Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

It's weird the latest patch notes thread is locked.

Got locked because the argument about the bunny ears and backpack skin was getting out of hand.

So it was locked and cleaned.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lycanthropic said:

Got locked because the argument about the bunny ears and backpack skin was getting out of hand.

So it was locked and cleaned.

Ah.  Thanks.

Not certain where it was getting out of hand. But imho it's a heavy handed approach that all but destroys any form of conversation and feedback.

If some players post offensive things, then it's up to the forum mods to delete said posts and issue them a warning.

But locking an entire thread? That's too much in my opinion.

• Like 16

It was not getting out of hand. People were discussing their opinions, and staff was clearly getting upset that many of the opinions didn't favor what was in the update. Then it got locked by Darklords, who then jumped into another thread and picked right back up with the back and forth on the same subject. Didn't make much sense to me... but it did erase many thoughts shared by players including myself - which seemed really crappy when no rules were broken. 

And very much agree with Elentari's words above.

From now on you see, it's best we just smile and say good job. Dissenting opinions not tolerated, and posts can be deleted for the new forums rule that says that posts must be in complete agreement with staff opinions.

Isn't one of the big hallmarks of game success these days actually the ability for the players to easily communicate with a staff that takes critique just as willingly as it takes praise and grows from it all? Seems like a big deal, say, like in Steam reviews and other places.

Edited by MordosKull
  • Like 13

Plenty of threads are locked, and plenty of critical threads are left open because the criticism is constructive and useful

My guess is it just wasn't the place. 

There's multiple pages on the suggestion thread about the very topic with the developers engaging with it as well

Honestly, not everything is a conspiracy to silence unhappy players, sometimes it's just about ensuring it's all in the right place. 

Edit: 

Elentari has literally been commenting in the suggestion thread about it, what is this claim of heavy handed moves that quash feedback? It's literally happening with him in it

Edited by Archaed
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Archaed said:

What you mean it wasn't the place?

It's litterally the best place to say what you think about bunny ears since it was where they was announced, like in so many other patch notes thread. Suggestion threads may or may not be related to it.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Archaed said:

It was the right place: The things that were said were just not the things the devs wanted to hear.

I did not say anything offensive or rule-breaking, and thus received no warning, but I don't think I can mention what was said in the thread without being slapped with a "questioning moderation" warning. So we'll leave it at that.

• Like 5

I wish they kept it. There were some very interesting points being made there and some essay-tier posts that I didn't get to read as it got shut down before I got back to it. If it's possible at least bring the posts back, please.

22 minutes ago, Aeris said:

I did not say anything offensive or rule-breaking, and thus received no warning, but I don't think I can mention what was said in the thread without being slapped with a "questioning moderation" warning. So we'll leave it at that.

In their defence is that they didn't close the thread in the suggestions forum. I also don't think they sent warnings to players, I certainly haven't received any.

On the other hand what @Torsaid is also very true:

1 hour ago, Tor said:

It's litterally the best place to say what you think about bunny ears since it was where they was announced, like in so many other patch notes thread. Suggestion threads may or may not be related to it.

It wasn't really good as, regardless the reason behind it, this can now be percieved as Wurm team not having any criticism.

• Like 1

The closed thread was  the right place for a few reasons: A) It was an update thread and those tend to be looked at by a lot of wurmians thus having more visibility for conversation. B )  Historically speaking the suggestions forums are filled with threads and staff rarely comment on them. C) The thread had some engagement going and people were leaving feedback which is what you really want in the end from your playerbase. Feedback won't always be positive and that's ok.

• Like 5

You guys didn’t live through the Wild/Chaos suggestion days. Talk about ideas and feedback getting shot down. 

Here is the greatest constructive criticism of all time. Over a million views in a year and the most exposure to date for this game and in that time frame not a whole lot has changed. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, elentari said:

Not certain where it was getting out of hand. But imho it's a heavy handed approach that all but destroys any form of conversation and feedback.

If some players post offensive things, then it's up to the forum mods to delete said posts and issue them a warning.

But locking an entire thread? That's too much in my opinion.

That.

Given the response to the bucket head, I would have thought the devs would have known that these ones were going to attract the same response - which raises a whole other issue.

It is worth noting that people with the kind of short attention span to need new incongruous cosmetics on a regular basis are not the kind of people with the patience to stick with Wurm's overall depth and pace in the long run.  

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Given the response to the bucket head, I would have thought the devs would have known that these ones were going to attract the same response - which raises a whole other issue.

the response to the bucket head skin was most people liked it, most other people didn't care and 4 people didn't like it. but of course all you remember was the 4 people that didn't like it.

thinking to the reaction to that post i'd say that no, it was NOT the correct place on forum to add compliants to, because it's an announcement section, tho i do not remember there is a specific ruleset for that section, so if staff got to leave a post open, their customers will obviously feel they can answer or write onto it freely about anything in topic, so maybe better to be clear about the forum sections and rules?

Anyway, the best response should have been moving all that crap into a new discussion maybe, so meaningful answers were not thrown into the mud and customers will feel a bit more listened to. 

