Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: Time for Clarity

cover05_05_23.png

Hello, and welcome to another issue of the Valrei International! This issue is to let you guys know what we are up to and some of the changes we are making and new things we are working on. As mentioned in our Road Map post, a lot of the focus this year will be on bug fixes and new player retention. We have quite a few changes planned to help make understanding Wurm a bit easier for new and old players alike. You can check out the Road Map post if you missed it here:

WurmForumDivider_Plain.png

WurmForumDivider_Fancy_Top.png

A Touch of Clarity

WurmForumDivider_Fancy_Bottom.png

One of the things we have been overhauling is providing clarification on some of the messages players might see in their Event tab. Some messages, while fun, don’t really hint at what a problem might be and can be frustrating for some players who don’t know where to look to find the information they need on how to fix something. Whether mining, crossing borders without a plotted course, or trying to terraform the lands around you… things haven’t always been clear when an issue arises and we’ve been at work fixing this to make things a bit less frustrating and to let players know what needs to be done (or if something cannot be done). Some examples of this involving common problems will follow, but please keep in mind that these messages may change before going live.

• “You see dark shadows moving beneath the waves”, seen while trying to sail across a border with no course plotted and no server bordering your current server there. This message will now be: “You see dark shadows moving beneath the waves. There is nothing in this direction.”
  • “Some corners can’t be modified”, encountered when flattening/leveling when you aren’t able and covering quite a few situations. This general message will now clarify what the issue is, such as “You cannot continue to flatten here: You would need to chop down the cherry tree first.” or “This land is protected by the gods”.

These are only a few examples of many messages that are being changed, or added when there were none. A more complete list of these changes will be made available as these changes go live. In the next update we will have dozens of these messages going in, with others coming in a bit later in a few different batches.

WurmForumDivider_Fancy_Top.png

Time for a Change

WurmForumDivider_Fancy_Bottom.png

Another change coming along with the previously mentioned message rework is more clarification on timed things such as meditations and faith gain. You may notice a handy expansion of the Timers UI window:

wurm.timer-teaser.png

These new timers will automatically track your cooldowns for many things you use every day. For those who prefer keeping track of things in Event, there will also be changes to messages involving these skills which will now show you how much time you have left until you can gain more skill, and include the amount of times left in the day you can do so. These messages will account for the skillgain cooldown, daily limits, and the daily reset. Some examples are:

• When meditating you’ll see: “You can gain skill from meditating again in <amount of time>, and can gain skill <number> more time(s) today until you need to take a break.”
  • When you reach your maximum number of prayer skill gains in a day, your event tab will say “You have reached your maximum Faith gains from prayer for the day. You can gain Faith from praying again in <amount of time>.”

Introducing the Large Pantry Cupboard!

food_pantry_reveal.png

I think you all know what this is...

Those of you who spend your days working huge farms or cooking up some tasty Wurmian delights will probably be very excited to see that we will be releasing a new storage option much like the Bulk Container Unit but for food storage bins! Along with this addition, we’ve done a bit of work on the Quality Lock screen, so you can be sure you’re always sorting your items into the proper shelves and don’t risk mixing items that you don’t want to mix.

wurm.ql-lock-teaser.png

Update on Previously Mentioned Announcements

We wanted to give everyone an update on where some highly anticipated features are currently sitting in the development cycles. 

• Monthly skin reruns are currently delayed to allow us to deliver it in a much more polished way. This process is coming along nicely and we will have more to share in the next issue of the Valrei International scheduled for June.
  • Goblin camps ended up turning into a much larger project than initially planned. While we still absolutely plan to deliver it when it's ready, we did not want this update keeping us from working on other things and slowing development in other areas. 
  • Adding Player Kingdoms to Defiance also had hit the back burner a bit but we have some developers helping pick those up so we should finally have a sure date on those soon.

Thanks for checking out this issue of the Valrei International! We are hard at work on a whole load of other QoL updates and fixes alongside these teasers, so look for more great changes and additions in the coming months. Make sure to check out some of the fun community events happening soon!

community_hosted_events.png

Lame Horse Fair and Limpalong

May 12th-14th on Cadence (NFI Only)

Kick summer off in style with the hosts of the Lame Horse Fair! 

Heathen Trading Co. Summer Solstice Bash

June 20th-23rd on Cadence (NFI Only)

Celebrate the Summer Solstice with an event-filled Impalong on the Northern Isles!

Friendship Bay Summer Impalong

July 20th - 25th on Pristine (SFI Only)

Southern Wurmians can also celebrate the summer with friends during the 6th annual Friendship Bay Summer Impalong!

