Idlamn

Bunny ears? >_>

It would be great to have the option to hide cosmetics if it will help with lag and crashes in massive community events. 

5 hours ago, Tpikol said:

the most "immersion breaking" item ever(for people foolish enough to believe there is such a thing as immersion) was the singing gnome, singing a song with the words "from rolf and the team, happy Christmas to all" or something like that. and that happened years before you made your forum account. 

I don't know about other people but when I started the game looked like a medieval sandbox mmorpg. It didn't look like Aion, didn't look like WoW. It looked like Wurm and all of us liked it just the way it has been. It has been this way in the screenshots, in videos, it's like this on the steam page. This gnome you mention I never saw in my life and this is the case for a lot of players.

You can't tell people who put time in this game for literally a decade that this only seemed like a medieval themed MMORPG, only now it's coming out of the closet as something else, and you should have seen the signs, namely that gnome, that this will come to be eventually. :) 

5 hours ago, Tpikol said:

its your opinion about what wurm aesthetics should be, an opinion not shared by most.

How do you know it's not shared by most? Why is aesthetic cohesion a practice in almost all games? Because it's something only very few people like?

Regarding the option to hide cosmetics. It's just complicating things in my opinion. The issue most people had with the rabbit ears is not that it's a skin, it's that it's an immersion breaking skin. I still want to see claymores, messers, the corinthian helmets, jewelry cassettes etc.

Simplest solution is to not add immersion breaking cosmetics in the future anymore. It's not as common in other MMORPGs as people have you believe, and I am very skeptical of it's added value in Wurm Online. Most of the pro-immersion-breaking-item comments have been along the lines of "everyone should be able to choose how they look like", with which I don't agree as this isn't IMVU or Second Life, but the point is nobody actually seeks them with that much desire. Somebody pointed out on the patch thread that they can simply add fun but non-breaking cosmetics instead.

Edited by Idlamn
  • Like 1

you keep missing the point that what you call "immersion" is nothing more than things you personally like. thats all it is, when you dont like something you call it immersion breaking because you think that means something. 

there is no objective measure of what is or is not immersion breaking so what you are asking them to do is never add anything that you personally do not like.

2 hours ago, Simyaci said:

It would be great to have the option to hide cosmetics if it will help with lag and crashes in massive community events. 

you can already lower graphics, hiding cashshop bought unique looks is wrong path imo 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

there is no objective measure of what is or is not immersion breaking so what you are asking them to do is never add anything that you personally do not like.

Actually there is. It's defined by a general theme of a world presented in a believable way.

if for example I write a story set in 16th century France about noblemen and mercenaries , then after 400 pages of established descriptions of medieval / nobility life, traditions, dishes, habits, social mores, laws, armors, weaponry, castle and architecture descriptions, heraldry and all that I suddenly add a T-34 Russian tank that just kills the local butcher (who was the main character) and end the story on page 410 then that's a crappy story. If I don't hint to the reader what's about to happen, that time travel is a thing or whatever then I just committed a literary sin, namely to create a believeable world, also rarely known as the aletheic principle in literature.

Another example would be randomly adding laser pistols in Ghosts of Tsushima, which by the freaking way, has one of the most accurate historical representations of medieval Japan , both aesthetically and culturally.

Let me ask you this, would you feel ok if we added laser pistols in that game? Would it feel right? Would it make sense? Would it not break the immersion?

Immersion exists, it's literally one of the goals of any artist in the world to create an immersive experience whether we talk about music (the listener being enraptured by a song) , whether we talk about books - the reader using all his imagination and believing the story he is reading is true, whether we talk about video games - where an experience is greater than the sum of its parts.

One of the best horror games ever made was Amnesia The dark Descent. Why was it an immersive experience? Because the devs put a lot of love and care in designing the world but also the audio feedback to the player. The creaking of floorboards, the scuttering of insects in a corner, the panicked breathing of the character, the grinding of teeth, the pattering of rain on broken windows, the wind howling through the trees or through open corridors, all of those things accumulated in an immersive horror experience.

Immersion exists. Just because we don't measure it in liters or decimeters, or whatever simple metric you want, it exists and it's one of the reasons some games are insanely succesful like Alien Isolation who carefully replicated the technology and world of the first movie.

Edited by elentari
  • Like 13

seeing as people cut off rabbits feet and kept them as a charm a headband made out of their ears doesn't seem far fetched, im not sure of any superstitions about carrying tank parts with you however

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tpikol said:

you keep missing the point that what you call "immersion" is nothing more than things you personally like. thats all it is, when you dont like something you call it immersion breaking because you think that means something. 

