Sign in to follow this  
BertimusPrime

Account Stolen - Trying to get it back

My original account "[Redacted]" from 2010 was stolen during a period of time when I was inactive online. I have been working with Mods and GMs to recover my account, but it hasn't resulted in the account being placed back under my control. The GMs said the person who has control of the account provided communications of a transfer of the account back in 2014, which did not happen by me and the legitimacy of these communications is in question. Between the years of 2012-2015 I was dealing with starting a family, working and providing for my family, and generally living life. Little did I know that someone had gotten a hold of my login information and stole my Wurm account. I can only think that the thief still has the account under their control, if not then there is some innocent person who was traded a stolen account. Regardless, I want my account back. My only recourse at this point is to reach out here on the forums in a general post in an attempt to draw more attention to the situation and possibly draw out the current "owner" of the account into a discussion. I have a long history with this character, as I and my at the time roommate @Kazwere part of testing out the tutorial system as they were developing it back in 2010 when we joined. We played on the Golden Valley server all the way up to the point that they decommissioned the server and had us all move to the Prem server clusters. We chose to jump to Independence during the merge. I moved out of the place Kaz and I were sharing after meeting my daughter's mother at the end of 2012, after that I wasn't able to even attempt to log into Wurm until 2016 after the birth of my son. When I came back I was unable to log into my original account and was forced to create a new toon, "Merculies". I attempted to recover the account after creating the new account in 2016, but nothing came of it. I played for a few months that year and fell off again. I am back now and I am back for a long haul. 

Edited by BertimusPrime
Redacted original toon name. Not trying to harass, just want what is mine. The name IS intellectual property belonging to Lifted Legion Productions, LLC.
  • Like 3

transferring ownership of accounts was disallowed back in 2020 so what are you hoping to accomplish, you cant get ownership of the account back

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

transferring ownership of accounts was disallowed back in 2020 so what are you hoping to accomplish, you cant get ownership of the account back

Well, seeing that it was stolen, they should have no issues giving it back to me seeing that I am the rightful owner.

At the time, the policy was that account sharing was allowed but no support would be offered for loss due to account sharing. The currently policy is that the account holder is the person with the registered email address. So petition if you will, but you're probably out of luck. Sorry, friend.

3 minutes ago, BertimusPrime said:

Well, seeing that it was stolen, they should have no issues giving it back to me seeing that I am the rightful owner.

- they paid money for the account

- they've had the account for almost a decade and probably put a lot of work into it as they're still actively playing for gm's to talk to them whereas you played on it for 2? years. at this point they've had a lot more history with the account than you have

- it's against the rules to give you ownership of the account back

- you're essentially making a name and shame stolen account thread instead of pm'ing the person and discussing it in private

i can see a few issues

• Like 4

Sorry this happen to you but current holder bought this back in 2014, thats 9 years ago, he/she probably did it in good faith, it would be unfair to tae it away, this would have to be dealt with back then. maybe it also be hard to.prove that it was stolen from you.

Let it go and move on.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stinboi said:

Let it go and move on.

Sorry, but that I can not do.

Sounds like you shared that account with somebody else and they sold it to the current owner in 2014? You already couldn't use the account in 2016 and instead of doing something about it then, you made a new account and ignored your old account?

Now another 7 years later you finally want that old account back, while whoever bought it (likely in good faith) has owned the account for most of it's existence and quite possibly invested more time and money into it than anybody else ever has?

I'd love to get a (probably) high skilled account without putting much effort into it as well, but I don't think that's how it works ;). Besides that, back then there were clear warnings about account sharing and the risks involved, including that no help would be offered if accounts were lost due to that.

I think if you had gone after it when you first noticed issues in 2016, then you'd have had a pretty good argument for it, but instead you abandoned it and left it like this for another 7 years. Trying to get it back now is just rediculous, and extremely unfair to the current owner of it, if you ask me.

Edited by Ecrir

You put off recovering the account for 7 years, mate. You played for months after finding you couldn't access the account. That is some master level procrastination.

3 hours ago, Schiann said:

You put off recovering the account for 7 years, mate. You played for months after finding you couldn't access the account. That is some master level procrastination.

As a pro-procrastinator I have to agree with you. (And it made me laugh!!)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BertimusPrime said:

Sorry, but that I can not do.

Well you know what else you can't probably do now? Get your account back...

The whole situation sound very messy, but if someone else who is also a third party invested significant time into that account don't think you have moral higher-ground here to just show up and take it.. As for the person who sold your account without your knowledge if that's the case that's between you and them if they still play...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kochinac said:

As for the person who sold your account without your knowledge if that's the case that's between you and them if they still play...

Well let's hope the GMs and Devs are working on find out who stole the account, and how it was sold... if indeed it was sold. I seriously doubt the current owner's claim of the account being transferred to them. I have seen NO proof of this so-called communication.

Whom ever it was that stole the account need to have action taken against them and their accounts.
It has been a pain staking process to get even this far with attempting to recover the account. 
My old roommate was even able to dig into OLD files and found proof of the account belonging to me, and further proof that I was completely inactive from late 2012 to early 2016. 

I came here expecting to need to add an official public response to this,  but I am very pleased with everyone and how they explained the rules.

BertimusPrime,  I had some minor interactions with you back in 2012 I believe, but I have nothing to work with to rule in your favor for the exact reasons everyone here has explained.  I am under no onus to provide the information you seek as it would violate our privacy policies.   I had one lead and one opportunity to try and retrieve the account for you since we have no evidence to backup any theft claim, and that lead turned into a hard no.  

