Sign in to follow this  
Aeryck

Why are we closing WTA or WTS topics?

Why do people ask that their WTA or WTS post be closed, and more importantly, why do we delete the original title? It's very helpful to be able to search old posts to get price checks. Is there some advanced Trade PVP tactic that I am not aware of? Is the information truly private? Are we protecting the buyers identity?

NoO5aOD.png

If there is a good reason, then please enlighten me. Otherwise, can I ask, for the good of the community, that we leave useful information intact in closed sales topics?

If we do need to close, please leave the subject intact. But why even make the forum mods do extra work in closing the post?

MtIRhCg.png

This is just my opinion, but I think keeping sales information transparent helps an informed public make equitable decisions for both parties, which improves the health of the community.

**Edited to hide the identities of my examples, lest some think this is casting shame. These were just the first examples chronologically, I personally love every person who made these posts, and have both bought from and sold to them.**

Edited by Aeryck
  • Like 14

I would imagine that people note they want it closed so that others know that the item has been sold or is otherwise no longer available. Though they can always post a reply asking for the thread to be closed without removing the original contents if they wish.

i always add (closed) at the end of the title, that way it doesnt screw up searches.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, fencejumper said:

I would imagine that people note they want it closed so that others know that the item has been sold or is otherwise no longer available. Though they can always post a reply asking for the thread to be closed without removing the original contents if they wish.

That makes sense I suppose. Why not "Ended" or "Sold" though? Why need to lock the post? I suppose there is no good reason to ever post in the topic again, just seems like extra work to let something die.

I just add [    ] and make sure to leave tags incase i need to find that item later to keep track of prices. There is no point to keeping them for some random necroing

Closing is ok, cuz it happens that someone necroes me with offer on post over a year old i forgot to close.

But yeah for the love of god, stop deleting original title and price, that sort of information is very useful for tracking price checks, would like to know why people do it. Why do you delete what is sold, at what price and who bought it, can't wrap my head around it

• Like 6

4 hours ago, kochinac said:

But yeah for the love of god, stop deleting original title and price, that sort of information is very useful for tracking price checks, would like to know why people do it. Why do you delete what is sold, at what price and who bought it, can't wrap my head around it

My best guess to this is that players are not happy with the outcome of an auction. Either it went under the current market value, or they just expected it to be more. I can't say for sure, but that's my best guess. I agree with locking a thread after it's completed though. It prevents necroing, and you can always just pm the seller or buyer if you have any questions. 

It's a defunct, buried custom called netiquette: it had the purpose of letting people know that post has exhausted its intended purpose, tho it may be of value in future so they call a close on answers but leave the post there to be useful to other purposes.

• Like 1

I always  put *CLOSED* in front of the original title, leaving the entire original title and post intact. I agree, it helps when you are searching for pricing.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 11:41 AM, Tpikol said:

i always add (closed) at the end of the title, that way it doesnt screw up searches.

Yup. Same here.