Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: Canoe Believe It?!

Main%20Image.png

Hello Wurmians, and welcome to another Valrei International! This issue will be introducing a few new things and reveal a few changes coming soon to Wurm Online. To start off, we’ll be showing you a new boat option that will make traveling easier for early-game characters…

Introducing the Crude Canoe!

Players who are just starting out sometimes like to travel to find that perfect spot to settle down and start working on their new home, and that adventure can be a bit dangerous. Between outrunning critters and running across large bodies of water while on foot with no way to cross them, new player travel is quite perilous. A solution we have found that should help with this is to bring a new early-game boat into the world of Wurm.

canoe_passenger.png

This vessel can be crafted with just a few materials and only requires an axe, a carving knife, and wood source. Players can use any kind of axe on a felled tree to create the unfinished canoe, and then finish it by adding an oar, two logs, and six pegs to the canoe. You’ll be able to craft oars with a carving knife in order to make this small boat easier to create.

canoe_crafting.png

Due to the ease of creation and their intention for short-term use, these crude canoes cannot be improved or repaired and will always decay, even on deed. There is no cargo space, but you can bring 1 friend along for the ride. Unlike normal boats these can  be captained when they are below 10 quality.

More Clarification Messages, and a few Timer Additions!

Another set of clarification message changes is coming, as well as some requested timers. These new messages will tackle a few different things such as animal breeding, fueling of fires and furnaces, archery, spell and rune related events, and much more.

Some examples would be:

⦁    Clarifying the reason why an animal cannot be bred. Instead of simply saying the creature isn't in the mood, you’ll be given the reason why. Whether it is hungry, too young, has recently been bred, or is unable to breed (such as mules), players won't be left wondering why their creature isn't in the mood anymore.
⦁    Furnaces and fires will now let you know how hot they are as you fuel them, and with 20 firemaking skill will give an estimate to how much longer they may burn on Examine. “The <item name> is now burning as hot as it can get. You estimate the fire will last between 20 and 30 minutes.”
⦁    Fo's Refresh Spell will be getting a new name to differentiate it from the meditation ability 'Refresh': Second Wind! To further clarify the effects of this spell, its event message will be the following: “You restore <Target name>'s stamina.”

On top of all of these message changes, there will be a few more additions to the Timers window. Priests will be able to see cooldowns for their spells included in their Timers, making planning your casts much easier. These timers only show during an active cooldown period, and will disappear when you no longer need to wait to cast that particular spell again. After many requests since the previous Timer changes, lockpicking has been added as well!

timers.png

Alchemical Usefulness

Alchemists rejoice: One of Wurm Online’s fanciest looking furnishings has just gotten a lot more useful! Previously Alchemy Cupboards only held 10 small pottery flasks for storing liquids, but now they’ll be able to hold a lot more:

• Flasks will become Measuring Flasks instead, with the ability to set their volume like a measuring jug (up to 5 liters) and the option to seal or unseal them freely without needing a peg or sealing kit.
  • Basins can store 60 liters of of liquid and can be sealed with wax sealing kits
  • Storage Cabinets can store any kind of bulk item (food and non-food) and can be locked (including quality locks being set), but they do have a much smaller capacity than a food or bulk storage bin.

Alchemy_cupboard.png

When these changes go live, existing alchemist's cupboards will automatically gain these additions without losing anything currently stored in them, so you won't need to worry about anything you currently are keeping in them.

WurmForumDivider_Fancy_Top.png

A New View on Success…

Another often requested change that we will be making is to show the Success Chance in situations where they weren’t visible before:

• Continuing an unfinished item       
  • Creating a healing cover (requires 30 Natural Substances skill)       
  • Creating transmutation liquid       
  • Continuing a fence

Players will no longer be left wondering how easy it will be to complete an item or craft some transmutation liquid, or why a lower quality piece just won’t seem to attach.

WurmForumDivider_Fancy_Bottom.png

And last, but not least... Say hello to the new Silver Shop!

silver_shop.png

Coming some time during June, we will be introducing a new Shop UI which makes purchasing items normally bought from Traders much more convenient. This does, sadly, signal the end of Traders themselves. Once this update goes live, Traders will no longer be able to be purchased. Around that time, we will announce the timeline for the removal of existing Traders. Those who have existing Traders for their deeds will have the price of the Trader refunded to the mayor of the deed. You may also notice a few new tabs:

• The Skins Tab, and those of you asking for the reruns of old monthly skins will find those here (as well as a few new ones!).
  • The Services tab will bring silver purchase options for Faith and Meditation swaps, the Extra Care Slot, and the Extra Hour of Sleep Bonus.

Another change involving purchase options for items that were previously only bought with Marks, is the addition of Wooden Nameplates and Magical Ink to the Items tab in the new shop.

Thanks for checking out this issue of the Valrei International! We'll be concluding this issue with a few Community Events you may want to check out. Happy Wurming!

community_hosted_events.png

WurmForumDivider_Plain.png

Heathen Trading Co. Summer Solstice Bash

June 20th-23rd on Cadence (NFI Only)

Celebrate the Summer Solstice with an event-filled Impalong on the Northern Isles!

