Sign in to follow this  
validate

New tutorial ideas, asking thoses who did it what you wish was added, that would have helped

New tutorial ideas, asking thoses who did it what you wish was added, that would have helped you enjoy and understand things eariler.

after watching new players stream thier wurm expirience . I find our tutorial and info after is lacking.  sure many of us. like to just go at it on our own . but seeing new players around for a few days or weeks and quit. i just wish they would tell us why they quit what they found hard to figure out. so we can help them.

I would like to see a book guide added to the game in all new player inventory. with basic pics on helpful guides. a little hand holding.  like needing a stone chilse to make a brick from rock shards.  also knowing how to improve items. 

i watched someone make many anvils because they would make it 1ql and use it not knowing they need to repair it often. until they imp it higher. 

I also seen a new player go and kill things and then open it's inventory and then walk away not knowing you need to butcher it.  i'd like to see a butcher knife as a starter item. as it has butcher in the name . new players would think of trying that.

i'm sure there's more.  i'd like to know from old and new players what would be really good to get added in.  the dev team is making a new one soon. would be helpful gathering this info. so they dont need to remake again in a few years.

player retension is the main reason.  Watching Katspurr today we see the climb at the begining is such a bad idea many new players have no idea they need to turn it off.  better display of that info should be added.  pics would help new signs maybe with small pics on them..

• Like 4

Basic, short tutorial videos on the forum. With a link visible in game.

• Like 3

EDIT: take a lot of this post with a grain of salt, I misremembered what's in the current tutorial and it's a lot less texty than I thought (though it could still be better.)

It really should be less text heavy and more interactive. Walls of text are not helpful! The tutorial now is much less interactive than I think it was in 2011 when I did it as a newbie, which is bad. I'm not sure I would've kept playing Wurm had I seen the current tutorial with how much text it has.

There should be a sequence of small, basic tasks to help people learn the game, with interactivity built in. After a quick in-game explanation of what Wurm is (in 3 sentences or fewer, keep it brief), it would be the player's turn to start learning. For instance, this would be an initial sequence:

• Press W A S D to move around.
  • Rotate the camera by holding down the left mouse button or by using the arrow keys.
  • Walk through the gate to your left. (this would be indicated by a clear arrow on screen, helping you move to the next task)
  • Right click the tree in front of you and press "examine".
  • Press F3 to open your inventory.
  • Double click the hatchet to "activate" it.
  • Nice! When you activate an item, it will become the tool you use to interact with the Wurm world.
  • Press "F" to cut down the tree in front of you.
  • Mouse over the log it dropped.
  • Pick it up by pressing F or right clicking and selecting "take".
  • Now, walk up the hill to your right.
  • It's too steep to walk up! Press "Z" to enter climbing mode, or the climbing button on your toolbar.

etc...

Things to notice here are that the instructions are short and clear. A player should only be expected to read huge walls of text once they're really into the game and have played for a few hours already (i.e.: we can indoctrinate them into being Wurmpedia fans later.) Tutorials have an extremely critical job to do: they're the first time a new player sees a new game, but they're also essential to whether or not that player actually learns how to play that game. Basically, I think tutorials are hugely important, and they should be designed to be easy to follow and not put people off by giving too much information.

This initial basic skills tutorial should be pretty quick. Then, the next steps would be in the actual game world, helping players discover more about Wurm but while playing the game. The journal should be more eye-catching and should be placed front-and-centre in the new player experience, sort of like a set of quests designed for new players. The game should help newbies start in areas with space they can settle in, directing them towards servers with space and heck, maybe even spawning them in an open space already. It's no fun spending the first hours of your time in Wurm just searching for undeeded land.

Finally, once in the game world, players should be strongly signposted towards the game chat, help channels, and the Wurmpedia. There should also be an easy option presented to newbies to allow them to show different-language help channels. Posting in a chat channel for the first time, asking a question in CA Help, etc. should be quests with rewards! Wurm is a really tough game, but it's much easier when you have people you can talk to and get help from - so the game shouldn't shy away from encouraging people to chat and get into the community as soon as possible.

