Sign in to follow this  
Finnn

lets kill the floating stump meta

Tie skill or QL to some kind of speed boosts.

sailing at 10 or beow kmh should not be content, it's just painful

• Like 7

meh pvp, fix it to not suck on pve only, pvp can struggle and poke each other while they do not move and immerse themselves into the fight with immobile boats

I'm voting +2 on that, you're right, dood, lets do it

maybe make boats slower on pvp to promote more pvp, always give the chasing boat a boost of +2 speed even, will that help?

4 minutes ago, Simyaci said:

-1 cuz PvP gatekeeper 

@Simyaci

• Like 2

Totally agree with this, especially with new players that build their own low quality boat instead of buying a high ql one.  I am still traumatized from travelling 6km/h in a low quality Corbita as a new player.  

Wouldn't mind seeing a sailing skill and navigation skill to increase boat speed.  Thoughts?  

• Like 3

allow oars to be usable to boost speed on a boat when wind is bad, more people using oars = more speed?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tukodama said:

Totally agree with this, especially with new players that build their own low quality boat instead of buying a high ql one.  I am still traumatized from travelling 6km/h in a low quality Corbita as a new player.  

Wouldn't mind seeing a sailing skill and navigation skill to increase boat speed.  Thoughts?  

well to be honest I do.. suggest speed to scale with the QL and leave not that much left in the hands of random wind events, difference is .. mediocre 20kmh speed to 10 or below... which is just painful to experience as traveling speed, once you're in your boat... you hardly have a choice to go back or summon back and ditch the boat.. you'd still need to go get it later etc... it's just traumatic painful staring at a low number and barely moving for a long long time, it's odd to have such depressive mechanic for transportation.

We used to have the rarity of the boat to add another prayer to "row" for you.. but.. well that is no longer the case because of pvp, on pve?? Odd..

56 minutes ago, Firecat said:

allow oars to be usable to boost speed on a boat when wind is bad, more people using oars = more speed?

What people? It's a niche game, and if you have a vehicle.. and you're not running 10 game clients/+.. what should be the speed?

Also 10+ game clients.. could be a boost but that should have a limit and hit a wall pretty fast to kill a meta of logging on/off alts as jet engine boosters for boats etc...

TEN GAME CLIENTS, should that be default necessary behavior for all to use a boat? hmm

General idea... make solo sailing not bad.. 1 way is to tie it to QL, another to get modifiers... something like horseshoes to apply to the boat.. sails... improve/repair/replace, ql50-70-90 and maybe if you have 51-59 ql.. have your boost for it.. but once it drops to QL50 effective.. stop there; same for ql 70-79 and 90-99, in the sense of .. if ql50 attachable sail gives you +3kmh speed keep that as permanent booster, same for 70 and 90 flat, anything above - add additional boost to extra ql above these specific QLs;

Additional boat-attachable mods should be possible to boost the ql.. QL of the boat alone does near nothing, literally, come on comment how much faster you sail around at ql50 and ql90, is it work the extra work, really? Really?

Sailing when there is little to no wind is pretty painful to say the least and it can be that way for hours if not days.

More frequently changing weather patterns with a boost to speed in lower winds would suffice.

Really this belongs in the QoL thread, life could be so much better.

😉

• Like 1

-1, another try at making the game "faster because yes" while there's no truly need. Besides living in xanadu, where i agree travel time is long, but you can find many solutions, any other server size is fine with actual speed: a good sailboat with decent ql and speed rune may run up to 15km/h even in no wind, that makes 1 hour of sailing to get from one side to the other of the server, perfectly fine.
Most of the times is a problem of knowing what to do, abuse serverjumps and knowing what to do again, and you'll find your life in game will be a lot easier.

• Like 1

Oars seem like a good 

4 hours ago, Firecat said:

This seems like a perfect solution on paper. In PvE, all paddling passengers add to speed. In PvP the same mechanic applies except when passengers paddle, they can be attacked but can't fight back until the paddling action finishes or is cancelled.

Low quality boat can be faster by having more passengers who keep retriggering the "paddle" action so are at least semi-active.

Passengers who are not paddling add to the weight of the boat and slow it down.