• Like 41
  • Cat 1

I AM EXCITED ABOUT NEW STORAGE, YES YES YES. THANK YOU :)

I'd love to have the ability to store things like sausages, butter, and/or minced meat in these too. There's a handful of other 'prepared' ingredients but those are some I'm thinking of off the top of my head. Either way, very excited!

• Like 5

Thanks to everyone involved for their hard work and expertise- love the extra storage options!

I would like to emphasize the following part of the quality lock screenshot, for those interested:

Minimum quality must be between 0 and 54, based on lock quality (rounded up).

Yes, this does mean that it will now be possible to lock a container to only 100QL items.

• Like 6

the ingame timers doing everything we used to need wurm assistant for seems like a fantastic change. :)

• Like 4

the ingame timer looks lovely. And the lock QL thingy looks very much improved to the one we have now. awesome

Edited by Cenotaph

Very cool quality locks, now I can finally stop ruining my steel quality.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

I would like to emphasize the following part of the quality lock screenshot, for those interested:

Yes, this does mean that it will now be possible to lock a container to only 100QL items.

Correct me if i am wrong, but the way that image reads the '54' would be replaced with the rounded quality of the lock that was attached. So if its a 9.3 quality lock it would read 9; if it was a 99.8 quality lock it would read 100.

3 minutes ago, Tomatoes said:

Correct me if i am wrong, but the way that image reads the '54' would be replaced with the rounded quality of the lock that was attached. So if its a 9.3 quality lock it would read 9; if it was a 99.8 quality lock it would read 100.

As it says in the image, it's rounded up, so a 9.3 QL lock would result in it saying "between 0 and 10", not "between 0 and 9". A 99.8 QL lock would indeed allow up to 100.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ostentatio said:

As it says in the image, it's rounded up, so a 9.3 QL lock would result in it saying "between 0 and 10", not "between 0 and 9". A 99.8 QL lock would indeed allow up to 100.

i missed the 'up' - RIP

🤣

Thats hot. The 2x2 FSB looks rather interesting but as long as it works I suppose

Edited by user
  • Like 1

@DemonaNightshade, a nice change to consider for the lock mechanic, creation of exactly ql100 and very very high ql locks is quite big stretch for large amount of bsb/fsbs:

24 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

So, it always rounds up? meaning that a 99.01ql will round up to 100? that's cool.

Hi All great update looking forward to some of these QoL changes. Keep up the good work.

One thing that is still not mentioned is any potential timelines on some of these being delivered. Any potential timelines "ETA" on these new Timer UI enhancements, Large Pantry Cupboards, New QL Lock options ? Since there appears to already be a good amount of screenshots examples, how close are we expecting a release?

Also will this new QL lock option screen be available to other similar storage containers that have quality lock capability?

while i personally hope its soon, i would probably expect a 'as soon as its done' type message. it really does depend on things working smoothly!

What about existing quality locked bsbs and fsbs, if I take out my 99ql items, will I no longer be able to return them to the same bin?

• Like 1

Really like the timers. I wonder if we can get something like for animal husbandry to keep track of breeding. I love wurm assistant but I can def see some sort of item in game that lets us manage family trees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaletheGood said:

So, it always rounds up? meaning that a 99.01ql will round up to 100? that's cool.

Correct

39 minutes ago, DrakoWolf said:

Hi All great update looking forward to some of these QoL changes. Keep up the good work.

One thing that is still not mentioned is any potential timelines on some of these being delivered. Any potential timelines "ETA" on these new Timer UI enhancements, Large Pantry Cupboards, New QL Lock options ? Since there appears to already be a good amount of screenshots examples, how close are we expecting a release?

Also will this new QL lock option screen be available to other similar storage containers that have quality lock capability?

34 minutes ago, Tomatoes said:

while i personally hope its soon, i would probably expect a 'as soon as its done' type message. it really does depend on things working smoothly!

Everything shown here is done and in testing, so depending on how final testing goes it should be rather soon also some other fun smaller stuff coming with it we did not tease.

30 minutes ago, Muse said:

What about existing quality locked bsbs and fsbs, if I take out my 99ql items, will I no longer be able to return them to the same bin?

Existing ones will be converted to the new system automatically, but you can always set lower values then your lock quality now with the menu.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Legios said:

Really like the timers. I wonder if we can get something like for animal husbandry to keep track of breeding. I love wurm assistant but I can def see some sort of item in game that lets us manage family trees.

this would be nice for sure! AH could use a little more love

• Like 1

Is there any talks about possibly having static meditation ticks vs randomly getting them or not at all? Stream lining meditation would be good all around.... for PvE and for PvP. (can include lock picking too since its on a timer like meditation and faith gains)

Do we know what the timeline looks like for the PvP updates?

Edited by Carmichael
  • Like 4