I also think some basic tutorial videos could be really cool, +1 to that. If they were well produced and linked to in the game world then I'm sure quite a few people would rather watch them than do the tutorial in-game. I know for me personally, I normally prefer to learn games from YouTube videos over doing a tutorial.

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 3

@Docterchese Have you checked the current tutorial on Haven? It's basically all there - you are more or less describing what we have now! 😁

However, I agree that the in-game tutorial needs to be improved, and luckily our devs already have plans for it and it is a major task on their to-do list. 

14 minutes ago, Yaga said:

@Docterchese Have you checked the current tutorial on Haven? It's basically all there - you are more or less describing what we have now!

Hmm, seems I totally misremembered it from when I last saw it in April 😅

However, watching Josh Strife Hayes' video (I think this is still up to date with the current tutorial), I think my issues with it still were that...

1. Text is in a small window in the top right. It's easy to miss! I wish the popup was a bigger font and somewhere more central.

2. It still maybe gives a little bit more information than is needed, sometimes. I find I'm much more likely to read a single sentence than multiple. E.g., rephrase the multi sentences open your inventory popup to "open your inventory using the icon on the quickbar or by pressing i." Makes it as simple as possible to explain things!

3. It still looks and feels just like text boxes that slowly react to what you've done in the game world. I'd much prefer it if the tutorial UI was more lively and interactive, making it more engaging. Very few accounts even manage to complete the tutorial according to Steam achievements (~10% I think?) and I think the bland presentation surely has something to do with that, making the game already feel boring or dated maybe.

Though actually, the tutorial is better than I remembered, so maybe the priority for now should be adding to the in-game journal instead, and improving the new player experience in the first few hours after the tutorial.

Honestly, what do I know though, I've played Wurm for 12 years and am way past the point of really remembering what it's like to be a new player. It could be helpful to the devs if they sat down some gaming friends who've never played Wurm before and watched them do the tutorial. Find which things are sticking points, work out what is too difficult/incomprehensible about it that so many players never even finish it.

• Like 4

i'm watching a new player stream  trying to bring a mob that kept killing him to guard tower. and he sees the guard do nothing to help  . they don't know they need to type guards!  in local  can you type help in local too. even i forget.  but that would be great info early game for new players.

• Like 4

Instance the tutorial so the instance is reset and make it more interactive and less text heavy as people have suggested. The current tutorial almost has zero interactivity.

The fact that the "combat" section is a joke with a sign saying something like "gone on vacation" (unprofessional if you ask me) makes me wonder why it was put there in the first place if nothing teaches a player how to fight. Wurm's combat is clunky and archaic. In 2023, auto combat is not really an intuitive thing in an MMO.

Especially auto combat with long text feedback. 99% of games give you a damage number for a reason guys. It's easier to read "You do 37 damage" than "You maul venerable fat hell scorpius deadly hard in the head and damage it".

Quality of life? Add numbers to wurm?

Have players learn the basic stuff, including combat against simple mobs so they understand what they're doing.

We have journal goals for beginners like "Basic : Nature" or "Basic : Carpentry" but we have nothing related to combat.

There are a lot of things to say about the tutorial but the gist of it is that it needs to be interactive, less text, has to cover a new person's experience with the game (not a vet) , needs to offer follow up info after the tutorial is done and for pete's sake rework corpse runs for new players so they don't end up quitting after their 3rd death.

• Like 4

Basically, everything that has been said above, plus make sure it is in bite-sized chunks.  

I know I got bored with a seemingly endless tutorial process in Haven's Landing and I wanted to get playing.  Consequently I probably skipped some stuff I should have done and died 5 times and almost rage quite.  I know the skipping stuff was unwise, but having to do single actions then read instructions before the next action got incredibly frustrating.