Immersion is actually objective in a game. But we are going in circles.

EDIT: Nvm I see Elentari answered.

Edited by Idlamn
  • Like 1

Immersion exist, breaking immersion in a media is frequent and when taken over the top is known to damage the media, whatever it is, and that is called "breaking the suspension of disbelief". Not knowing these things does not means, obviously, that they do not exist, and while there is no way to asses objectively when that happens, and because it depends on the observer, it's almost impossible to "measure", except we can surely tell if it's happening, and it happens when people start to point at that as a problem.

Addressing this "problem", i'll start with this: if you go on Steam page about wurm, the first image that publicizes the game have a label in wich is written: "IMMERSIVE MEDIEVAL ADVENTURES".
This element states what to be expected from wurm game, by the very ones that developed it, so there's no way to take this wording differently than it is.

I won't go that far saying that the easter items must be removed, i don't find that one or two items are a problem at all, what i want to be sure is that this behavior won't be the norm and the game snowballing into gonzo style, wich, for those that do not know, is already happened in other games and yes, it harmed them, sometimes to the point the game lost his personality, most of the die-hard players, and ultimately ended up closed, or almost that.

What i will, let's say, suggest to the devs, is that from now on the things added to the game, whatever they are, responds to a few questions like:
- do this belong to this game setting?
- if not, is there something equally cool but setting adhering i can add instead of this?
- does what i am adding responds to the game intents (wich are buildings and terraforming, crafting, trading to other players, survival and exploration)?
- does the added stuff have a lot of components ingame and give the same amount of interest to players?
- if not, can we add less or make what we add more meaningful?

Maybe we can add more to refine the concepts of what to add to the game (wich responds to game design themes), but ultimately these parts are the ones that more often create the game context in wich the players move in, wich in turn optimizes the contents versus the resources needed to make them.

• Like 3

They forgot to add bunny tail plug for the best immersion and good luck charm.

But yeah, an option to disable all that jazz for those that are annoyed by it should do the trick so the rest can be immersed into the rainbowland on their own

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elentari said:

Actually there is. It's defined by a general theme of a world presented in a believable way.

if for example I write a story set in 16th century France about noblemen and mercenaries , then after 400 pages of established descriptions of medieval / nobility life, traditions, dishes, habits, social mores, laws, armors, weaponry, castle and architecture descriptions, heraldry and all that I suddenly add a T-34 Russian tank that just kills the local butcher (who was the main character) and end the story on page 410 then that's a crappy story. If I don't hint to the reader what's about to happen, that time travel is a thing or whatever then I just committed a literary sin, namely to create a believeable world, also rarely known as the aletheic principle in literature.

Another example would be randomly adding laser pistols in Ghosts of Tsushima, which by the freaking way, has one of the most accurate historical representations of medieval Japan , both aesthetically and culturally.

Let me ask you this, would you feel ok if we added laser pistols in that game? Would it feel right? Would it make sense? Would it not break the immersion?

Immersion exists, it's literally one of the goals of any artist in the world to create an immersive experience whether we talk about music (the listener being enraptured by a song) , whether we talk about books - the reader using all his imagination and believing the story he is reading is true, whether we talk about video games - where an experience is greater than the sum of its parts.

One of the best horror games ever made was Amnesia The dark Descent. Why was it an immersive experience? Because the devs put a lot of love and care in designing the world but also the audio feedback to the player. The creaking of floorboards, the scuttering of insects in a corner, the panicked breathing of the character, the grinding of teeth, the pattering of rain on broken windows, the wind howling through the trees or through open corridors, all of those things accumulated in an immersive horror experience.

Immersion exists. Just because we don't measure it in liters or decimeters, or whatever simple metric you want, it exists and it's one of the reasons some games are insanely succesful like Alien Isolation who carefully replicated the technology and world of the first movie.

Well said. Hope those that matters reading this as well.

• Like 1

I have been holding back a bit too because I am split as well. I like us to be able to express ourselves and have more diversity. I like the skins overall, and there is a lot of cool stuff. I like to thematically dress my alts for fun as well. I love everything Xmassy and cheerful too. I mean the baubles and Xmas decorations were great! The fact that things now can hang on walls is something we have requested for ages and thankfully it's here and hopefully more is to come.

But I do worry about the direction this is going. As Ehizellbob said the PMK has to follow Wurm aesthetics to be implemented. Tpikol replied to Idlam and said:

11 hours ago, Tpikol said:

its your opinion about what wurm aesthetics should be, an opinion not shared by most.

