Sign in to follow this  
Omar

Idea to engage players during the crucial time they quit.

I believe that players with the most potential to enjoy Wurm are quitting around the 1 to 3 month mark, they play solo, they have likely played other MMOs, they are learning how great higher QL gear can be, they want to engage in the Wurm market, an auction house would be great but more dev time.

Make mailboxes on creation have at least 1 power mail enchant (maybe 50) at least 1 so they can receive mail. 
From my own experience and from reading the QoL suggestion thread I think new players often want to spend $ but struggle to do so.
It can inspire players to set goals of selling their own wares, a huge motivator for those that it appeals to. 

This change would also boost sales of game coins, win!

And make mail universal :D

Edited by Omar
  • Like 10

I think a portable and lightweight starter mailbox with an unchangeable low-level enchantment would be a nice addition for newer players, allowing them a means to communicate with the game market while exploring the world.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Kinganon said:

I think a portable and lightweight starter mailbox with an unchangeable low-level enchantment would be a nice addition for newer players, allowing them a means to communicate with the game market while exploring the world.

Meals on wheels comes to mind ;)

But +1 mailboxes should have some base enchant upon creation for more established players getting a cast is easy as hell yet new players who are the ones struggling the most to get gear cant so they either need to hunt for one or just suffer with the message every time they log in.

I for one rather they explore and find an old one so that they know where it is until they get established and then pay for the service of getting it casted(nowadays thats dirt cheap) but thats mostly because exploring for mailboxes was once upon a time you could actually do but now finding a mailbox out in the middle of no where on some servers even around ruins of old deeds is impossible so there is time that this is changed to make it easier to access the market for newer players

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Omar said:

… an auction house would be great but more dev time.

A player made alternative already exist I believe: 

I can see many alternatives, listing two of them as example of how this could work:

Utilizing the current site (player driven development):

Far from everyone scans forums to find things. If sellers share link to this site, then more people would know about it.

Using cef (official development):

Making a market is complex like you say. This could be done a lot easier by utlizing cef, with the bonus that you also get a web portal for it.

• Like 1

Wurmtrade has been 404 for a long time now sadly enough and thats the issue if a community member runs it it becomes popular and then they quit wurm and move on the tool tends to disappear(niarja anyone?) something that big needs to be dev run to be done properly

The auction house idea has popped up many many many times over the years heck I have made quite a few posts calling for it time and time again as I am honestly convinced an AH will do wurm good(a lot who complain don't even do player trading most of the time anyway) I made posts of an AH being an npc at starting deeds with a purchasable version as a silver sink(with or without extra upkeep cost) that relies on mailboxes for small items and bulk requiring highway access between starter town and deed your at, even a variation of where AH's are server separated for anything that can't be mailed to try and please the naysayers.
There have been a few versions but for some reason there is a small group of people who don't really seem to trade who are insanely against an AH with reasons like "its not wow" or "it would make the world smaller as people dont need to travel" and so on yet there are so many games where an AH did wonders for player retention and the economy as right now why hoard silver? almost everything is dirt cheap and getting cheaper(except drake and scale and weird items like that for some reason) like there is no real reason to even have silver beyond upkeep or if you wanna make a new deed or revamp and you don't have time but you have rl money you buy some there and then and off you go but then you spend a week or 2 trying to find the mats for your project -.-

An AH would be amazing but i highly doubt it will come any time soon even though id throw all my money at it if i could(God knows id use the living hell out of it)

• Like 1

Oh, I did not know, I do not trade, at least not now (one can never say never). I think (might be wrong), that there is some guidelines that dead projects should be removed from the toolbelt? Maybe a forum moderator will notice this post here, and get to handle it.

It still leaves the other option tho, so utilize cef to make it easier on the devs. I would be willing to put into voluntary work to make it happen. I support your suggestion, and I think you are right. I am also willing to help fix the problem, if I am allowed to.

6 hours ago, wipeout said:

Players against an auction house or expanded buying and selling don't see the big picture. Wurm is about interacting with other players in an immersive world, a market is other players. They want to force players to waste hours of their leisure time traveling just so they can see a name go through local LOL.  At least mail trading you need to talk to people.

In theory lack of easy trading should force players into working closer with their neighbors, doesn't seem to work out though. It's best not to try pushing sh1t up hill :D

Edited by Omar
  • Like 2