I do think that what would be could is context-sensitive, pop-up overlay type information and pointers would be a good way to go.  Basically give a new player the equivalent of an invisible guide inducting them into the game until they either dismiss the guidance (altogether or topic-by-topic) or perform the action x times (or gain a certain amount of experience). 

We have all of these milestones in the achievements list - maybe instead of just triggering a check in the list these could trigger a decrease in the help in that area.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, validate said:

i'm watching a new player stream  trying to bring a mob that kept killing him to guard tower. and he sees the guard do nothing to help  . they don't know they need to type guards!  in local  can you type help in local too. even i forget.  but that would be great info early game for new players.

Early game contextual help would be good.  If a player has a mob targeted and mouses over the tower -  get a hint about calling for help, and maybe even get guided through binding - I am sure it is one of the the first keybinds for many

• Like 2

this is what a ton of us players do skipping to just get into the game.  and this is why I feel a guide book to look back at any point of the game could help vs the wiki.  i love the wiki.  but some people hate wiki's for games,  there are good beginer guides and videos out there. but  a task list on what to do next. or even searchable list as you play.  want to make a forge after finding iron ore.  search it in the craft window on how to build but when did they learn that?  having a list of normal things we as vets know and do early on new server releases, new players just don't know and don't want to read all day long.  a visual hand scetching book in game like other survial games have could help a new player in their first few days of playing.  

one more easyish option as when that confirmation email from account creation goes to these new players.  maybe it could have a list on it.  wiki links to the new player guide,  what to do now, first days ingame.  and maybe the dev team could have a youtube video explaning things . I understand why they can't link to player made tutorial videos. but make their own or hire some of the trusted streamers to make a video.  shorter the better.  but suggest watching these streamers and youtube videos alone with playing. so they may feel more confirtable asking questions.

and i really feel it would be great when a new player enters the tutorial place. that a CA gets notified and maybe pm's them after 5 min to see if they have questions in the tutorial since chat is disabled there for some reason.  and then after they choose a serve.  again the game lets CA help maybe just a txt in CA help welcome blaa blaa to the game (server)  and vets. CA's  could say hi, we're here if you have questions.  let us make the game more welcoming to new players.

i can't recall what game /games had like a mentor system on log in where someone would great ya and welcome you and let you know you can ask for help and where to get info.  I recall being attached to someon chat wise for first X amount of hours . 

13 yrs player still learning.   today i just realized i could pull the trade chat out in it's own window.  and finaly doing missions , i had no idea about them as the window was off. lol

• Like 3

I would like to speak to the "less than 10% complete the tutorial" concept that is floating around. Recently I had some research to do on new characters so I ended up wandering the tutorial area for an hour or more with a new toon. In the time I was there many toons came through.  I would say 8 came through and 6 of them appeared in the initial courtyard and immediately ran to the climb area - climbed up and ran straight through to the end where they disappeared. These were clearly alt toons that were being created by experienced players. The remaining 2 that did hang out for a while actually were following the steps in the tutorial. I could watch them moving back and forth and turning around and learning - I could hear them dig, then chop -  I watched them mine.. other words they seemed quite attentive and eager to learn how to do things. Their names stayed in the Tutorial chat window for a good 10-15 minutes while they went through the steps. So in my experience 100% of the new players completed the tutorial. Statistics can be misleading when not taken in context. How many experienced players created a character on steam just to check it out and skipped the tutorial? What did that do to the steam achievement figure? Most of the players I know have at least one alt. Some (like me) have 5. So in most cases 50% actually means 100% completed the tutorial and in my case 20% actually means 100% completed the tutorial. The tutorial is good! And I believe it works really well for those it was intended for - new players. Don't let that 10% stat get you down cause its not representative of whats actually going on. :D

• Like 5

according to steam 13.6 % completed the tutorial, its not 100% correct as many old players created characters through steam so its hard to know the exact numbers, im more worried that only 5% slayed a creatures, 3.2% joined a village, 2.4% built a house and 2.8% raised a skill to 20.