So the important thing to ask here is:
What is Wurm aesthetics to you guys (I am talking to the developers and art team)? Do you have a set of guides, a mood board and rules to follow when you go through approvals and ideas? Or is it based on intuitive personal preferences?

As a person with experience in UX, IxD and game design I see some of these things as deviations from the general guideline creating an incoherent expression in the game creating frustration and confusion. If people wanted colourful fairy wings or bunny outfits for real they would be playing final fantasy already and not Wurm. When designing an item for the game have the intended target group in mind: Wurmians. While some Wurmians might like the new items, it's always wise to ask yourselves if it's in line with the Wurm world. This is not about the bunny ears. They are not the actual concern. The concern for me is that the past two years or so I have to a higher degree felt that half the implementations of the game have been lacking a goal or clear significance to the game itself and therefore they have felt dispersed. When you design new content for a game that has a unique fanbase like Wurm I bet it's hard to define if it's in line with the clear directional progression of the game, but it's important to spend time on this so that the players feel like the game is going somewhere that makes sense. I am not saying that just because I have experience in similar fields that I know exactly how to run Wurm, but at least it leads to me questioning if there has been put thought and effort into creating a design guide for the developers and art team to align their creations for the game. I am sorry if you have already spent time on this, but to me, I would recommend spending some more time on it and deciding what exactly is Wurm aesthetics and what are your goals.

In regards to the immersion question, then anything new and added to the game has the likelihood to create a disturbance in immersion until the players get to know it. There are lots of rules about immersion and engagement in game design and there are a lot of scientific articles made about this. It can be measured and having a frame or sense of direction in a game creates an overall immersion.

4 hours ago, elentari said:

What Elentari said is very true. You create a sort of invisible contract with a player once they see the game trailer or description for the first time. Saying it's Mideaval means they expect Mideaval designs and environment. Breaking this will break the contract with the player and they will lose immersion. Indeed, what each player expects to be fitting or true for this contract can differ and each player has a different acceptance spectrum from each others, but it's the responsibility of the game designers to stay true to the contract they create. For players who have played the game prior game design is the contract of which you have with the player. A paper that goes well into this is Gualeni, S., & Vella, D. (2020). Virtual existentialism: Meaning and subjectivity in virtual worlds. Springer Nature. Here they for example state that "... in relation to immersion, we examined how “dissociative” blurring of actual- and virtual-world identities and experiences might contribute to problematic patterns"

Here are some good reads about immersion in case you want to know more about it:

Örtqvist, D., & Liljedahl, M. (2010). Immersion and gameplay experience: A contingency framework. International Journal of Computer Games Technology, 2010, 1-11.
Yao, Y. (2010). Exploring the sense of immersion of MMORPG game design.
De Castell, S., & Jenson, J. (Eds.). (2007). Worlds in play: international perspectives on digital games research (Vol. 21). Peter Lang.

I don't think we should rollback anything that is now in the game, but I strongly suggest before adding future new items/skins to the game that the art- and development team have a clear sense of why they add it and if it has the value they intend for the players in accordance with the general design guide you decide upon. Personally, if I had worked on the bunny stuff (sorry this item is being overused as an example in this thread but I am going to use it one more time) I'd be proud of my creation. It's cute! But it's not Wurm and that is when you do what in the Media world is called "kill your darlings" usually used in movies: You might love the scene recorded and it might have been done truly well, but if it doesn't fit into the movie and you force it in you might ruin the entire movie, while keeping it out of the final cut will produce a better-received result by the audience.

A final note. I have the fullest respect for the work that is put into any game. I love playing Wurm because its community is great and so highly valued. I am happy to see a discussion about the content and that we respectfully can word our opinions and thoughts to each other while being listened to. That is the strength Wurm has. A community that cares.

• Like 17

11 minutes ago, Fraskesa said:

What is Wurm aesthetics to you guys (I am talking to the developers and art team)? Do you have a set of guides, a mood board and rules to follow when you go through approvals and ideas? Or is it based on intuitive personal preferences?

i am not, nor have i ever been a developer or part of the art team. my opinions here are my own.

we are indeed going in circles because you keep "but look other people agree with my opinion that makes it objective" and it just doesnt. thats not how that works.

