Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

Why do some leave South for North?

I'm having real trouble deciding whether to pick up wurm again in the south or north. Both have selling points - north there is slightly more opportunity to catch up and make a mark somehow if you can compete or have some unique selling point, and it's more of a challenge pve. South, better character, but is everyone established?

20 minutes ago, Derp said:

I'm having real trouble deciding whether to pick up wurm again in the south or north. Both have selling points - north there is slightly more opportunity to catch up and make a mark somehow if you can compete or have some unique selling point, and it's more of a challenge pve. South, better character, but is everyone established?

There really isn't any difference anymore between the two playerbases, plenty of time has passed so NFI players are about as established as SFI players. If you want to "catch up" to other players on either cluster, it's easily accomplishable with good time spent grinding the right things.

If you're starting over either way, just ask yourself if you'd like to have an active local or a more private experience. You can get either of those things on either cluster, but NFI is far more condensed and easier to jump into a local community. 

The difference is that SFI players won't buy 90ql imps or 90ql stuff most of the time while NFI players need even 70ql imps and 70ql stuff. SFI is full of 90+ skill made and 90+ skill bought characters. People will only buy rares, supremes and treasure maps most of the time. There are very high skill characters in NFI but not everyone has them. SFI is good for archaeology, hunting, lots of free spots to settle and being a hermit but I can't think of any other upsides.I guess it is the wurm veteran retirement home cluster with a huge hunting field. 

10 hours ago, Derp said:

you can still make decent coins on SFI by imping etc, i know people do so dont listen to those saying theres no market in SFI for that stuff.

Remember NFI is 3 years old now, so not very new anymore, 

Different between the 2 clusters is that theres less land on NFI so each server has a bigger player base even tho the total player base on NFI and SFI is the same

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stinboi said:

Different between the 2 clusters is that theres less land on NFI so each server has a bigger player base even tho the total player base on NFI and SFI is the same

Cadence has the same player numbers as Xanadu (sometimes even more) but only on 1/4 the size so player density is way higher.

Edited by Bekador

2 hours ago, Bekador said:

Cadence has the same player numbers as Xanadu (sometimes even more) but only on 1/4 the size so player density is way higher.

excatly, thats my point.

SFI has grown to large for its current playerbase, and thats why i think most new players choose NFI also, and i would to if i didnt loose all my player progress.

8 hours ago, Simyaci said:

The difference is that SFI players won't buy 90ql imps or 90ql stuff most of the time while NFI players need even 70ql imps and 70ql stuff. SFI is full of 90+ skill made and 90+ skill bought characters. People will only buy rares, supremes and treasure maps most of the time. There are very high skill characters in NFI but not everyone has them. SFI is good for archaeology, hunting, lots of free spots to settle and being a hermit but I can't think of any other upsides.I guess it is the wurm veteran retirement home cluster with a huge hunting field. 

Well this simply isn't true. There are fantastic imp services out there - and they sell (I myself am a heavy buyer, just this week I bought a set of studded leather, a few saddles, a bunch of horse shoes, the list continues, weapon imps are next on the list). 

There's lots of people looking for the basics that a new player can get into, too. Bricks (especially marble). Mortar. Support beams. 

Then there's a market for the more difficult stuff. Good affinity foods/drinks. High quality dye. Coffee. 

Sure there may not be people buying what you're offering 24/7, the players ebb and flow like any game, but to just say that SFI won't buy things most of the time, I feel is incorrect. 

I'm sorry that you can't seem to think of an upside, I personally think there's ups/downs to both and it just comes down to simple personal choices. There's no wrong or right answer. 

• Like 4

Question for Wurm owner is how many premium players will stop being so on North or South ?

You need to remember allot of the players on North have mains on South and if servers were merged would they stop being premium ?

Would they just leave a alt on ether server and just sail back and forth if needed .

The lost of income may be to much for a merge for new owners .

How ever you may get the reverst were more people may decide they would like to have a deed on another server and will keep char premium or buy silver for upkeep .