So the point is, how many of this are old players just jumping into Wurm from steam to check out the new servers when they arrived? quiet a few i guess, doesnt mean completion rate is high for new players tho.

for me Wurm can dropp the tutorial and just direct new players to the journal, i think thats more interesting and easier to learn from, not to mention more fun and rewarding.

achievements weren't added until the 11/MAR/21 patch, like 8 months after nfi launched. anyone who hasn't played since then (a large majority, as with any f2p mmo launch) wont have achievements even if they did them so the numbers are gonna be off. looking at % relative to other achievements, such as 36.7% of players who finished the tutorial killing a mob, 7.6% of players who plan a house quit before finishing it, 87.5% of players who finish the tutorial quit before ride a horse etc is more accurate.

I don't remember everything about the tutorial, but I think if these aren't mentioned, they would be a good idea:

• Explain about items taking damage, repairing and imping.
  • Explain more about crafting. In every other game I've experienced, repeatedly crafting the same thing over and over again is what gives you more crafting experience whereas in Wurm, imping is what improves your skill.
  • Explain about Wurmpedia. I don't think there's any way to know about the resource until you start asking questions and then CA Help or someone else asks if you've checked there.Way-back gamers will usually Google search for game wiki's, but some of the new generation of gamers may not be aware.
  • Explain, at a high level, about religion, meditation, and the paths you can take in those categories. Educate and get people excited about what they can look forward to accomplishing and what the gods are about. For example, I don't think/remember that I had to look up on a wiki to be introduced to Tunare, who was about Nature, the Tribunal who was about justice, Erolisi who was about love, Cazic-Thule who was about fear... etc. If I remember, that was all explained during character creation as you selected your race. Of course, Wurm doesn't have races, per se, but maybe it can be expained somewhere along the way in the tutorial.
  • Explain that the map should be used as a guide by checking out your surroundings and looking for wayposts on the road. I quit playing the first time I tried the game because I got killed and couldn't find my way back to my friends who were also new. It was a very frustrating experience for everyone because I was expecting to find dots on the map showing my location and those of my friends and thought something was wrong. I was simply lost and could never find them again. Also, there may be some players, like me, who live with dyscalculia and have a difficult time with maps and direction. Knowing about wayposts and how the map works ahead of time would have helped and would contribute toward diversity and inclusion.
  • I also agree about directing new players to the journal, but I don't think dropping the tutorial is such a good idea.

As mentioned, some of this stuff may already be included in the tutorial but I just forgot that it was. There were (and still are) so many things ingrained into my mind about how to play MMO's from 20+ years of gaming and Wurm seemed to throw almost all those things out of the window.

Edited by Moonbeams
  • Like 2

The most in-depth tutorial I ever experienced was on a WU server. I Think it was Mythmoor, however I may be misremembering, so forgive me if I am incorrect. 

There was an entire starter deed (server map) that had a building/mine area that basically made you walk through it to the end. It was up to you if you wanted to take the time to learn everything, but most in-game items were there to look at. High Ql signs were planted at each area explaining what things were, how to make and use them. When you finally exited the building, there were more buildings, each dedicated to a different craft. They even had materials spawned in the storage that you could use to skill up, and planted tools such as looms, etc. When you explored the inn (I think?) there was a room upstairs and if you were nosey enough to open the chest near the bed, a good Ql mallet would be spawned just for you to take with you. There was an archery area with arrows and bows for your use, an alchemy station with dye-making materials for you to play with. There were trees to chop, dirt to dig, animals you could take with you. Also, example wagons/banners/flags and such to look at but not take. It was really well thought out.

Perhaps that much would be overkill, but had I been a new player, I would have either never left that place (either because it was a perfect place to live or because I was overwhelmed), or I would have stepped through the portal to my choice of map with all the knowledge I needed to both survive and prosper. 