Friendship Bay Summer Impalong

July 20th - 25th on Pristine (SFI Only)

Southern Wurmians can also celebrate the summer with friends during the 6th annual Friendship Bay Summer Impalong!

• Like 27
  • Cat 1

6 minutes ago, Madnath said:

So no more trader deed discount?

Was about to ask the same.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Madnath said:

We are working out the final details still, just to clear up any confusion we will not be removing them in June they will just no longer be sold. We are going to a similar removal to fountain backpacks where we will be giving a very large amount of notice and an exact date and plans for this in June.

Looks that way, a deed upkeep price increase for older deeds.

• Like 1

Really hope we can keep deed upkeep discount in some way. It is nice we will get the silver back for them though but shame if we lose the discount.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Would be nice to have a choice between a refund or grandfathering deed tokens with the 20% that currently have a trader.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Madnath said:

:(

For a player who has had her trader for years and has a large deed that the discount helps me keep the deed I have at a cost that is less expensive for me, this just feels like a cash grab to me and does not feel like a good thing at all. You giving us months in advance notice of when you are going to start making us pay you more money feels even worse to me. Removing game glitch / exploits is one thing, but to force us to pay you more money to keep what we have and have had for years does not sit well with me at all :(

Not 💜ing this thought at all :(

Please rethink this and consider the loyal players who you are going to affect with this decision.

Edited by VelvetSun
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, Darklords said:

We are working out the final details still, just to clear up any confusion we will not be removing them in June they will just no longer be sold. We are going to a similar removal to fountain backpacks where we will be giving a very large amount of notice and an exact date and plans for this in June.

So it's still up in the air.

I'm going to be blunt here, maybe dangerously so.

Please, when it comes to significant changes like this, please start saying a bit more. We've had a fair bit of questions in GL and PMs taken to me from people upset or outraged at the idea of deed discount going away. It takes a sentence or two to ease these kind of things.

"We're still working out some final details on this change, so expect further news on the deed discount system in the future." is all the post needed to make this news go out a bit better.

We don't expect the world, or all the details at once. But trader discount is something widely adopted and known about. The sudden news being "yes they're going away" isn't enough to keep things smooth in any community.

As a side thing to not make this all negative, a lot of really nice stuff I'm excited for in this post!

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 21

wait....so we get a new boat but you take our discount away?  I love a lot of the new ideas you guys come up with but not so happy with this one. Please dont take our discount for having a trader.

• Like 7

Not overly impressed about the trader change, but I do like the new additions for the canoe and increased clarity for the event messages (keep them coming)

• Like 5

I will see about clarifying the details of this better,  appreciate the feedback and I just want to note we will have months to fine tune this to feedback we have no plans to rush anything like this through fast.

• Like 18

Thank you, for the updates, and new items. Canoes, Alchemy, Shop item, Message updates, and timers.

I for one did not have a Trader so I don't have a part in that discussion though I understand it.

29 minutes ago, Madnath said:

It's exactly what i've think instantly.

No more trader discount means more money spent for future upkeep payment BUT for already paid upkeep means less existing upkeep time as with the same amount in deed coffer it pays less time.

In the past i've seen few thread speaking of ppl making a Wurm pause, paid upkeep to be ok untill they come back at a defined period ... if the end of deed discount means their deed will fall by lack of upkeep earlier thant they expected it could lead them being angry i guess.

Edited by Syhl
  • Like 2

What about trader contracts currently held in inventories? Not planted on deeds at the present time.

Should we make sure to plant them before the traders are removed to make sure we get a refund?

Just now, Maxthx said:

What about trader contracts currently held in inventories? Not planted on deeds at the present time.

Should we make sure to plant them before the traders are removed to make sure we get a refund?

It would also refund in those cases will add a note about that thanks.

• Like 2

"The Services tab will bring silver purchase options for Faith and Meditation swaps, the Extra Care Slot, and the Extra Hour of Sleep Bonus."

I hope that is a bad joke

@edit

canoe? 2 years late

Edited by Votip

20 minutes ago, Darklords said:

This is not a fountain pack.

This directly cuts into monthly expenses, you directly buffed every big deed's upkeep by 20% with this post, again, monthly upkeep cost was raised with this post.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Votip said:

"The Services tab will bring silver purchase options for Faith and Meditation swaps, the Extra Care Slot, and the Extra Hour of Sleep Bonus."

they ruining their game a player base to appease investors. sadtimes.

• Like 1

Just now, Votip said:

Nothing really changes, with how marks got designed originally you can get as many as you wanted when ever you wanted which led to many complaints that they just had to keep buying years of premium to get what they wanted.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Canoe! Nice! :D 

that's something positive, no longer possible or makes sense to make rowboats and sell them at 1s, poggers, anyone needing 1 time use boat could make such in 5-15minutes.

Love the changes to the alchemy cupboard!! And the canoe is a great idea, will be a big help for newbies.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 6

will declaration of independence for pmks be made cheaper since they came with a trader contract that's now being removed

• Like 7