The game always depends on something new to keep players interested thats why they added new servers  .

It is no different then a new dungeon that opens in a mmo  , players always rush to be first in it .

5 hours ago, Stargrace said:

Well this simply isn't true. There are fantastic imp services out there - and they sell (I myself am a heavy buyer, just this week I bought a set of studded leather, a few saddles, a bunch of horse shoes, the list continues, weapon imps are next on the list). 

There's lots of people looking for the basics that a new player can get into, too. Bricks (especially marble). Mortar. Support beams. 

Then there's a market for the more difficult stuff. Good affinity foods/drinks. High quality dye. Coffee. 

Sure there may not be people buying what you're offering 24/7, the players ebb and flow like any game, but to just say that SFI won't buy things most of the time, I feel is incorrect. 

I'm sorry that you can't seem to think of an upside, I personally think there's ups/downs to both and it just comes down to simple personal choices. There's no wrong or right answer. 

The problem is not that people aren't buying what I am offering 24/7, the problem is that even if I offer it 24/7 there is nobody responding. One or two already well established providers are enough to provide for the 10-20 people max who actually need it in SFI. They are doing a great job and I can only applaud them. There is a lot of supply, little demand and almost each player is a potential supplier. For the affinity foods and coffee, there are already max level providers that love to do nothing else who are more than enough to provide for the entire cluster. 

That's not the case in NFI. I am buying and selling actively in NFI with my new character and I can see the trade is alive and active. On the other hand, my SFI main char with almost all 90+ skills that I leveled myself had to take the backseat as my personal imp alt for my hunting adventures and other activities that I like to do. If anyone wants to participate in trade or PvP, it is obvious that NFI is the present and the future. There is no fresh blood flowing into SFI while even veterans are flowing into NFI so it only makes sense that it won't be getting any better in those areas. It is great for hunting and just imping your own stuff, buying/selling treasure maps or doing archeology having fun. 

I am not saying I am bothered by it or that it needs to change, I am just stating the obvious. 

>.> I've bought tons lately on sfi. A thousand support Beams. One of my villagers just bought some 90ql leather armor. I'm still looking for weapon ims. Lol and I just bought some 70ql pizzas.

Honestly these heated arguments over nfi vs sfi kinda Crack me up. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Simyaci said:

I am not saying I am bothered by it or that it needs to change, I am just stating the obvious. 

Some words and stuff. 

You keep speaking in generalizations that don't pertain to everyone as though it's an absolute, and it's frustrating. Your personal experiences are not everyone else' as posters here keep trying to tell you. SFI are flooding NFI? The numbers are pretty much the same as far as population. I left NFI for SFI. That's the complete opposite of what you said is happening. There's no new blood? OK tell that to the new players who are setting up shop on Independence. I'm not sure why you personally couldn't do sales, but I think that might be more of a 'you' thing and less of a 'it never happens' thing. 

Edited by Stargrace

33 minutes ago, Stargrace said:

Some words and stuff. 

You keep speaking in generalizations that don't pertain to everyone as though it's an absolute, and it's frustrating. Your personal experiences are not everyone else' as posters here keep trying to tell you. SFI are flooding NFI? The numbers are pretty much the same as far as population. I left NFI for SFI. That's the complete opposite of what you said is happening. There's no new blood? OK tell that to the new players who are setting up shop on Independence. I'm not sure why you personally couldn't do sales, but I think that might be more of a 'you' thing and less of a 'it never happens' thing. 

It is not about me not being able to do sales, it is about the cluster not having any space for trade to thrive. I will always find something to sell both in SFI (even if my skills are made obsolete by the current state of the trade) and NFI and both clusters always have the supply to provide when I want to buy something. I am not complaining about any personal issues in SFI. I am just stating the obvious that SFI trade doesn't have a present or a future as things are going. NFI seems to be the designated playground for both veterans and new players. The only problem I have with it is the low spawns. That is my personal complaint. NFI, especially Cadence needs higher spawns. 

Has this thread turned into NFI vs SFI yet?