• Like 1

i think i like the idea of skipping what you want. but also have the options to go back.  the new haven tutorial , if there was an option to lets say teleport back in after entering the game leave like tutorial portals at starter towns. where it can pull you back in , but you gain zero skills there and can not take anything.  just test out thing. after you try the game a bit. head back in with stone chisel and sickle for example and  head to a more advanced part and learn how to make bricks and pick sprout and plant them .

watching new players stream the game we can see we need better.  Katspurr  did a stream of the current tutorial and oh man.... lol  she could see how many new players could get stuck on the first lesson climb , not knowing how to turn if back off or the need to turn it back off. Same thing with the next step dig dirt. and then wonder why they are moving so slow to the next part , loaded with dirt.  that weight part should be explained right there.  drop dirt to pile or ground option.  and the empty fighting tutorial for how many years... take it out make the area shorter, so it's quicker. most players hate long tutorials.  it's best to have short run 5-10 min max.  and then have the tutorial continue in the game  as the play it.  like pop up pictures with easy text short winded vs long.  when they first do the action.  like dropping an item the theft thing that pops up .  but maybe not center screen. 

i still love the idea of a book in the inventory vs the wiki. as the wiki can be overwhelming at first.  i use the wiki a ton and still do. but a book with just a few pics and short txt on how to, that one can just reference as they play. 

these ideas are not ment to make my game play better.  it's just to possibly help retention of the new player , who may quit before ending the tutorial as they get stuck.  or quit soon after as they did not learn enough.

one thing I'd like to bring from wurm unlimited. was the new player starting chat window.  the one where the owners of the servers would toss in info on the server, but also references to helpful guides, new player help suggestions.  where the dev's could choose wiki links to add there. like these.

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Basic_Knowledge

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Player_Made_Guides

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Your_first_days_in_Wurm_Online

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Guides:Wurmians_starter_guide

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Guides:What_Do_I_Do

might be nice to combined the guides a bit  if we can get ahold of the original authors.    but having these types of links post in the newplayer chat . along with instructions of each chat, CAchat for game help, freedom for server help and chatting. trade chat basics. 

i wish i was able to record these new players stream to post here so we could watch them and comment on what would have helped them. but i would never want to risk embarrassing anyone in case they felt that way.  but i'd love it if the community would try to watch these new folks play in free time or while playing wurm. and help gather this info for the devs. I pray the Devs don't rush it. and even better put it in test server to gain input from the player base.  before releasing it.

I maybe repeating things here.  a bit played out. wurm and a new kitten with my dog lol 

The idea of taking a portal from a starter town back to Haven is brilliant. I remember being new and coming up against a problem and not knowing what to do and thinking "Was that in the tutorial? Did I miss it?"

Conditions would have to be added to ensure that the portal returned them only to where they came from, to prevent Haven becoming a central travel hub.

There is one omission from the current tutorial and that is crafting. I remember leaving the tutorial with no great motivation to open the journal. I think it was quite a while before I did. If between chopping and mining new players were walked through making their first mallet with the tree they just chopped down that would be a good introduction to crafting and imping and when complete they could then be told about the journal and see that their first journal  item "Make a mallet" is marked complete - accomplishment! When on their own they will then want to do more journal items... 

Edited by Manachan
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Manachan said:

The idea of taking a portal from a starter town back to Haven is brilliant. I remember being new and coming up against a problem and not knowing what to do and thinking "Was that in the tutorial? Did I miss it?"

Conditions would have to be added to ensure that the portal returned them only to where they came from, to prevent Haven becoming a central travel hub.

