Sign in to follow this  
Griselda

Sideshaft situation help pls

Edit: Version that's hopefully more clear?

Spoiler

8EupawH.png

White is mined out/irrelevant, Orange is iron, gray is rock tile, Black is unkown, questionmarked gray is I think that cursed 1x1 that I can kinda see through the wall.

Im trying to mine out this entire formation or at least the middle part of it. As I said previously below I think there's a hollow 1x1 that prevents me from mining any of the stone tiles.

Hi everyone. Here's my situation

Spoiler

hRBA5ct.png

Black color is unkown. 

So apparently I've got this hollow spot in my mine. Cannot mine any of the marked stone tiles. This is really frustrating because this was supposed to be a cave entry for my boat. I think it's a 1x1 that got encased by cave-ins due to this place being undeeded for a while. But Im not sure. Im also not 100% certain this is a 1x1 but as far as I can see by sticking my face throught the rocks - that's what it is.

Here's a screenshot. It is a 1x1, right?

Spoiler

IdSdcnU.jpeg

I need your advice on my current course of action. 

1) Should I mine out one of the veins? And if so, which one? I don't want to spend weeks chipping away at a vein only to get ANOTHER sideshaft message.

2) Is there a way to collapse an encased tile such as this? Would be nice to be able to cast strongwall through the walls, but this is like bug abuse territory I feel like.

3) Removing veins with lava is out of the question. Above those veins are hundreds of dirts and my house. Besides there's not that much ore and I don't mind chipping/disintigrating it for a while. I just need to know which one for certain. At this point I don't trust my eyes anymore, confused, burned out and drained of all ability to make decisions

Edited by Griselda

It might just be me but I don't get what's going on by those pics.

2 minutes ago, Zundy said:

It might just be me but I don't get what's going on by those pics.

Hmm alright I'll try thinking of something else... 1 pixel was supposed to represent 1 tile

Edited by Griselda

I think in this situation, to access D4, you would need to collapse 2 of the 3 diagonal tiles attached to it (C5, E3, E5), then mine to reveal it, optionally collapse the revealed tile to fix the height, then remine everything again.

For example, if you collapse C5 and E5, you can then mine D3 coming from D2, and you'll have access to D4.

25ed96678e.png

Edit: After looking at it more, I'm not even sure you need to collapse any tile. Can't you mine D3 from D2 directly?

Edited by Moumix

C5, E3, E5 are already rock tiles.

Here's a screenshot of me looking directly at D6.

Spoiler

KRfWBAk.png

I'll try mining D3 from D2 right now. Previously I couldn't because it was reinforced. I expanded my deed to do that. Im sure some other problem will appear due this whole area being close to surface but I'll try it.

Edit: yeah it didn't work... I think I'll try mining out the vein and see what happens. Man what a frustrating situation.

Edited by Griselda

Edit: ok i get it now.

4 hours ago, Griselda said:

I'll try mining D3 from D2 right now

4 hours ago, Griselda said:

yeah it didn't work... I think I'll try mining out the vein and see what happens.

why didnt it work? is d3 another vein?

Edited by Tpikol

because you cant mine a tile that will open touching corners with D4

pick the worst ql or the lowest count vein and remove it

• Like 1

Yeah, you've got to attack it straight on, can't mine out any of the tiles that touch it diagonally. so I'd personally go with removing D6 then D5, if D5 turns out to be a vein then try B4>C4 or F4>E4. You're gonna remove all those tiles anyway, for a boat cave, so might as well do it now.

• Like 1

What is the issue with mining out D2?

If you mine that out, you should be able to mine out D3 and then see what is in the middle.  

If there is an issue with mining that out, then take out the irons.  You will need to do that eventually anyways so might as well get started.  Put a smelter right next to you and smelt as you mine - much easier.