Sign in to follow this  
Gaffer

Disambiguate "unidentified fragment"

Give a distinct name to the unidentified fragments that require a brush so that they don't stack with those that require a chisel.

• Like 5

+1 Yes, this should be tagged QoL, as it would make Restoration a lot more efficient.

I'm tempted to suggest that we do away with these frags completely, as I am sure no-one needs 1/20 bricks, 1/26 ore, shards and similar items.  If anyone really wants to keep them, please say. ;) 

Edited by Muse

I don't understand why fragments should behave any differently than other stacks of items. In fact, I would find it more annoying to have multiple stacks to deal with.

(As for getting rid of some of the fragment types, or at least reducing their numbers, I'm all for that.)

3 hours ago, Muse said:

I'm tempted to suggest that we do away with these frags completely, as I am sure no-one needs 1/20 bricks, 1/26 ore, shards and similar items.  If anyone really wants to keep them, please say. ;) 

As a new player a year or so ago, I found the ore and shard frags to be pretty helpful in getting some raw materials that I otherwise didn't know where to get. My first oil lamp and my first marble baking stone were made from materials I got doing arch. As for things like tenons, branches, pegs and staffs - yeah they are pretty much useless except for fueling the forge or oven. Most of the tools and tool parts I just smelted into ore.

Edited by Gwiz
added thought
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pheonixluvsfire said:

can't you just sort them by the improve column?

Yes. That is what I do. Put the frags in a Inventory Group, open the group as it's own window (so they list individually, not stacked) and sort with the imp column.

I do sort them by weight as the 1.00 kgs always need chisel 2 times. So single identify action on the group twice and then resort until the full weight fragments are all gone. The I simply sacc all the "unidentified fragment"s that need brush as those are all basic material fragments only

Edited by Jaz

17 hours ago, Schiann said:

I don't understand why fragments should behave any differently than other stacks of items. In fact, I would find it more annoying to have multiple stacks to deal with.

(As for getting rid of some of the fragment types, or at least reducing their numbers, I'm all for that.)

there are already around 10 stacks to work with(statues/wooden/armor/containers/tools/weapon fragments...), 1 more or less wont change things that much;

While you restore stack of 1+/-100  items, you normally have 3 to 4 actions to do, 1 chisel, 2nd chisel, 3rd brush or there's additional 4th brush action to fully identify a fragment. Sometimes a fragment remains unidentified and requires brush action while it's stacked with the other chisel-action fragments; new code makes it really bad idea to use the wrong tool.

This could be either done as qol.. or kept as be-alert and react accordingly to the situation when and what you use when you identify fragments, depends what is intended.

+1

"Identified unidentified fragments" -> I find joy sometimes how I know these fragments I have already identified as being ore/shard/brick type, still remain as "unidentified."

Separating these fragments as I identify fragments is not the point here, merely the contradictory behavior of "identified unidentified fragments."

Ofcourse classifying them as "identified" is the point I am making, since only until they been identified further to discover what ore/shard/brick they be they truly remain as "unidentified" even though one could then argue them being "partially identified."
Here "partial identification" merely pointing out that we know what they will become just not specifically the type of those (i.e. we know its ore, just dont know if its lead or gold.)

In order to argue in favor of this change; think about all other fragments that become "xyz fragments" upon partial identification, they ALL work this way. We know "unindentified statue frag" will become a statue frag, we just dont know i.e. if its unicorn or eagle.

This, my own rambling lead to me think that these fragments should become "bulk resource frags", perhaps call them "unidentified bulk fragment" when they have gone trough their partial identification stage.