20 minutes ago, Fraskesa said:

large snip

Stop saying my thing with better word and more experience! XD

• Like 3

It is very simple. Players can have it both ways. All that is needed is a set of boxes to check on your profile settings ingame or on your client settings to disable fantasy skins, medieval and ancient fantasy skins, strictly medieval and ancient skins, any other type of skins that can be categorized. If you wanted all of them disabled, you could just check all the boxes and have all of them disabled. If you wanted them all enabled, simply have them all unchecked. Let people have what they want, let people see what they want. 

Edited by Simyaci

2 hours ago, Tpikol said:

i am not, nor have i ever been a developer or part of the art team. my opinions here are my own.

Yes that was very clear to me from your tag :)

I didn't ask you. I asked the art and developer team.

• Like 2

Well written and informative post that I can align with by Fraskesa, also a bit of a eye opener from an objective point of view.

A little behind the scenes of the Art Team would be interessting.

The entire debate felt a bit deflated and people throwing a stink over something (to me) so minor seemed a bit odd.

But as I wrote in the other post, the ears did throw me off a bit as well and I am not all to keen on them.

Maybe because in the past the "bigger" events had "better" gifts?

Something with a purpose, a combination or good looks and being useful (I still love the Picnic Basket and the Horse Satchels for example).

In the past the Event gifts - for a period of time anyhow - felt like they were themed to add a nice touch to a recently released new feature or content (the Picnic Basket came shortly after the cooking update if my memory is correct).

I miss things like that, now with the skins system it feels like it shifted more towards cosmetical or decorational stuff only,

thats probably a lot easier and faster to get done work wise and yes we all wanted decoration and more visual diversity in the game, but yea, can't really manage to put it in better words right now.

Maybe that creative freedom won with the skin system did let things slip up a bit.

And on "immersion", Wurm never managed to immerse me in any way, but thats a me thing, it just takes more for me to even have a chance to immerse myself.

I need more for that to work, like a good story, a character I can like and get attached to and so on.

When I play Wurm I spend half my time in spread sheets or collections of notes (yey cooking) which pretty much kills any chance for me to be immersed.

Also being a hermit and hardly knowing anyone in Wurm after more than 8 years of being around (which for some odd reason only happened to me in Wurm and I could not put a finger on why that is) also adds to this I suppose.

The few people I do talk to, talk about RL or what they are working on in Wurm which is fine for me, I enjoy the few conversations I do have in Wurm but regarding to immersion that does not work for it either.

I look in awe at the beautiful places people have created in Wurm, how they put detail into their creations and bring it to life that way and I guess thats as far as my "Wurm Immersion" goes, Screenshots of places. :)

That said, if others do get this immersion from Wurm, it should not be ruined by odd things poping up left and right.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Fraskesa said:

You create a sort of invisible contract with a player once they see the game trailer or description for the first time. Saying it's Mideaval means they expect Mideaval designs and environment.

On 1/18/2022 at 7:06 PM, Coach said:
  Hide contents

https://www.wurmonline.com/meet-the-team-outdated/interview-with-rolf-jansson/
Now that you’ve worked on Wurm a pretty long time, do you have any end-goal or final vision for the game?
That’s very difficult to have with a virtual world. I want it to keep growing for at least an additional twenty years, and for it to slowly become the leading fantasy-simulator. 
(from Creator)

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Your_first_days_in_Wurm_Online
(This article has been reviewed by Wurmpedia staff and has been accepted to contain up-to-date, factual, unbiased and opinion-free information. Consider this the seal of approval!)
Can I see my current location on the map?
The world of Wurm Online is based on a medieval setting, so there is no such thing as a GPS! Thus, you cannot see your current location on an in-game map. The challenge of finding out where you currently are is an interesting part of the game experience. Use the community map and try to find a landmark or a settlement close to you, then try to identify it on the map. Or talk to other players around you and ask them where you are.
(from Wurmpedia Staff last edited on 19 June 2021)

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Basic_Knowledge
It's Massively Multiplayer Online Fantasy Simulator (MMOFS), or you could call it a Life Emulator. 
(from a Wurmpedia Editor edited on 20 September 2021)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/366220/Wurm_Unlimited/
Wurm Unlimited is the standalone version of the fantasy sandbox world Wurm Online

https://twitter.com/wurmonline/status/1301497350519689218

Ever consider yourself an undiscovered writer of medieval sandbox fan-fiction? Well, now's your chance! Grab your quill and get writing for our awesome competition and get the chance to win premium time!
(from Former Community Relations Manager)

https://twitter.com/KatsPurr_/status/1425090986884145161

Almost 8 years of playing medieval #sandboxMMO #WurmOnline and still haven't explored every nook and cranny? Let's fix that today with our weekly Wurm Roulette! 
@wurmonline#Vstreamer #Vtuber
(from Current Art Developer)

https://twitter.com/KatsPurr_/status/1432715982645170181

A shrine on top of a mountain. A private island. An underground city. It's all possible in medieval sandbox MMO #WurmOnline. Let's set out to explore these wonders that players have made in yet another weekly Wurm Roulette #LiveStream! 
@wurmonline#Vtuber
(from Current Art Developer)

The newbie article that i read from day 1 said it is a fantasy, medieval games with a sharp, red sealing wax. 