There is one omission from the current tutorial and that is crafting. I remember leaving the tutorial with no great motivation to open the journal. I think it was quite a while before I did. If between chopping and mining new players were walked through making their first mallet with the tree they just chopped down that would be a good introduction to crafting and when complete they could then be told about the journal and see that their first journal  item "Make a mallet" is marked complete - accomplishment! When on their own they will then want to do more journal items... 

yes conditions for portal is no trade, no skill gain and can not take items gathered or made back with you.  and yes port back to where you entered portal. so not used to jump around. the skill gaining was part of why the GV server was so clogged . everyone was trying to gain dig. mining, woodcutting. skill before leaving . . 

lol watching one of my fave everquest players. trying wurm on stream youtube nathan napalm .  and he too got stuck slow movement after digging.  didn't know he needed to drop the dirt.... please  can we not start fixing the basic tutorial now.  it's embarrassing .lol  they  had issues mining as they equipped  the pickaxe as a weapon  vs activated it.  .  i love seeing new players play.  we can learn a lot of the few. i say few flaws of our game. I can't say bad things  I love this game.  and just hit over 11,000 hours yesterday. 

they have wounds and have no idea most heal on there own. or they could forage for cotton and heal.  they killed a champ bear with guard help. so at least they saw they can call guards.  but then they open for loot. lol  they dont know they need to butcher it to get meat ect.  

I wonder if wurm should just have a quick tutorial video upon logging in.  or at the very least in the confirm email to them . links to wiki guides and a youtube how to play guide.

the Nathan NAPALM

Edited by validate

4 hours ago, validate said:

didn't know he needed to drop the dirt

While I agree that we need a better tutorial (and I know it is on the devs' to-do list, so no need to demand it over and over again), let's be fair: most of that basic stuff is mentioned several times in the current tutorial! Like, for instance, moving slowly because you carry too much weight; the info is in the tutorial window as well as in the signs at the exit of the digging area. The problem is that many new players don't seem to be able or willing to read! 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yaga said:

While I agree that we need a better tutorial (and I know it is on the devs' to-do list, so no need to demand it over and over again), let's be fair: most of that basic stuff is mentioned several times in the current tutorial! Like, for instance, moving slowly because you carry too much weight; the info is in the tutorial window as well as in the signs at the exit of the digging area. The problem is that many new players don't seem to be able or willing to read! 😁

that is the issue.  Katspurr tested the tutorial too. and found that same issue. these basic instructions need to be in our face . many parts can be skipped but some parts should be forced.   and i know they are working on a new one. but they did that a few years ago too. and it did help a little. but not enough.. the devs work hard i believe in them. but at the same time they don't always ask for feedback. and then need to redo things or fix thing again and again. , lately the fix things pretty fast now i like that . but for a few years they did not.  

when it comes to this tutorial  we need it to become the best thing about the game as it's the first impression. retention is needed. if folks keep having issues and rush though then quit minutes/ hours or days away we failed.    I'm in no way trying to be negative or put down the devs. I just want to gather info  in hopes they see it and maybe take advice from the player base into the new tutorial.   I have passion about this game. and it kills me seeing streams where new players struggle so much and put our game down because of these issues.    

your part of them not willing to read is the main issue i hate reading too and most likely skipped parts myself.  this is where a huge pop up with pics would help. just for the major parts.  the really old tutorial i sware had pics or something that showed more. and it forced us to make a mallet if i recall. 2010 ish .  

24 minutes ago, validate said:

if folks keep having issues and rush though then quit minutes/ hours or days away we failed.

I tend to disagree with that. If people are not patient enough to read a few lines of text, then they're most likely not going to be patient enough to enjoy the game. This is not some fast-twitch, instant gratification game like the other 18 million games out there. It takes time and a lot of patience to achieve anything in this game, and I don't believe there's any way to adequately prepare new players for that. Could the tutorial be better? Absolutely. Can any tutorial that's under an hour long adequately prepare someone for the endless ways to play, the 120+ skills to improve, or the way that most skills depend on other skills to successfully grind? No, I don't believe so. Can you adequately prepare someone who's played other games where everything is directed (i.e. you must go here to do this in order to advance to the next section, etc.) for the completely freeform, no one telling you what to do next, world of Wurm? Again, I don't believe so.