There is nothing you can do now.  You and your friends continuing to PM me, or posting in public isn't going to change it. People here have clearly explained why.

/Enki

• Like 8

So, just so we are clear here @Enki, there will be NO action taken against the account thief?

You are telling me that you can not provide the communication about transferring the account because "it would violate privacy", but you are still treating this situation as if was the one who transferred the account. If this was the case then it would not be a violation of privacy as the communication would have come from me.... it didn't come from me and that is proof that the account was stolen.

I am Premmed on my current account all the way though to the end of Nov. 2026.... I am not going anywhere.

Edited by BertimusPrime

Is it about the name? 

Like, an account that someone has been playing for 7 years will have skills way beyond what they were to you, so I'm wondering if it's about your connection with the name more than anything. 

If you've been harassing enki about it all as he alludes to (my words, not his) then perhaps giving you the name of the person would lead to them being harassed about it. 

Honestly, with this amount of time gone, you've not had the account longer than you have had the account, what's the purpose of this? 

• Like 2

In real life law, the Statute of Limitations exists for a reason. Facts and proof get muddied the longer a case goes cold, making it impossible to determine anything.

I don't know what spurred you to suddenly desire your account back now, but you're well past the point where any honest GM could justifiably make a decision. That means it most likely defaults to you losing your case.

If you had your account stolen, it sucks, I'm sorry you had it happen to you - but the possibility that you're trying to reclaim sold property is too strong and barring further proof beyond your word, you might not be able to truly convince anybody to the contrary. Even if you do manage to get public support from the forum community, we're so far removed from the actual case of alleged theft, that the rules and onus on the users have drastically changed in Wurm, so I doubt the GM's could do anything about it anyways.

Regardless of how this case ends up. My suggestion is to avoid pestering Enki or the GM's on their ruling. People have been perma-banned for similar stunts in the past.

Edited by Viceren
  • Like 7

Interesting, we have evidence of the account in question participating in a sermon group back in 2012-07

Seems to me the account in question has become a priest alt, provided the lack of general "chatter" in public channels that could be dug up from the logs.

One entry back in 2017-09 shows that the player of the account in question was asking in CA HELP how to see what religion your toon is.

Also, in purely my personal opinion... reading trough older log entries made by BertimusPrime makes me cringe and hopeful that BertimusPrime's past life teaching experiences have made him very VERY much more mature. That would be of benefit because he says he is here to stay. Welcome back BertimusPrime and please leave the poor alt priest in peace. ;)

• Like 1

if you want to get back into Wurm, please don't waste time.  Make a new toon now, get to work on it right away and very soon it will have far higher skills than any previous toon you had. I advise everyone to move on from the past, put it behind you and please don't cheat yourself out of the fun and memories you can start making now.  See you in game! :) 

7 hours ago, Raybarg said:

...reading trough older log entries made by BertimusPrime makes me cringe...

What older logs? Because before this year I had only made one post on the forums... and it was about suggesting we add alternative barding to the game, for mobs like bears... seeing that we can ride them, it's only fitting.
I'm a little confused, is making a suggestion that other people agreed with "cringe", or are you just coming in here trying to be funny?

This is a forum post from when I was active on my original account... @Raybargyou were in the Royal Oaks Preacher group too on Indi back when I was playing. 

Edited by BertimusPrime

1 hour ago, Muse said:

if you want to get back into Wurm, please don't waste time.  Make a new toon now, get to work on it right away and very soon it will have far higher skills than any previous toon you had. I advise everyone to move on from the past, put it behind you and please don't cheat yourself out of the fun and memories you can start making now.  See you in game! :) 

I have had a new toon since 2016 when I returned to the game and found that my old toon was stolen. As stated previously, I did attempt to recover the account then, but did not have access to the information on @Kaz's PC, as he relocated from Washington to Tennessee. I was only able to get in contact with Kaz recently, and was able to provide more information to GMs that proves that I am the original owner.

As I have been provided no proof of so-called communication about a transfer I supposedly made, due to "privacy", it should be a red flag to anyone following this thread.... after all if I did in fact communication with and transfer the account to the current owner it wouldn't be a breach of ANYONE'S privacy, as I would have already seen the communications. Does that make sense?

Edited by BertimusPrime
Typos, sorry typing in phone and autocorrect sucks.

On 3/30/2023 at 1:44 AM, BertimusPrime said:

GMs said the person who has control of the account provided communications of a transfer of the account back in 2014

I bought an account about 9 years ago. If i didn't have the screenshots of the conversations, previous owner could claim the same, 9 years later. Do you think the character i have worked on for almost a decade should be taken off of me because someone claims after all this time that they didn't sell it? Or if they claimed that whoever stole the account, sold it to me, where i have bought it in good faith, not knowing it was stolen?

If you made that claim when it happened, i'm sure you would get a lot of support.

Now it looks like the (genuine) proof below:

cLzckNm.png

Can i haz my old account back? Character name is Oblivionnreaver and i really want that name back.

I had things and stuff in real life so i'm only reporting it now. Please return it to me, the rightful (pinkypromise!) owner.

<serious part>

This case is lost. Accounts transferred back when it was allowed remain in the new owner's hands. Unless it's a fresh case and someone guessed your password, i'm surprised Enki entertained this post with an answer at all.

GMs responded to your query via official channels as you say. You know the verdict. Causing drama and potentially damaging the new owner's reputation (who does have the proof that they obtained the account in a legitimate way) is unlikely to make any difference, definitely not in a positive way for anyone involved.

</serious part>

Your energy would be better used on getting your new character on par with the old one.

• Like 2