5 hours ago, Tpikol said:

the response to the bucket head skin was most people liked it, most other people didn't care and 4 people didn't like it. but of course all you remember was the 4 people that didn't like it.

I get the feeling that no one really liked the bucket. i was disapointed to find out i am getting a toilet bucket over the head, as thematic great helm skin was one of the 2-3 skins i am interested in general

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rauros said:

thinking to the reaction to that post i'd say that no, it was NOT the correct place on forum to add compliants to, because it's an announcement section, tho i do not remember there is a specific ruleset for that section, so if staff got to leave a post open, their customers will obviously feel they can answer or write onto it freely about anything in topic, so maybe better to be clear about the forum sections and rules?

Anyway, the best response should have been moving all that crap into a new discussion maybe, so meaningful answers were not thrown into the mud and customers will feel a bit more listened to. 

Except all the feedback has usually (at least in my experience here) been right there in the thread.

10 hours ago, Tpikol said:

Actually, that is inaccurate. Most people didn't comment at all and roughly the same number said something positive as those that said something negative about it.  The difference was indeed in relation to "like it" or not.  The pro comments were generally "I like this" while the con comments were generally "this is a concerning trend".  In fact a couple of the con comments specifically liked the skin itself, but raised the issue of its place in Wurm's aesthetic and the seeming increasing frequency with which jarring items were appearing.  

And you wouldn't know what I remember or don't remember, but go ahead.  It is always telling when someone attacks your personal reasons for an argument rather than addressing the actual argument.

What's amusing is the guy designing these is also the guy in charge of wurms aesthetic - the art director. 

I mean, that SPECIFICALLY makes this part of wurms aesthetic lol 

16 hours ago, Tpikol said:

I personally try not to be loud about the things I don't like because I'm scared that they will push even more of these things "just to show us"

It leaves a very bad taste in my mouth

Most of the stuff isn't even that bad, I'm just afraid of a slippery slope where one day they will put decorative "wings" in the game 🤮

Edited by Soleil
  • Like 2

On 4/11/2023 at 9:04 AM, Archaed said:

Plenty of threads are locked, and plenty of critical threads are left open because the criticism is constructive and useful

There's multiple pages on the suggestion thread about the very topic with the developers engaging with it as well

Honestly, not everything is a conspiracy to silence unhappy players, sometimes it's just about ensuring it's all in the right place. 

Edit: 

Elentari has literally been commenting in the suggestion thread about it, what is this claim of heavy handed moves that quash feedback? It's literally happening with him in it

First thing, in the past, the announcement post was the place to discuss these things, as it is done with nearly every single patch announcement, good bad or indifferent, it is the place that this discussion has always taken place concerning that announcement.

Second thing, in the past, if as you say it was not the place, the posts that are there are merged into the correct place where they should be. In this example, the forum was locked and then every post deleted and not merged into a new post. That can come across many people as an intent to silence people that don't agree with a point of view. 

Regardless if it was the right place or not, the rules were not being broken, people were voicing their concerns in a respectful manner and the thread was locked and posts deleted, that simply is not right and as others have posted here makes them afraid to comment. When you have the dev team interreacting with the player base in such a manner, it makes it scary for a paying customer to feel comfortable to voice their thoughts without fear of some form of lashback, and this event of locking and deleting those posts does not help ingrain trust into the community.

My two cents

Happy Wurming

• Like 6

nvmind

Edited by Cista

5 hours ago, Archaed said:

What's amusing is the guy designing these is also the guy in charge of wurms aesthetic - the art director. 

I mean, that SPECIFICALLY makes this part of wurms aesthetic lol 

Your logic never failed to dsiapoint. We can put a clown in charge of a world war two museum, doesn't mean we all should expect a rollercoasters, mistery boxes and all kind of pranks oncce we get inside

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tor said:

Your logic never failed to dsiapoint. We can put a clown in charge of a world war two museum, doesn't mean we all should expect a rollercoasters, mistery boxes and all kind of pranks oncce we get inside

It's literally been the same guy for ten years, the same guy doing all the examples of how "immersive" this world is. 

Also, Time on Godwin's law lol

Edited by Archaed

24 minutes ago, Archaed said:

It's literally been the same guy for ten years, the same guy doing all the examples of how "immersive" this world is. 

So by your logic, because the same guy has been in charge of art for 10 years, if he decided to add in space ships, lasers, televisions, fighter jets, and what ever modern item any person can think of, by your logic, because he is the one doing it, it is "Immersive" so do you think it is his world to do as he wants and we should all sit back and accept all of his art as "Wurms Aesthetic".

I would hope that any artist who is designing something for a paying player base would want honest feedback, good or bad, as long as it is done in a respectful manner. After all, the player base is the reason the game still is able to employ any people on the team. I would hope that they would want to know how their art is received.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

What does it matter who is it and how long it is in charge of fantasies and immersions if it's not a personal playground. And if consumers not like it, it would fail. Example: Witcher and lotrt new shows

edit: i mean if the consumers, the museum visitors don't like their museum turning into circus, then would stop visiting, regardless of the guy in charge and how long is it in charge

Edited by Tor
  • Like 2