Idlamn

Bunny ears? >_>

I got really excited when I saw the bunny ears. I like fun cosmetics. I enjoy them in most games, and will definitely be wearing them when I can. That said, I have no problem with people being able to change it in settings to not view them-- the idea that "I paid for this skin, so nobody should be allowed to NOT see it" is pretty selfish. Why would you want people who DON'T like those skins to be able to see your skin, unless you're wanting to purposefully annoy people?

• Like 2

If one doesnt like the gfx and feel they can do better... afaik the gfx team still takes volunteers.

See Saroman (was lead gfx dev afaik) or at least a dev like Darklords can point you in the right direction.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 8:22 AM, Atndy said:

Next Era of wurm is to run around a wolf-man hybrid with sparkling effects during full moons.. 

While I appreciate the Rs3 getup wurm is cashing in on. Weird quirky cosmetics for real money; Clue scrolls and a sort of warbands system with the holy sites. 

Can we get an OSRS version of wurm? 

They already have that. It's called Wurm Unlimited lol

On 4/7/2023 at 3:13 PM, Archaed said:

It's a game, please stop thinking it should appeal to your aesthetic only. 

The issue is that the game HAD an aesthetic - one that was pretty compelling at that - and each one of these gimicky, inconsistent but permanent "event" skins takes the game further from that aesthetic.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 5

On 4/7/2023 at 10:41 PM, Darklords said:

The ability to disable skins locally on your client is a fair point and is something I think we can do pretty easily.

The problem with that is there have been some pretty good skins that were entirely in keeping with the games larger aesthetic.  Having people disable that entire aspect of the game because some of it is emersion-breaking and jarring does does not seem like a good solution.

• Like 2

I just had hoped that the bunny ears were ears cut off a bunny sewed onto a leather hat with chips missing from the ears or rings stuck in the ears and such things but instead its bunny ears with some weird hair for the hat part :(

I partly agree with the OP that the bunny ears and such do not fit wurm but not because the idea of the bunny ears but the way they look they look too clean and cheap and thats something that I hope will be taken into consideration for future releases as if we do get a lot of cheap simple looking cosmetics then we do reach the point of abandonware style looks and it will turn people away but if the cosmetics still fit with wurms overal theme then by all means have the bunny ears and the likes.

I for one would love a leather hat with bunny ears instead of what we have now honestly.

• Like 4

to lazy to type complete answer and voice my opinion. I'm kinda torn in this one,  i like op i extremly dislike them, but then again...

And sorry for derrailing but it's somehow related on far fetch. What about certain PMK graphics

9 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

The issue is that the game HAD an aesthetic - one that was pretty compelling at that - and each one of these gimicky, inconsistent but permanent "event" skins takes the game further from that aesthetic.

oh yeah wurm used to be ultra realistic aesthetics, then they ruined it when they stopped us from doing this and its all gone downhill from there.

kU26VwS.jpg

t1sSIIx.jpg

if you think wurm ever had a very realistic Aesthetic, you are fooling yourself. you forgot or are just ignorant of past things you wouldn't have liked.

so like i said just tell the truth, that you personally do not like it. no need to cover it in ###### its fine to say you dont like it and thats why you wish it was removed.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Karrde said:

If one doesnt like the gfx and feel they can do better... afaik the gfx team still takes volunteers.

See Saroman (was lead gfx dev afaik) or at least a dev like Darklords can point you in the right direction.

Sounds interesting.

49 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

if you think wurm ever had a very realistic Aesthetic, you are fooling yourself. you forgot or are just ignorant of past things you wouldn't have liked.

I think that's really besides the point. Thing is the game never had the anime aesthetics to it:

f5151340.jpg

It was also not one of those circus-tier skin variety games. All the skins and items in the game looked aesthetically cohesive (with the exception of kawaii/funny ones):

200px-2h_sword.jpgMonthlyskin9.pngClaymore_skin.jpgMesser_skin.png

And this looks GOOD. The game doesn't need any fancy-schmansy over the top looking weapons and armor and items.

1 hour ago, Tpikol said:

kU26VwS.jpg

t1sSIIx.jpg

But regarding realism the game does have a realistic aesthetic and has had this since forever (just look at the sword skins above lol). The color there was used to tell creature statuses apart. It's a game after all and a lot of those were technical choices that later got improved. They toned down those creature status colors btw as an improvement.

Also bright colored player dyed things are not unrealistic.

Since you posted those ships, look at the ships in game lol. They represent historical ships.

1 hour ago, Tpikol said:

so like i said just tell the truth, that you personally do not like it. no need to cover it in ###### its fine to say you dont like it and thats why you wish it was removed.

Trickster joined the forums in 2019. I also play for a pretty long time (think 10 yrs maybe). Many of the players that don't like this change also play for a long time (the ones I know at least). Don't you think that if the game was always clowny and we just don't like this we would have been saying the same things since then, or probably not even play at all?

And let's say someone that doesn't like the bunny ears is a new player. It would still break the aesthetics they have seen in screenshots and the Steam presentation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Idlamn said:

but my opinion is a fact :(

no it isnt.

9 minutes ago, Idlamn said:

But regarding realism the game does have a realistic aesthetic and has had this since forever (just look at the sword skins above lol). 

the pictures i posted are much older than those skins you posted, those are very new. they dont represent what wurm has looked like "since forever".

14 minutes ago, Idlamn said:

Trickster joined the forums in 2019. I also play for a pretty long time (think 10 yrs maybe). Many of the players that don't like this change also play for a long time (the ones I know at least).

and i took those picture i posted years before you made your forum account, does that make me more correct? NO it doesnt. there are  things in wurm that i dont like but i dont pretend i have a grand reason for not liking them.