4 hours ago, Ism said:

No, it's just Opinions VS Opinions.

With a little bit of exaggeration. Well, u can say they exaggerated a lot but i don't mind, it's just a point of view.

It's good to know what people have perceived althought they may be the minorities.

Edited by Coach

I'll put this one down here, since it's probably relevant.

When the new cluster (NFI) opened, there was a huge rush there as it was where all the new players from steam were (and still are "You will want to join HARMONY(PVE) and DEFIANCE (if you want PVP) where all the new players will be.") being funneled by the official posts.  The old (SFI) cluster saw a huge dip, but then stabilised around 200 people active on average per day.  While this was happening, the new cluster crashed, and then crashed some more, and then crashed a bit more till it stabilised at a similar population level.

What this suggests is that all the diehards are still on the old cluster, and the new cluster has most of the newer blood.

That's going to give a different feel - the older cluster might be a little more aware of established manners (i.e. don't deed over a clearly used camping pen because it's frowned upon), but the new cluster has the vibrancy of new ideas and new people.  I've stuck with the old cluster (I'm fond of my home, and don't really want to start over), some good folks I know emmigrated to the new cluster (the old one *feels* emptier).

On 5/24/2023 at 5:24 PM, Ism said:

OvzxbtH.png

On 5/24/2023 at 9:46 PM, Simyaci said:

I am just stating the obvious that SFI trade doesn't have a present or a future as things are going. NFI seems to be the designated playground for both veterans and new players. 

If that is obvious then the logic dictates that is true for both SFI and NFI.

Perhaps SFI will have "just the old diehards" first, but the stated condition is the end result no matter what inter-environment it is in. We aint there yet though. From the perspective of "13 years in same spot in Independence", the frequency of "collision" with newer players has never truly changed. Ofcourse we rarely enjoy 2 days old Froobs rejecting a trainload of super good enchanted tools and resources for free... we still perhaps more often than we can cope, will find ourselves utilizing our 100 digging skills to help fresh player who has bigger ideas than their own skills allow.

What comes to "opinions" about trade. For me its only hearsay that NFI trade/market is "vibrant", but from my perspective... SFI market seem pretty vibrant aswell. Funny thing is that high quality imps take time (effort) even when youre at 100 skills and perfected your whole toolset to maximum insanity... and stuff wear out. So there is allways someone needing an imp, and someone wanting to provide the service as long as there is still "a playerbase" even if its just "old diehards."

I am one of those "trade slayers" myself = within my connections and within my alliance, I tend to imp stuff for free.... and done so up to 99ql... which directly has the effect on trade/market to make it "more quiet." But it would be a mistake to discount our inter-alliance or inter-connection market/trade without silver-transactions from "vibrancy of trading" in the cluster. Its just harder to measure. Over time this kind of inter-connectiviness will simply increase and there is probably more of this in SFI than in NFI, making it appear as NFI is "more vibrant." But only appear.

If someone asked pickaxes at 70ql or imps to 70ql... I wouldnt even know what to price my service at. I'd prolly just offer it for free (for mailcosts.) And I am certainly not advertising such in Trade chat for just the mailcost. Vibrancy or not, just watching Trade chatflood go by is totally different to measuring the success of getting what you want but I understand that noone is advertising lowQL cheap stuff because its like shouting to the wind. If there is market for that in NFI and player wants to participate in such market, then ofcourse NFI is then better choice... but I would argue that not having such market in SFI is evidence that it wont be there long in NFI either.

Edit:
For the sake of the OP.
The "siren's call" to go play in NFI reaches my mind ears very often. As it does about "if that mountaintop is unoccupied" or just seeing some fancy big area unoccupied. Or thought about creating an "outpost deed" in different servers. Ofcourse I can only speak for myself, but this answer was given in this thread a few times; We hate to love to start over, over and over again. Yes I was there for about 4months when NFI released. Its hard to "stretch" the feeling of starting a new for longer than a few months.

Edited by Raybarg
  • Like 2