Sign in to follow this  
Valkeryies

Remove Deed decay for everything.

It would be great if all Deed decay for everything was removed.  Including completed item materials (bricks, etc) as well as food/flower items.  This would enable players with deeds to dive much deeper into decorating.  

• Like 6

Maybe not for everything but for some things like pottery goods and satchels it sure is annoying

Edited by Griselda

How about each month of upkeep decrease decay of everything by %1 instead? 

• Like 2

How about using beeswax or a similar item to "preserve" something. It would stop decaying, but loose its use and would be purely decorative.

• Like 10

22 hours ago, Dao said:

"Entities are not to be multiplied without necessity"(Occam's razor)

I assume this means decay on deed is some form of prevention of too many items being on the server?

I think this is the main issue with this idea. 

I just think Wurm should have some sort of possibility available to decorate deeds with as many items as I can without decay becoming an issue.

(I place some items onto a large magical chest to prevent said decay)

It's just lovely, that almost every item in this game has its own 3D model, which is something special in my eyes.

Reinforcing this idea, that every entity can be seen as an object in game - placed, named, rotated, and colored would be great.

Many friends of mine were intrigued by this fact alone, when I tried to get them playing Wurm.

Edited by Xheth

8 hours ago, Xheth said:

Many friends of mine were intrigued by this fact

While you are waiting for the gods of Wurm to end decay in this universe, put pizza and meat, fish and milk, flowers and apples on your table at home (IRL). And leave it for a couple of months. I hope many of your friends will be intrigued by this fact. As well as look and smell.

Decay is one of the features of our universe. Entities are not to be multiplied without necessity.

I can understand the desire to mummify an item without being able to reuse it. But not the desire to accumulate heaps of garbage because of greed. And it will lead to this.

Edited by Dao

20 hours ago, Dao said:

Entities are not to be multiplied without necessity.

I think it's "beyond necessity", which can give it a little more relaxed meaning, if we really want to ;)

Sometimes you just really need to display that fantastic slate brick or the supreme potato. Is it greed? No, I already have the item. Is it desire to show off? Totally!

Well, maybe a little greed, because it's mine and I won't give it to you.

Another step towards garbage collecting, but we've long passed that threshold. The hundreds of everlasting goblin skulls on my lawn speak of it. And makes little sense to have a steel shield decay on table, and a bone in grass - not.

Remove decay completely, no from me.

Waxing feels also "too cheap and free".

But there have been suggestions to have display cases of all sorts, similar to magic chests. I think if one religiously wants to display their supreme potato, then to pay hard cash for such an item will be fair enough.

• Like 1

I think a good first step is most items (food would likely be an exception, I disagree with it, but I can't see Wurm giving us zero decay food) placed on furniture won't decay. 

Stuff in non-bulk containers needs to decay. Otherwise, we get someone having something like Caravel>rafts>backpacks>jars all nested up so they can store about 2.5-mil large nails in that. In a sandbox game players are going to do wild things like that.

I'd also love to see catch up decay completely removed from the game. 

Some sort of "decorative mode" were you cannot eat it anymore or use it as its intended once it goes into decorative mode

• Like 1

It's especially annoying to find that papyrus and pens stored in chests for citizens/alliancemates/public, to be used on village communication boards, decay.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shmeric said:

I think it's "beyond necessity", which can give it a little more relaxed meaning, if we really want to ;)

Everything starts small. Or disguised as something small. And very quickly it turns from "I just want to decorate my deed and show "my precious" to "I have 128 rare stone shards, 45 rare heaps of dirt and 75 rare logs. Remove decay so then I can pile them up in my backyard!"  
I am no exception in this regard, but I think about the consequences, so I speak against it. But 90% of the "visionaries" in this section think about their own selfish interests only.

I told you I'm not against "mummification". "Mummification" means creating a decorative item from a common item through a specific process. But you can't revive a corpse and reuse it. Either way, you won't be able to use your 128 rare stone shards, 45 rare heaps of dirt and 75 rare logs anymore after "mummification".

Entropy is an integral part of the Universe.

5 hours ago, Shmeric said:

And makes little sense to have a steel shield decay on table, and a bone in grass - not.

Never understood this logic when I first noticed it. Also same thing with reed pens as Ayuna mentioned. At least I can skill up repairing when going around my deed 😛 

Also the display case sounds like a great idea - having couple of decay free slots to put the items in. Having it sold by a trader four couple of Silvers would be fine by me.

Edited by Xheth
  • Like 1

This please. Like why do I enchant shelves to stop metal objects in a closed in building on a paid up bit of my land to not somehow decay... AS much. This shouldn't be a thing and you sure shouldn't need a literal magic box to stop it happening whilst paying to avoid it happening.

• Like 1

personaly i like the idea that decay wouldnt happen but i feel then we would have a huge issue with things that dont ever decay laying about everywhere. for sakes alive we already have boats and carts and wagons that dont ever decay away littering our highways and coastlines and even setting them completely out in the wilderness off deed off perimeter they still dont decay. there needs to be some kind of decay to ease the burden on the servers but i do think there should be a way to preserve an item so it doesnt decay while on an active deed but when the deed is no longer active decay sets in again in appropriate fashion depending on the type of item, IE some items would decay faster than others based on what materials it is.

I agree. Decay for everything is a bad idea! Keep it as it is off-deed. My ideas are about decay on player owned deeds :)

• Like 1

Surely paying upkeep is specifically to stave off the decay (in addition to exclusivity).

I can see, though, that a blanket "nothing decays on deed" can have undesirable results unless perms are micromanaged and someone actively disposes of trash.  Using a "decoration" marker of some kind (e.g. wax treatments etc) is a good way to handle this, but again who wants to micromanage this treating every single thing.

Perhaps zero decay inside buildings while for items outside of buildings to be zero decay they should either be planted items or treated in some way.