18 minutes ago, Idlamn said:

Don't you think that if the game was always clowny and we just don't like this we would have been saying the same things since then, or probably not even play at all?

i cant believe you didnt notice until now but somehow you didnt, the game was like this(i wouldnt call it clowish.) since before you started playing i know because i was there and saw it.

if you want to know about what most players think about this or anything else that would need an ingame poll because most players do not ever use the forums or only use them to buy and sell.

Can we also please get some cat ears and ninja headbands? (serious)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tpikol said:

no it isnt.

VbVpYLx.png

You made that quote up, there's nothing like that in my post and it's unedited btw, so nice try.

What I (and others) say about how Wurm looked like over the years and how it's currently presented on Steam IS a fact, you're just spinning it as if we are just expressing an opinion. Show me candy canes and pumpkin shoulders and what not over here https://store.steampowered.com/app/1179680/Wurm_Online/ I have a video of a champion troll king slaying at my old place on Serenity and I still don't see those things there (think more than half the server was there).

Take a more kawaii cosmetikked game like Aion:

qTlOayi.png

Randomly clicked a video and literally a player transformed in an inquin fighting players transformed in cats...

and i took those picture i posted years before you made your forum account, does that make me more correct? NO it doesnt. there are  things in wurm that i dont like but i dont pretend i have a grand reason for not liking them.

You quoted this out of context.

the pictures i posted are much older than those skins you posted, those are very new. they dont represent what wurm has looked like "since forever".

200px-Sword_Short.png200px-Longsword.png200px-2h_sword.jpg200px-Halberd1.jpg200px-Small_Axe.png200px-Basinet_helm.jpg250px-Towerguard_female.jpg

i cant believe you didnt notice until now but somehow you didnt, the game was like this(i wouldnt call it clowish.) since before you started playing i know because i was there and saw it.

I actually had a few false starts before I started for real (including in the no animation era) and it wasn't all bunny ears and pumpkin shoulders back then either. The game has actually been an oasis to get away from all the flashyness that was at some point very popular in games.

if you want to know about what most players think about this or anything else that would need an ingame poll because most players do not ever use the forums or only use them to buy and sell.

Or just follow the tried and true guideline of aesthetic cohesion. Won't put anyone off at the very least.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Idlamn said:

You made that quote up, there's nothing like that in my post and it's unedited btw, so nice try.

obviously i wrote as a mocking summary if what you said. "nice try" what does that mean? im not trying to fool people im mocking what you said by expressing it in a diferent way.

13 minutes ago, Idlamn said:

just add things i like and dont add things i dont like!! this random game shows that my opinion is a fact somehow.

i dont know how else to tell you that your opinion is not a fact so il stop now.

6 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

I'm just trying to look like a cool smarty guy.

Ok. Can you do it somewhere else?

• Like 4

On 4/7/2023 at 10:41 PM, Darklords said:

The ability to disable skins locally on your client is a fair point and is something I think we can do pretty easily.

No, please, just no.  

You used to release good skins in keeping with the aesthetic and making me turn of everything and be unable to see the good skins just to avoid seeing the jarring ones that have been coming out (in what, to me seems like either dev or owner apathy regarding the consistency) really is like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Tpikol said:

if you think wurm ever had a very realistic Aesthetic, you are fooling yourself

I didn't ever say it was a realistic aesthetic.  I said Wurm HAD one and that it was pretty compelling.  Currently, it less and less has a definable aesthetic because more and more "content" is incongruous to the pre-existing aesthetic.  

• Like 6

It does look a bit silly/funny.

Maybe some other kind of items might of been better. 

Like a wood or stone statue of a rabbit.

Maybe a little rabbit/easter bunny figure for walls and tables.

Or even a brand new puppet in the form of the Easter bunny that interacts/has text lines when interacting with the god puppets.

You could even have a reward of new artwork for tapestry featuring rabbits in the medieval style:

MedievalBunny_03.jpg

Edited by Zexos
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Idlamn said:

Or just follow the tried and true guideline of aesthetic cohesion. Won't put anyone off at the very least.

I disagree-- it would put players like me off. I *like* those kinds of aesthetics. I like bunny ears. I was really excited when I saw them. I enjoy the juxtaposition, and I enjoy fun cosmetics.

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

No, please, just no.  

You used to release good skins in keeping with the aesthetic and making me turn of everything and be unable to see the good skins just to avoid seeing the jarring ones that have been coming out (in what, to me seems like either dev or owner apathy regarding the consistency) really is like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  

Earlier in the thread, a dev said it might be possible to toggle off holiday skins but leave the rest of the skins visible. That seems like a good compromise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zexos said:

It does look a bit silly/funny.

Maybe some other kind of items might of been better. 

Like a wood or stone statue of a rabbit.

Maybe a little rabbit/easter bunny figure for walls and tables.

Or even a brand new puppet in the form of the Easter bunny that interacts/has text lines when interacting with the god puppets.

You could even have a reward of new artwork for tapestry featuring rabbits in the medieval style:

MedievalBunny_03.jpg

I actually came across those at some point. Seems to have been a theme back in the day for some reason.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, vinius said:

Can we also please get some cat ears and ninja headbands? (serious)

I'd also like my WWE belt and my goblin NFT series to be made into tapestries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Idlamn said:

I actually came across those at some point. Seems to have been a theme back in the day for some reason.

There's actually a mini indie game where these types of characters come to life.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Zexos said:

There's actually a mini indie game where these types of characters come to life.

Lol looks like the rift.

Hope this made into that game lol:

207383?crop=16_9&width=660&relax=1&signa

• Like 1