Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

Would anyone even come?

I want to build things designed for public use, as I'm not a player who likes to play solo. I find my motivation stalling, because I pause and think, would anyone even care? Would anyone care to visit a flower museum with a flower cafe, meant to uplift spirits? Would anyone order flowers from "Xanadu's florist"? Would anyone care to sit at a table with me and have a meal, play checkers, etc? I'm very lonely irl and miss these things irl. I'm also thinking of building a replica of the Lighthouse of Alexandria, meant to inspire awe. Would anyone care? I feel like most wouldn't. Another thing I want to build is a garden of healing, with beauty, and heartwarming quotes from irl. It would be unvisited and neglected, wouldn't it....

I've done a ton of exploring so far and know that when people find themselves in Wurm, they can be overtaken with wonderful ideas. I once came across a decaying jousting range someone built in the middle of nowhere. The names they gave to everything revealed that they were excited about regularly getting the public together to joust. I've a feeling that this never took place. 

• Like 9
  • Cat 1

It sounds like a lovely idea!  I have can't say if anyone would show up, but SFI is supposed to have much nicer players than NFI.  As long as you get satisfaction and pleasure from creating something like this, in the end I think that is what really matters.  Take lots of screenshots of your progress and players may become interested.  There is also the philosophy "build it and they will come". :)  

I have also considered something like this as part of my deed for visitors to Melody, but I always have trouble figuring out perms.

• Cat 1

Would be nice if we had something like in game tourist attractions for each server, maybe a server board to see "interesting locations " in wurm for people. Otherwise you'd have to rely a lot of personal advertising.

• Like 5

Location, Location, Location... The closer you are to the server border the more likely people are to come take a look, and stop by for tea and checkers, especially on Xan. Those are nice ideas you have Ayuna, would love to see them realized, but if you put it in the middle of Xan, like that jousting arena, it's unlikely to get too many visitors. Kinda like that awesome Puzzle Labyrinth, if there weren't portals to it from every starter town, their visitor count would be much, much lower than it is. 

• Like 6

I do enjoy exploring other people's deeds and public areas and find the idea attractive but I personally would never bother travelling to something on Xanadu.  I suppose I'm spoiled living on an 8x8 km map but even the server border to the shore is a turn off on Xanadu.  

• Like 4

Grab the big island near Glasshollow - great spot for something like that.  

But, ya, as Dale said - it's really all about location.  You would also want to organize events to do at it.  Not imps, but something like a regular game night.   

• Like 2

I created places like that on release. Even created a games room but the main problem I found was waiting for people to come.

It is far better to go to the people then wait and see if they will turn up.

I would say that you've kind of sabotaged yourself being on xanadu.  Unless you are near a server crossing. 

It might be better to move to a server that is smaller, has a active population and create a deed near other active players so you have a good support network of players around you who may even help promote your area to others.

• Like 1

its a greate idea but to be honest, not sure how many visitors you would get, location is important and it should atleast be near ocean for easier accesss.

My advice is if thats you goin ahead and build it, do it for yourself, not with an expectation that it will be a lively area, probably someone will drop by now and then if you make it known.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Ayuna said:

Would anyone care? I feel like most wouldn't.

"Oh baby, baby, how was I supposed to know?

Oh pretty baby, U shouldn't have let u go

U must confess that ur loneliness is killing u now

Don't u know u still believe

That folk will be there

And give you a sign

Build it, baby, one more time"

Not everyone but someone, unless u see everyone as one.

Based on your other Town Square thread on the exact same topic people are very divided on this and you'd probably get at least a handful of visitors.

We would be interested in visiting for sure :) But yes it depends on location. And many people, us included, has developed a barrier towards going to xanadu to look for something. You know, when wind is not on your sail and you'd be sailing and sailing and sailing.. ;) I know atleast a couple of streamers that would be very likely to want to come and stream from your place too, so if you feel like making it - go ahead :D

i love to explore and find things in game, and see them, and often i do wander around just for the pleasure of looking at the nice landscapes wurm have to offer...and i know i am not the only one doing that, so believe me, people will get there from time to time: leave a sign book with some dyes around, and some papers, and you'll see how many ppl will get there!

On 3/17/2023 at 8:56 PM, Spacy said:

something like a regular game night.   

this actually sounds amazing lol I play on Epic exclusively which means that I have bunch of crap sitting around on a friend's deed on SFI while I play over on Epic. Once in a while I come back to poke around but there's no one in local for miles so I don't stay for long. If I had a local friend on SFI host a game night once a week, I would 100% go play checkers and chat. +1 if there's a discord with voice chat included! I'd be so down

• Like 1

I'd show up from time to time for sure. Location (i.e. travel) doesn't matter to me all that much since I enjoy it.

@Sidereal and I would come!! but not to the middle of Xanadu . .. :P so yes location matters!

• Like 1