needs wurm to be more profitable. I can understand that but simply making it more expensive and thus screwing with the in-game economy is not the way to go.

I would be absolutely willing to pay an extra buck each month to play this game. I'd far rather that than have a mechanic messed with that will cause pain, players leaving, smaller deeds, etc. That will not solve the problem. Wurm is worth a dollar more a month to me.

This is what I meant when I asked that the staff trust us. I am betting if it was presented to us that the game is losing money, or not making enough, and is this worth a dollar more to all of us, most of us would respond with a resounding Hell Yes.

Edited by Nirav
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Xallo said:

A small minority of the game, or a small minority of the game's player base? Do you have some insight into the amount of players who own traders for their deeds?

From this topic alone, I can count way more than 10 people who are upset at this change. I also know of a handful of people who don't actively participate on the forums in NFI alone who are upset at this change - and that's coming from someone who hardly plays on NFI.

Personally, I am hardly affected by this change as my deeds are already pretty minimum on upkeep, but it's grossly unfair for anyone who has traders, especially those who don't participate in the forums, and those who may not even be aware of this impending change.

I'm curious to see an official response to this as it's been well over 24 hours, and we're all still waiting in the dark.

you can add about 10 more people to that list that just won't comment on the forums due to the feeling of their time being wasted with their voices going unheard, and thats just from a small group that I know personally

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Archaed said:

Throwing the main part of the change, the concrete part is fine, a little bit acknowledging it means the discount may be affected and that will be communicated later would be best, but we're not talking a horrible announcement here, just one that could have been better 

Again, gonna be very honest and I hope this doesn't rattle you, or anyone else.

Isn't it fairly obvious that when things are vague, it perfectly brings forward fear or panic? This was as vague as could be. Trader discount wasn't even mentioned.

"We're figuring out a new method of offering the deed upkeep discount and will share a plan for feedback when we have a more concrete idea." Great! People know the traders will go, but they're not left hanging on what happens to the discount and its future. It directly communicates the main point that's going to be of concern.

"We're unsure on the future of the trader discount and we'd appreciate input on the matter." Clear enough, you'll still get a fire but you're at least prepared and ready for it.

Both options are better by miles than not touching on it at all in any form.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Madnath said:

Again, gonna be very honest and I hope this doesn't rattle you, or anyone else.

Isn't it fairly obvious that when things are vague, it perfectly brings forward fear or panic? This was as vague as could be. Trader discount wasn't even mentioned.

"We're figuring out a new method of offering the deed upkeep discount and will share a plan for feedback when we have a more concrete idea." Great! People know the traders will go, but they're not left hanging on what happens to the discount and its future. It directly communicates the main point that's going to be of concern.

"We're unsure on the future of the trader discount and we'd appreciate input on the matter." Clear enough, you'll still get a fire but you're at least prepared and ready for it.

Both options are better by miles than not touching on it at all in any form.

100%, and it's a matter of transparency rather than anything else. I fully agree that when it comes to situations like this that open and honest communication is the key factor. 

my deed is like 50 silver a month or something.   that trader discount is huge for me.    WTF wurm?

Retro got Stockholm syndrome defending the team lol love you miss the streams.

The game's direction has been absolutely incredible. Long-standing issues are finally being addressed and fixed. I absolutely adore it. However, for the love of all that is holy, can we please take a moment to think things through before posting a developer blog? It feels like every fantastic recent update is being overshadowed by a thoughtless decision. I can only imagine how exhausting it must be to put in all this hard work, only to have it tarnished by avoidable missteps that upset the community.

• Like 10

Traders:  The 20% discount is irrelevant on smaller deeds, and for bigger deeds very very significant.  As such, I would just suggest that if the traders go away, that deed pricing be changed to reflect a scaled pricing.  Bigger the deed, cheaper the per/tile costs.  Perhaps then the greatest of deeds can end up with a 25% discount even, not just 20%.  It would take a bit of effort to determine the algebra that works best.

Only really messy complication I would see in this is how to address deed size changes, would take a bit of calculations that may cause some lag issues particularly if someone is just playing around with the system a lot.  

Instead of the toon going away, I would love for it to instead be changed to something else.  A barkeep perhaps, or a specialty merchant that you can put things like wagons, boats and bulk goods on.

Re: Canoe on PVP - Have finished and unfinished canoes have 1000x the decay if in enemy territory's, and 20x if on the pvp server.  When it decays have it turn into woodscraps of the same weight in inventory, or on the ground.  This will keep it viable for that accidental new person to escape yet really reduce it for any sort of pvp utility.  Have a popup on the pvp servers indicating that there is super accelerated decay on the item so people should only make it to immediately finish and sail for a new land, not stick around.  

Also, significantly reduce skill from assembly of the canoe (not the parts however, as imping ores is a good thing).  Don't want people spamming them like piles and leaving hundreds of unfinished canoes everywhere.  

I am also digging the new alch cupboard.  Feels like it will be useful now and not just a decorative item.  

• Like 3

So we have a Roadmap that seemingly  doesnt seem to include much of what actually happens around here.  How about a forum category for Roadmap and  upcoming works (since they aseem to get ninja'd onto the list)

For a game that is supposed to be all about community how about giving a headups to said community  see if a change a new item  a whatever is even gonan be poplar or warranted by said commuity.  Obviously you have to do some thigns for corporate reasons from time to time but doesnt mean disucussion of hwo and what to expect can't be done in advance in a said forum.  Engage the ommunity to grow and give input with a game they have been loyal to.

Older players dont want to feel that  the "focus on new players" means hell with old players and what you think, like and want.  Wurm isnt here from new player base so focus on your core and build out.  Too many times its said this game is run like its a hobby from a kitchen table in a garage, time to shift to a more profesional way of things sometimes.  Lets try and stop adding  new  things every week on top of last times additions that clearly arent working.  If you are truly concerned with a focus on new players  and retention  give hell hounds back some sound so they are silently killing people.  Address the messages when crossing servers so no matter what or whaere you are corssing you dont get the  "turn around " meeasge cant see that being helpful for new players jsut adds confusion.

As for traders ....if we could get the reason as to why in detail maybe we could have a more fruitful discussion, this shareholders need that 20% nonsense isnt comical at best.

• Like 1