Sign in to follow this  
Jakari

Rare rolls and improving

I realize that rare rolls were reduced significantly while doing improvement actions. That saying i do all the smithing actions and since returning to the game a couple months ago i have not gotten a rare roll while doing improvements. I have gotten them doing other things but since 75% of what i do is improving you would think that i would get one on occasion. I play many hours a day and will sit and improve stuff hours at a time. Is there a chance i'm bugged? I dont feel i'm that incredibly unlucky. I have even went back and looked at some of my logs and searched for inspiration and find nothing. 

So you have to do an action within the 20 second timer. Increased to 30 with deed bonus and further with journal. If you are maxing out your que you are surely missing the window. Other things just as right clicking as well waste the window. 

Yeah, I would switch to using hotkeys for you imping and repairing to reduce the time you are using between action timers. 
But also, I have noticed a huge difference in the amount of rare rolls while improving items. I just don't get them, I think I had 1 drum roll on an item with a Rune of the Scavenger and nothing happened.

So i use hot keys already and i have woa on all my tools and i dont max out my bar. So my actions tend to be pretty quick definitely under 20 secs. There is no way i'm missing that window with the hundreds if not thousands of actions i've done. I've played wurm on and off for many years and never had this issue.

• Like 1

I have imped many rares and supremes and it's simply luck. In 4 hours of imping I get 3ish rare rolls but I've also gone days without them. 99 blacksmithing and all my things are 100+ woa 95+ ql. It's not unheard of to imp for seventy hours and get 0 rolls. 

73 blacksmithing, 55 jewelry, 50 lock, 50 smithing. And NO rares in all of that though?

Almost ANYTHING you do can consume your rare roll. Right clicking, combining items, taking items out of the bsb, if you're doing anything besides just keybinding improve and repair, you're reducing your chance of rare. Also, if you queue several actions, anything past 20-30 seconds is reducing your chance of rare. For example:

Action 1: 10 seconds

Queue action 2: 12 seconds

Anything after this probably isn't going rare

Also, queueing multiple actions before you know if they are needed will use your rare window too. If you queue improve, repair, improve on the same item, you just lost 2 chances if the first was successful. Or If you're queueing lump, water, sharpen, etc. All those other actions just used your window.

Edited by Aeryck

my assumption is that you're repairing than imping which basically removes any rare chance due to how the game handles rare windows (the rarity is used by the first action started during the 20-30 second window, repairing combining anything like that will use the rarity window with no indication). improve then instantly queue up a repair instead and you won't be wasting rare windows

Statistically almost impossible to not get ANY rare rolls in all of the improving ive done. Also for the repair action to do that in that fraction of time every time i do an imps is probably as likely as not getting a rare roll ever.

rare windows don't activate during timers, they activate when the action is sent, the length of the action is irrelevant to activating rare windows. if a rare window opens in the middle of an imp, that imp won't activate the rare window, nor will any actions queued up, the next action sent will, which with imping is often going to be a repair action after you damage imping a large portion of the time.

I've done 1-95 in a skill without getting a single rare window because i was imping something i didn't care about and repairing before each imp and that's a lot more than what you did, and i've fully rared/two supreme piece'd an entire scale set in a week because i used an alt to repair inbetween imps and made sure not to do anything that could waste any rare windows. It's just a horribly implemented system

1 hour ago, Aeryck said:

Almost ANYTHING you do can consume your rare roll. Right clicking, combining items, taking items out of the bsb, if you're doing anything besides just keybinding improve and repair, you're reducing your chance of rare. Also, if you queue several actions, anything past 20-30 seconds is reducing your chance of rare. For example:

Action 1: 10 seconds

Queue action 2: 12 seconds

Anything after this probably isn't going rare

Also, queueing multiple actions before you know if they are needed will use your rare window too. If you queue improve, repair, improve on the same item, you just lost 2 chances if the first was successful. Or If you're queueing lump, water, sharpen, etc. All those other actions just used your window.

I will go about doing my improvements with out queuing repair in there but i still dont think i would miss every single one doing it like that. 

And by the way, thank you all for your responses. Good insite on the mechanics of the rarity function.

10 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

I've done 1-95 in a skill without getting a single rare window because i was imping something i didn't care about and repairing before each imp and that's a lot more than what you did, and i've fully rared/two supreme piece'd an entire scale set in a week because i used an alt to repair inbetween imps and made sure not to do anything that could waste any rare windows. It's just a horribly implemented system

I used a similar method to make my rare cart; only imped from 1-40ql since I have a 90%+ chance of successful action. No queue, only one action at a time. Burned them down with lava each time. Got 3 rare rolls, and rared on the third. Took maybe 4 or 5 hours.

• Like 1

Well i'm gonna go with my repair action was probably the culprit. I whipped up a bunch of horseshoes and only did imp until they all needed repaired. In doing that i got 2 rare rolls (no rare horseshoe) in around an hours time. Still hard to believe that i didnt just stumble into a rare roll in the last 2 months, just bad luck i guess. 

Thanks everyone for your input. Made me sit down and really do some testing on how i do my smithing. I have no doubt that i'll pop a few rares now.

• Like 1