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Your_first_days_in_Wurm_Online

lets define the word fantasy, a type of story or literature that is set in an imaginary world, often involving traditional myths and magical creatures and sometimes ideas or events from the real world, especially from the medieval period of history
Ref from https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/fantasy

Everyone have their impression of what wurm online present to themselves. Which means if the goal of the team is to make a fantasy game, and try to execute the game with a fantasy theme. But the players see the outcome isn't a fantasy theme, this thing is subjective, maybe the creator isn't execute the theme properly. 

I believe the responsibility of the player is to keep making sure that the team are on track, and keep giving nice feedback with reasons. To make a better and proper game. 

Edited by Coach

9 hours ago, Milkdrop said:

And on "immersion", Wurm never managed to immerse me in any way, but thats a me thing, it just takes more for me to even have a chance to immerse myself.

I need more for that to work, like a good story, a character I can like and get attached to and so on.

When I play Wurm I spend half my time in spread sheets or collections of notes (yey cooking) which pretty much kills any chance for me to be immersed.

Also being a hermit and hardly knowing anyone in Wurm after more than 8 years of being around (which for some odd reason only happened to me in Wurm and I could not put a finger on why that is) also adds to this I suppose.

The few people I do talk to, talk about RL or what they are working on in Wurm which is fine for me, I enjoy the few conversations I do have in Wurm but regarding to immersion that does not work for it either.

From my subjective experience the game can be very immersive. I also have out of the game stuff such as your spreadsheets, but still the game keeps me immersed somehow, despite it's straight line edged roads :) .

I remember playing checkers (for the first time in my life) with a friend near Summerholt. And because it got dark outside (in-game) and he couldn't see the black pieces that well made some mistakes and lost the game - if this ain't realism and immersion I dunno what is lol. I also remember when I started the game on Serenity exploring then as fog came over this giant spider surprised me, and I ran from it until I reached a boat I took. But the fog being so dense I just stood in the middle of the lake waiting for it to pass as I couldn't see which way to go. Even when I meet people in the game world and we talk about w/e subjects, it still seems immersive enough compared to other games I played (I also think those chat bubbles fit very well with the rest of the game).

The vast landscapes, the ambient sounds, etc. all help with this.

But like I said it is subjective. I purposefully allocate my time for the game so I don't get bothered with other stuff. And I do notice when I open multiple clients or open other games in the background there is no longer any immersion, just some game :).

I have friends who tried it and for them, while not appealing overall with the apparent grindy nature of it, they did like the immersion the game offers. To be honest they see it as the only thing the game has to offer, which is untrue. Point is it is a selling point of the game and a strong one. The game as it is right now doesn't need any change of direction or additions or lets add fluffy stuff or anything. It needs improvement in already existing areas. Fluffy ears and this trend if continued will not turn Wurm into Aion overnight with players coming in just to buy funny looking costumes, what it might turn it into is the same Wurm minus the immersion aspect.

By the way I played and plan to play Aion classic again. Nothing really against some of the design choices in that game, it's a solid game, and character customization there was a big appeal for me. But Wurm isn't Aion and I like Wurm for what it is.

Edited by Idlamn
  • Like 3

I dont see the problems with bunny ears, heck im dissapointed we didnt get a full bunny outfit. Also give us a santa clause suit at christmas,

Doubt you see many people running around with bunny ears a few weeks from now so dont really see the big issues.

I see nothing immersion breaking about this event:

image.png

Considering we regularly go fight these, it really just seems like par for the course:

Riftogre.jpg

Face it, we play a cartoon game about pushing the numbers ever higher while making the boxes flatter.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Aleck said:

Face it, we play a cartoon game about pushing the numbers ever higher while making the boxes flatter.

It doesn't look like a cartoon game and it's not even advertised as such.

On 4/8/2023 at 6:09 PM, Coach said:

Also it's literally considered a more realistic version of Minecraft.