Wurm is a Sandbox of Discovery, that's our official motto isn't it? I think we can hold the new player's hands a bit more than our current tutorial does, but even just covering the basics thoroughly is going to be a challenge.

For instance: Fighting. You have to equip your armour and weapon, plus a shield if you're using one. That's covered in the tutorial. Then there'd need to be a section covering targeting the mob you want to fight, plus an explanation of the fact that if you got targeted by a mob previously and ran, that mob is still targeted 15 minutes later and even though the current mob is in front of you and hitting you, you may not be targeting that mob because of the previous target. Then the explanation that being higher than the mob helps, as does being the right distance away, plus a discussion about the advantages of each style of fighting. Then an explanation of the different strengths of the mobs, how fast they are, how long they pursue, etc. Then the chilling realization that they can't ride a horse until they reach 23 Body Strength, and that the wild cow or donkey they can ride may not be fast enough to escape from the mob, especially if they're going uphill - which would lead them to the section about gaining characteristics. Then there'd have to be a section on guard towers and how to properly use those (i.e. be within range when calling for help, and keep running from the mob until they stop and engage the guards because the mob will keep attacking you if you stop as soon as the guards respond that they're on the way).  That's not even covering the various ways to skill up fighting with dummies (and good luck writing about how you have to run into the next room to stop hitting the dummy or else it just poofs) or through killing pigs and horses and cows and then on to the least dangerous mobs.

And what do we have after just covering the most basic aspects of fighting? A wall of text. Which leads me back to the point that if they're not willing to read the few lines of text that are already in the tutorial, how are we going to expect them to read a more in-depth tutorial? And if we're going to convert some or all of the tutorial to video or pics, that'd be a lot of pop-ups to get thru in order to get the very basics of the game down. I know some people hate reading, but I hate pop-ups more. I'd rather pause and go offline and read a well-written tutorial to get a better understanding of whatever issue I'm facing than have multiple pop-ups with very limited information on each pop-up.

Everybody learns things differently, that's just a fact of life. So, maybe we have to have multiple avenues to get the info to people. Text with limited photos, photos with limited text, and video. But then who's going to do all of that work? Are we as veterans of Wurm willing to let the devs focus almost exclusively on the tutorial for a year while all other development grinds to a halt? Or will there be a huge clamor from most vets to make this change or that addition to the game and to hell with the newbs? It's a dilemma and I'm not sure what the right course is.

• Like 1

Biggest problem with the tutorial is you are spawned into a noob account and told to these things as a noob. For most of your beginning of the game you (or atleast I didn't) realize it gets better. There should have been a section giving you high ql high enchanted tools explaining how timers get faster with better skill etc etc. For the first couple years of the game I used unenchanted 50ql tool set (Sold my referral for a starter pack)

• Like 1

DaletheGood

I agree with you a lot.  and i liker the idea of having different options .   i think even  ending the tutorial with a pop up of links. for options to look at while playing the game.  mainly the ingame wiki .   i use it every few days myself . but yes many types of players. and I can agree the ones who maybe just speed through won't last long anyways. some also speed through just to get to their friends deed from an out of game invite. i bet too. but they at least have folks to ask after.  

LOL  I love to see a prima type guide.  i'd buy a few hundred page hard cover game guide to wurm lol  i miss using those back in the day.

I'm sure they will come up with something. just hoping they see the options before them .

Edited by validate
  • Like 1

I have not done the tutorial in some time however, I really wish cooking, nutrition and the sub nutrients were explained, and I'll be honest here i would much prefer if new players started with 10+ skill in hot food cooking so they could immediately be in a position to feed themselves. I've seen so many players have major issues once their 24 hours newbie timer runs out trying to feed themselves it stops being fun, even old returning players from before cooking went insane have trouble it should definitely be a high quality tutorial. Frankly on top of this some of the tools needed to really feed yourself are out of reach unless you have marble. It's poorly thought out and needs a good fix.