Sign in to follow this  
Beastwolf

Option to REMOVE WINTER Graphics

Please, let me have the option to remove the white death. My eyes hurt.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Beastwolf said:

Please, let me have the option to remove the white death. My eyes hurt.

Instead of remove, could we see some suggestions on how we could make it look better? I know there may have been some before, but I do feel that winter is one of the worst looks we have. I'd love it if people could enjoy it rather than seek to disable it.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

I don't know what to suggest, but I once had an alliancemate who spent every Wurm winter working below ground, to avoid horrible migraines brought on by all the bright whiteness.

Option of turning it on and off would be great. It is too BRIGHT

• Like 2

Oh, I'm also not against a disable option. I'm honestly just trying to think about what else we could show that still conveyed the season but wasn't so harsh on the eyes. I'm also curious on what about it makes everyone really dislike it so much, besides just the brightness.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Polojordan said:

you can change display brightness in game

display is perfect inside tho, walk out and its blinding - maybe if there was less snow coverage or something

Just now, Polojordan said:

you can change display brightness in game

Ahhhhhh yesss, noww i can play the game

a93448f72bdc755574df278278566ae2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

3 minutes ago, Keenan said:

Oh, I'm also not against a disable option. I'm honestly just trying to think about what else we could show that still conveyed the season but wasn't so harsh on the eyes. I'm also curious on what about it makes everyone really dislike it so much, besides just the brightness.

I think most just dont like how blinding it is.

I'm one of those weirdos that like wurm winter

• Like 1

Yes, I love that there is seasons - even winter. Just not the eye blinding whiteness of it the second you walk outside

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

Rather than turn down the whole game's brightness level, perhaps we could have the option to tint or colour filter the snow tiles.  Using the shader code it should be possible to change just the material colour of the ground tiles to a more subdued tone and let this be player adjustable - like the UI windows have an adjustable translucent effect on only those parts of the game that fall behind them.

• Like 5
  • Cat 1

I love the seasons in Wurm - but even I, the season loving Wurmian, dislike the brightness. It physically hurts.

Aside from that, winter is fine. It helps me find all the random items I've dropped on the ground.  I know you're looking for suggestions "other than" the brightness - but honestly, that's the biggest issue. 

13 minutes ago, Muse said:

Rather than turn down the whole game's brightness level, perhaps we could have the option to tint or colour filter the snow tiles.  Using the shader code it should be possible to change just the material colour of the ground tiles to a more subdued tone and let this be player adjustable - like the UI windows have an adjustable translucent effect on only those parts of the game that fall behind them.

I'll bring this to the team. It's a really good idea. It's something that I think we can do fairly quickly, but let me discuss it as I'm not the best with the visuals.

• Like 4

The reason snow is so bad for some is that their monitors make white be blinding white and because snow is so true white then when the light hits it their monitors go "hey this should be a pure white pixel" and thus people get flashed constantly leading to headaches and so on

As muse suggested that would be one way another would be looking into how light is hitting and reflecting off the snow as snow in low settings is perfectly fine on the offending monitor that i have but the moment you try to make the game look better with better lighting its a flashlight 

Keenan please I have fragile baby eyes

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

1 hour ago, Keenan said:

I personally think it just blurry white and  just makes the tiles look bland and flavorless.

I understand that's the idea of winter but just meshes all the tiles together makes it hard to tell the difference between anything, the trees look fine though.

Example of bland  ... 'pottery bricks' are pretty bright orange normally and then below shows during winter

dad08bce34dfd97e657f187eaabb68d2.png

I'd prefer the option to turn it off completely cause I love how Wurm looks outside of winter but some people love it.

• Cat 1

Another Example, bridges have no winter it just cuts off. Winter just seems 'unfinished' in many ways. @Keenan

e1a10689f5df47f076b48ff2523d591b.jpg

fff195bbe13890752aca24c01a448239.jpg

Edited by Beastwolf

6 hours ago, Keenan said:

Instead of remove, could we see some suggestions on how we could make it look better? I know there may have been some before, but I do feel that winter is one of the worst looks we have. I'd love it if people could enjoy it rather than seek to disable it.

New game items e.g.  "snowglass" paired with second optional item "snow hat". Both can be created in game. Snowglass takes mask spot but when equipped it turns off all/most white on grass/ground areas. Snow hat turns down / diffuse white on trees and other items, and makes it less bright, less visible, less everything. This hat can be placed in hipslot or one ring or necklace or something.

Snow hats can be spun / created from reeds and strings with fur lining or more fancy option by adding wide brim fur extensions to current wool hats, both hats fit over helms. Sunglass maybe from ten frags like current masks? 

e9411dac2f52484e0a1a997a51db008d.png4e629cfba71f7f2ba548d7d648a9e3cb.png

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 1

I think the problem is the entire landscape becomes samey, you struggle to differentiate paved tiles from each other, or grass tiles too. Having the paved tiles clear or dusted with snow as opposed to flat white would go a long way to break it up.

personally the bugged graphics when you disconnect and it shows the grass growing through the snow always helped me because it did break up the overwhelming white everywhere, so more changes like that I think would be good 

• Like 6
  • Cat 1

I don't have a problem with winter on wurm.  It creates some great moody screenshots. It also helps show things up on my monitor when the sun is shining on it from outside 😆

Maybe that glitched version of the snow might be good.  Where the grass shows through the snow. So white and green.

The option to plow or shovel tiles to remove or reduce snow would also be nice. This way you can have clear walkways but snow covered fields if you wish.

• Like 1

Make it so snow only appears on tiles that you can get snowballs from. Once the snowballs have been taken it turns back into the non winter texture until it regenerates.

Medieval historically accurate sunglasses that actually makes everything look darker when worn. 

I love the winter season in Wurm, however, I totally get it that for some it is literally a real pain.

I would not want to lose 'my' winter but I think the idea from Muse is an excellent compromise that potentially could enable everyone to enjoy Wurm whatever the season. 

Nice to see senior team members taking an active interest in this so early in the thread.