Sign in to follow this  
Mrbloodworth

[12-29-09] [r210] Test server content update.

* The huge tub has a new model, the old one had errors and this should fix the FPS void it created.

* Shop sign assets have been patched in, this feature is not active yet, only assets have been added.

* Ash, and strawberries have had texture adjustments to correct more FPS Voids, only 30+ more to go!

* Meditation rugs now use load time texture switching (4 unique models removed, YaY! memory usage).

The pack should be available once I am done uploading it.

EDIT: Available.

In order to help those with FPS issues viewing the above objects, I am going to go ahead and update live and unstable.

I'm not anywhere near a huge tub right now, however I've herd that you've turned them into the dreaded "octo" variety of item. The new creature being "octotub." However, I can not confirm this, could we get some pictures of the updates instead of us having to find them?

Thank you. Seems... Odd. I don't like the new texture. I think there should be some diversity instead of, "This is wooden, it has a wooden texture." Right now everything from buckets to barrels to this have that same scratched wood texture.

That is good for our graphic cards Zarma, also I still find it reasonable and coherent with the other furniture.

That is good for our graphic cards Zarma, also I still find it reasonable and coherent with the other furniture.

Doubtfully. Wurm's graphics aren't very intense, the it's the coding that causes most of the lag. I don't get a difference in FPS between max and min settings to give an example. Perhaps it's because most of the graphics are made for freedom? You'll rarely find a piece of furniture on Wild.

Mr. Bloodworth, I don't mean to impose... But uhh... Are the huge tub models buckets with the top removed?

Uh Also can you make the bucket models a bit taller?

They don't seem right.

Mr. Bloodworth, I don't mean to impose... But uhh... Are the huge tub models buckets with the top removed?

who cares, theld huge tub was a large barrel without the lid and stretched to the max.

Doubtfully. Wurm's graphics aren't very intense, the it's the coding that causes most of the lag. I don't get a difference in FPS between max and min settings to give an example. Perhaps it's because most of the graphics are made for freedom? You'll rarely find a piece of furniture on Wild.

You are wrong, and right. If you mean by code, you mean that in any given view there is the potential to render more than one million polygons, then sure. All the barrels and buckets, and now this tub use the same, single texture file (Down from 5), and this IS good for memory use, It is economical reuse. There are many redundant textures in Wurm that I have been culling out.

As far as objects and models having anything to do with server, or faction, I have told everyone before to leave the tinfoil hats at the door. Ill say it again, it has nothing to do with it. Having said that, You may even wish to consider, that a more PvP oriented environment would serve to gain the most in more optimized assets anyway.

I had allays intend to redo this model anyway, up until recently, old code (that Dashiva has cleaned up) was masking the fact that some models had errors (In construction, or non adherence to basic texture requirements when making real time rendering assets). Once some code changes were made, (directly or indirectly) players were getting large FPS drains due to improper assets, this prompted me to correct, and remake the tub. There is no longer a FPS issue with this item. But I have about 30 or so more to go.

I like to think that all around, this model is an improvement, it has a higher fidelity of texture, its economical in memory use, and more consistent with the rest of the world and assets.

Finally, no, it is not the bucket scaled up.

Has Zarma ever made a post that wasn't complaining, second-guessing or derisive?  ???

Has *Most of the wurm community* ever made a post that wasn't complaining, second-guessing or derisive?  ???

Fix'd.

Sorry, but I had to.

If you care so much look through my post count, there's about a thousand, I'm sure you can pick out a few. I on the other hand don't give a rats ass about what you post, nor do I care who you are. If you're going to make a post try not to contradict your self, I don't know why it's any better to complain about some one you don't even know then complain about a game you pay for.  ::)

Anyway, I don't like the new tub model. It does look like a bucket, drop one next to it and take a screen shot. I haven't experienced any FPS improvement, but hopefully it does something for some one else. The structure makes more sense then it used to but I'd like to see it a little bit less bright, like the old texture.

The structure makes more sense then it used to but I'd like to see it a little bit less bright, like the old texture.

Then, because I like you, I will expose one vein of my diabolical plan to you.

Because I have don't the texture in such a way (speaking of my PSD file) and because all of the barrels, and barrel like items now use one texture file. I can now move forward in making one texture for each wood type, buy simply swapping out my most base layer in the PSD file.

Bringing to the (Wurmi) world the horrid prospect of options in look, as well as material. (at lest, for that set of objects, even the unfinished versions).

IE:

BeholdTheObjectOfDoom.jpg

The wood texture as it is now seems a bit... scraggly.

I don't mean to say that it should look entirely polished and clean,

but what we have now seems excessive in respect to the other extreme.

hah finally my insistance that every wooden item in my village is made out of oak is worthwhile, take THAT mobius