Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Miniature forge for boats/vehicles.

Being able to improve in a boat is very convenient. But that does not work with metal imping.

I'm hesitant to talk about details because people like to argue about that and devs tend to do what they want anyway. Now, I prefer less restrictions on items. But even with crazy nerfed and limited implementations, at least I could improve metal stuff in a boat, so either way works.

For example, I like this kind thing:
* Anything can go inside it.
* It's portable and works no matter where you put it (even use it from within inventory). 
* It's large enough to heat a single item and a few lumps.
* Has no item count limitation other than the standard 100 item per container.
* Has the same fuel efficiency as the rock forge.
* Constructed from clay bricks, mortar and any metal. The final material matches last metal part added and improved with metal tools.

• Like 3

+1       

Can even use some mostly unused metals/alloys to make and imp those. Game needs to have all of its materials very relevant. 

There were actually mobile ovens in the Middle Ages. So why not in Wurm Online as well?csm_konstanzer-abschrift-back1465_7da8d2

• Like 1

Ultima Online has those :https://www.uoguide.com/Fire_Beetle

Hellhorses and other hell creatures (or perhaps a new animal which has to be fed charcoal/tar to keep it alive as a tradeoff for a portable forge ability) could be used?

Hell creatures, having what looks like lava pattern already, might not be that much out of place in a world where we have magic.

• Like 1

Hell Scorp corpses in wagon heating whatever put into them would be the simplest solution lmao 

Is this desirable in the light of it being a step towards making deeds redundant?

It would just reduce deeds from being 1000000 points positive to 999999 points positive. 

UO's animal system is very robust. It has been proven to be adored and be enjoyed by the player base. WO animal system on the other hand is exactly the opposite, a pile of steaming cow dung. I'm very opposed to having animals provide the heat source. Even if the WO's animal system was better, it's overly complicated to use animals in such a way.

The desire here is to make it so metal crafts can be improved while embarked like all the other crafts. 

I agree that it is better to have an extra tool made from unused alloys/metals but I am just saying hellscorp corpse would be the easy and simple solution. Besides, Hellscorps are pretty tough and aren't very thankful when you kill them. They should be more thankful. 

Call it a portable brazier and I think we're good.

But don't let people pick it up or load it if it's hot

Edited by Sheffie

The device must enable improvement of metal stuff while embarked in a vehicle (like a boat/wagon)! We can currently do this with everything except metal crafts.

@Sheffie

If you can't pick it up or load device when it is hot, how do you use it to improve metal crafts while moving around and embarked in a vehicle (boat/wagon/whatever)?

I think this is a good idea, and like you say, most everything else can be imped from a vehicle.  Some ideas:

• We could use something like a hota that can be loaded and keep things hot.  This would remove the need to carry fuel, but we would still need a regular forge on land initially to get things up to temperature and just transfer the hot items before departing.
  • A mini clay forge/stove like a chimenea, small enough to be portable, but made of pottery and eventually needs to be replaced.
  • A small purpose built marble forge (finally!) in a compact design
  • A fire pit - specially designed for mobile use, with a spark guard:
Spoiler

Wayfair | Spark Screen Included Williston Forge Fire Pits You'll Love in  2023

Otherwise:

Spoiler

Wherein I Mercilessly Slaughter Your Dreams of a Viking Funeral | The Order  of the Good Death

Edited by Muse

Strongly oppose the use of hot statues. Forcing PvP upon PvE (whether by participating in PvP or, buying from PvP'ers) is bad game design.

I like the idea of a small 'crude' forge made of clay (unfired) which you then light to fire it.  This would end up being somewhat portable, much smaller than a standard forge, and also the first 'forge' many wurmians would make, as it would be much simpler.

Small (or miniature) forges, ovens, and fireplaces could be made of different brick materials.  These would be similar in complexity to a standard forge, or potentially a little more complex, including a door/lid, floor protection, and some kind of handle setup for loading/unloading.

Just a few thoughts...

• Like 1