Sign in to follow this  
TimHaus

Abandoned houses

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/House#Permissions_.26_Safety

"If the owner of a house has not logged in for 3 months, the house is marked as abandoned, and takes much higher decay damage."

I suggest first that any player who can see an abandoned house in the house management list window could see that specific status.

Second I suggest the abandoned houses instead of decay at walls first takes damage at its locks so than it can became unlocked*
Then unlocked abandoned houses have changes :
- "everybody" can manage to be able to repair or became owner
- increased decay in case no one want it

*when doors builded locks are lower ql than doors itselfs so the locks will crash into dust first if locks changed for higher then...

Edited by TimHaus
  • Like 1

I'm not opposed to being able to see the "abandoned" status if you have manage perms on a building, that's actually not a bad suggestion. I'm opposed to locks taking more damage than the walls, and especially

22 hours ago, TimHaus said:

"everybody" can manage to be able to repair or became owner

No. I have very specific friends that have access to every building I own - and I own a lot of buildings - and I don't want some random person that comes by to be able to take over that building. Manage buildings also allows for bashing of walls, which would lead to those buildings without locks being bashable. lootable and ownership transferred a mere 3 months after I hypothetically suffer some major health issue or whatever. No. I build my houses of stone, at around 80 ql, so that I have ample time to get back into the game should I suffer some life-altering event IRL. I don't want to come back from that to find that half of my buildings have had ownership transferred, locks crumbled and walls bashed or anything like that.

• Like 1

I fully understand your position. Maybe my proposal was not the good mecanism.
I have been sad to see some houses crashing and being looted, especially some of friends that went away a while. One has been so disapointed at his came back that he definitely left game. Of course allowances could have been set better, but well, hasn't been.
I have also found some pretty open houses any one can use as hunter shed but none can repair.
The goal of my proposal was to allow a house that is about to dispear be took back before it totaly disapear, just like a last chance to let it being repaired if someone want.

I was more afraid that peopole could imagine a way that a building they are waiting to crumble down restart. In my proposal, those peopole could get the house and destroy at the time the house would have crumble.
But fact is, you right my prosal makes to much changes, especially skill to make last long is not same. What I would like is to get same decay time to let owner come back and few extra time to other save house or not or distroy.
Please tough about to see with your experience if can be a good way to do it.

Edited by TimHaus

I understand not wanting to see houses crumble before a person gets back online, and wanting to preserve some nice houses that are decaying. There is already a way in-game to get a repair periodically for no cost, and that is to put a Mag altar or two around the place. Every time Ritual of the Sun is cast all buildings, fences and bridges that are in a Mag domain are repaired fully with no loss of QL. I use them in all bridges I make and in off-deed buildings I have, and every 3 months or so when the spell is cast they all get repaired.