Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

New Maps: Ice Age and ice trolls

IL01.gif

Iceland and Svalbard as Melody-sized maps with starting cities.

Greenland as the "main land" but with no starting cities, players must reach this island by ship.
If island would be too big for one map, it can be divided into two parts, southern and northern, between which you can travel by organizing a kind of land caravan.

Immediately after map starts, Greenland is during ice age, i.e. land is mostly covered not only with snow, but also with ice, a new biome that can be broken with a pickaxe, but it is time-consuming (less than mining).
Under ice you can find different biomes.

Mammoths, polar bears, seals, penguins, arctic foxes and reindeers, yetis and ice trolls spawn on glacier.

Ice trolls

Smarter than other trolls, they use many weapons, have shamans who can cast several spells, and ride undead steeds.

TELEMMGLPICT000099221572_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Over time, the ice age recedes and ice disappears, revealing different biomes.

Ice begins to melt from the southern side of island.
Ice Age NPC spawn areas are shrinking as are their numbers.

When ice covers only half of island, ice trolls start to organize raids into South. Shamans resurrect unburied corpses and return with them to glacier for few days.

In the north of island there is a temple of ice trolls, who sacrifice resurrected characters and various goods that they collect during their expeditions.
When ice covers only 1/3 of island, ice trolls get ability to destroy player-built buildings and steal goods from deeds.

Once enough sacrifices have been made, ice age returns and ice begins to accumulate. Over time, it covers more and more areas until it covers the entire island again.

EDIT

Part II:

New boss/special NPC King of ice trolls that spawns in temple in the north, when glacier only covers 1/4 of island.

When king appears on map, the great journey of trolls begins.
They follow him in search of imprisoned dragons, free them, kill them, and the king resurrects them and joins his party.

The king, after killing first dragon, becomes a dragonrider, his mount gains an AoE spell that can freeze multiple characters at once, but does not deal AoE damage.

The player who kills the king with the last blow receives title "King of the North".

When king dies, the glacier begins to grow again and trolls stop raiding south.

Players who participated in killing the king are marked, only if they are priests.

For period of the new ice age, they receive ability to create ice weapons, e.g. spears, swords... which can enchant the same way as normal weapons.

Ice weapons cannot be repaired once is enchanted.
In addition, in weapons from coldest glacier, priests can store magical energy and limited spell charges that can be used by non-priest characters.

Edited by Darnok
  • Like 4

Where does Scrat come into this suggestion?

ym2jee7.png

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 3

Sounds good. Makes me think of Jackel.

Maybe if it was a special dungeon type of map like Jackel was. 👍 

• Like 1

That sounds like some obscure television series I once watched ^^

Winter Is Coming GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

I am not, just checking to see if anything interesting has been added.

19 minutes ago, Darnok said:

I am not, just checking to see if anything interesting has been added.

Come back later in the year for the interesting parts to be added

As for the idea I am all for themed islands with unique mobs on them but scrap part 2 and the ice trolls and I would not mind the list of new mobs alongside a forever winter map so long as we  also get a mostly desert map and a mostly mountain map

3 hours ago, wipeout said:

Come back later in the year for the interesting parts to be added

Glacier and updates with new features in Wurm have a lot in common...

As for the idea I am all for themed islands with unique mobs on them but scrap part 2 and the ice trolls and I would not mind the list of new mobs alongside a forever winter map so long as we  also get a mostly desert map and a mostly mountain map

The problem with mobs in Wurm, in my opinion, is that they live too long.

Winter should kill a lot of mobs, maybe not in a way that leaves their bodies, but in a way that simulates migrations.
Instead of summer mobs, there should be winter mobs. Maybe more aggressive, since they are easier to spot, it would somehow balance out.

The glacier and ice age would simulate the extinction of species.

Then breeding e.g. horses, sheep, cows, which would not spawn during ice age, would make more sense.
Trade with two islands where there would be no ice age, more use of ships, would also make sense.

Also idea is continuation of my old ideas... some animals should consume a lot more grass, which would solve many of problems associated with them...

The recommended stocking rate for horse pastures in temperate climates is 1-2 acres per horse. Stocking rates change as the seasons and weather conditions change. Pastures that can support 3 horses per acre in the spring, when pasture grasses are actively growing may only support half a horse per acre in the summer. Stocking rates vary according to the number of horses, hours of turnout, and level of management (rotation, mowing, fertilization, and weed control).

https://njaes.rutgers.edu/horse-pasture-management/best-management-practices.php

Edited by Darnok

1 hour ago, Evening said:

--> Skyrim (trolls included!)

I would prefer mountain trolls, different tribe or something, I'm not talking about the size, but texture/camouflage.

Ice troll

4b701e9d896a0e5f722a0527b8b6f026.jpg

Also ice troll female shamans?

il_1080xN.3105310823_ct5d.jpg

Have you watched Game of Thrones too much? What happens when you watch Dune? Ask for a desert server with giant worms?

Please don't show him Avatar. it will be too much for devs. 😆

• Like 1