Edited by Idlamn
  • Like 4

"More realistic version of Minecraft" does not make me think "hyper realistic medieval farming simulator" as it apparently makes others think.

If it helps, the bunny ears and backpack are a lot more realistic-looking than I imagine they would be in Minecraft.

• Like 2

I somehow thought you would say that :). It's not a hyperrealistic medieval simulator like Kingdom Come of course. But over time it showed just how much medieval and how much fantasy it is. It's actually one of the games witha more realistic appeal.

Look at this for example:

real longsword Medici-sword-hand-forged-battle-ready-me Wurm longsword: 200px-Longsword.png fantasy longsword: Footman's Longsword - Item - World of Warcraft(this is the least over the top ones in WoW)

Another example:

real war hammer English Warhammer     Wurm small maul skin: Loyalty program - Wurmpedia

fantasy 1h warhammer: Warhammer of the Order - Item - World of Warcraft

A sword with a skull in Wurm (for some dark lord rp whatever):

Loyalty program - Wurmpedia,

while in a fantasy game you'd see  EHWZmpkWsAEFcOP?format=jpg&name=4096x409

You can see that Wurm even if does add some fantasy elements is on the more realistic side. This is a good appeal for a game to have. There are plenty of games without over the top weapons and armor that do very well, see LotRO which has a profitable cash shop btw.

It doesn't aim for historical accuracy (look at the 2h axe that would prolly weigh 20kg in iron, same with the default maul skins) but the weapons and armor are neither cartoonish nor over the top fantasy.

Cartoon appeal is 0. This is what a cartoon game looks like:

toontown-online_1.jpg

ae73edc4a32b3a2fa8dc650b21127f09d2-club-

• Like 1

Funny enough, I play WoW. I think my cow monster actually looks less goofy than my wurm character, even with the bunny gimmicks removed and my usual helmet back on:

image.png

image.png

The giant shoulderpads are the most glaringly ridiculous piece of the wow gear, which is one of their art signatures. I prefer a more "realistic" look, myself, funny enough.

Considering the worst I can manage on Wurm is currently this:

image.png

It really seems like a lot of overblown pearl clutching to me. Because, again, we regularly fight things that look like this in our "aesthetically realistic game":

2014-02-06_wiki_troll.png

Riftjackal.jpg

HellhoundRender.jpg

Mule.png

But I guess it's forgotten because our armor and weapons are more realistic than our... competitors? I'm not sure who we compete against as a 20 year old game that looks and feels like a 30 year old game.

I suppose Farmville and Cookie Clicker can't quite stand up to us?

Some people like the goofy skins. Some people hate them. Some of us don't care either way and think it's a ridiculous (and entertaining) argument.

But some bunny ears and teddy bear backpacks aren't going to "ruin the game" unless they become the staff's sole focus, which they clearly are not.

Edit to add: P.S. I tentatively like the idea of being able to disable seeing goofy skins. But I share the hesitation of "If too many people disable seeing things others paid for, that disincentivizes buying them to begin with."

Edited by Aleck
Added a P.S.
  • Like 3

WoW is not goofy looking. It just follows a different aesthetic where all things seem to have exaggerated proportions. Think it is based off a comic book. If you put a Wurm longsword in WoW it would look off same as if you put a WoW sword in Wurm.

25 minutes ago, Aleck said:

But I guess it's forgotten because our armor and weapons are more realistic than our... competitors? I'm not sure who we compete against as a 20 year old game that looks and feels like a 30 year old game.

I suppose Farmville and Cookie Clicker can't quite stand up to us?

Some people like the goofy skins. Some people hate them. Some of us don't care either way and think it's a ridiculous (and entertaining) argument.

It will compete with other games in it's niche and it does have things to offer including the graphics. The graphics aren't actually trash tier in the game so the argument "the game looks trash anyways why not add whatever in it" doesn't really hold. Sure, the graphics isn't cutting edge (neither is it in Valheim, Runescape, WoW), but it looks good, it has charm, it has immersion.

I pointed out the realistic looking weapons as that has been the aesthetic of the game compared to other games and not cartoonish, as I said before the game never was kingdom come. It's a fantasy game so you get dragons, hatchlings, trolls etc., that are fantasy creatures. Doesn't mean you can throw just about everything in.

If a game has trolls or ogres it can have miniskirts and lambos thrown in it and it won't look off?

56 minutes ago, Aleck said:

Considering the worst I can manage on Wurm is currently this:

image.png

Even considering the edgy dragon armor, those goofy cosmetics look completely off.

• Like 2