In PvP it's a choice between "let's fight that other crew" or "stop fighting and let's all paddle to run away"

Edited by Locath

Give the newbies a 2 month Rowboat speed buff that takes them up to 15 😛 

A sailing skill sounds great until it becomes PvP meta mandatory max skill. If it is only PvE, it has to give 0 characteristics or it will be the PvE meta to just sail around afk forever including in your sleep. There will be like 100 boats crossing servers at the same time. People will be bullied for making islands on grind paths. 

55 minutes ago, Simyaci said:

Give the newbies a 2 month Rowboat speed buff that takes them up to 15 😛 

A sailing skill sounds great until it becomes PvP meta mandatory max skill. If it is only PvE, it has to give 0 characteristics or it will be the PvE meta to just sail around afk forever including in your sleep. There will be like 100 boats crossing servers at the same time. People will be bullied for making islands on grind paths. 

no... alt meta.. no..

no need for sailing skill, there's shipbuilding, grind that.. and related skills for making a boat to get different boosts?

game is terrible at new player, goal is to improve experience as you get better later on

progression and rewarding your actions should be a thing

Edited by Finnn

On 3/11/2023 at 11:00 PM, Simyaci said:

I thought ql already gave speed boost to boats.

tiny, insignificant one, nothing to reward the ql, so.. either boost just that or add detachable items for a boost even at no wind, 10kmh or less is just a drag, that's barely moving.. even naked players in the woods run at 20kmh

• Like 1

"lovely", I'll reach destination in few days, my immersion is strong

6a32555291c0b571debaf31b19864704.png

sticker-clip-art-telegram-vyrubki-viking

• Like 1

What seems to be missing here is a simple thing

Let boat ql increase lowest possible speed aka ql 90+ boat=22km/h min while max speed remains the same while a ql 10 boat has a min speed of 15 this way there is 7km/h difference(which honestly is more then enough) for ql gain and a bigger speed gain then currently

After all the average speed of a knarr was 7 knots or 13km/h in rl but sailing at sub 15 is just slow for and in the end we are playing a game that makes us do a LOT of things while we all have limited time so why should sailing(something that is unavoidable if you wanna visit other servers) have moments of "oh joy i can go visit deli in 5 min from my deed" go to "oh itl take 50 minutes to visit deli with this wind i guess i better put on a movie or use an alt to sail while i log off and go play another game" or any other scenario(use alt that cant cross a server due to not having ownership who is a priest to summon soul you when it hits the border and cant cross?)

22-30 is a nice speed for us as plenty of us are happy with 22km/h speeds in boats so why not make that be the min for ql 90?

Add a weight restriction that slowly ticks down the boats speed down from 22 to 15 based on how full a boat is in terms of weight?(Yes im looking at who ever was going to complain about that)

Boat Consumables only for PvE that increases ship's default speed could help. There are so many unused content in the game that could be used as ingredient for consumables like that. 

-1 A good sailor plans their trips around the weather. 

11 hours ago, Atndy said:

-1 A good sailor plans their trips around the weather. 

what weather? 

besides wind, it's all for RP, sun does nothing, night does nothing, winter affects nothing, only wind is affecting boats in a significant way, where almost never lets players to sail at 30kmh or w/e, common state is 20kmh or sub if you get lucky or not

there's nothing to do while you sail, 10kmh speed sailing is torture

48 minutes ago, Finnn said:

what weather? 

besides wind, it's all for RP, sun does nothing, night does nothing, winter affects nothing, only wind is affecting boats in a significant way, where almost never lets players to sail at 30kmh or w/e, common state is 20kmh or sub if you get lucky or not

there's nothing to do while you sail, 10kmh speed sailing is torture

I said weather because that's the command to check the wind. With server crossing you should hardly ever sail against the wind.

There are ways to increase speed. Passengers, ql, rarety and runes. 

There are also different ways to sail, zig zag and angling.

There is as well many things you can do while sailing. Imping, repairing 

• Like 1

runes do nothing 

5-7.5-10-12.5% speed boost to nothing is still nothing

ql barely does anything at all <-

rarity does nothing for speed

alts are meta, do we need to run 5-20 game clients to operate a boat at not miserable speed?

Edited by Finnn

We need hard to make consumables made from barely used content to temporarily speed up both ships (its default speed and not wind) and wagons (carts too of course)