Sign in to follow this  
Arkonick

VR suggestion

I know there was talk about VR in the back ground have you'll looked into VorpX?  If you have a set up I'd be willing to do some testing. I'm not interested in controllers just head view. I have a Vive and this is something I'd love to see come to Wurm the ability to just be able to see in first person view VR.

Im pretty sure that VR isn't going to happen as it's not been mentioned in any of the recent Roadmaps. It just won't work with Wurm like everyone thought it would. It's kinda like they pitched it and then dropped it off without saying anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BattleWall said:

It's kinda like they pitched it and then dropped it off without saying anything.

One can only hope that it's dead.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Arkonick said:

I know there was talk about VR in the back ground have you'll looked into VorpX?  If you have a set up I'd be willing to do some testing. I'm not interested in controllers just head view. I have a Vive and this is something I'd love to see come to Wurm the ability to just be able to see in first person view VR.

VR really isn't a good fit for MMO's in general, and would require an almost total overhaul in Wurm.

First, you would have to be able to move via controller, which Wurm doesn't support, and would be pretty wonky in Wurm anyway.

Second, How do you imagine chat working?  Taking off your rig every time you want to chat doesn't work.  some sort of VoIP would massively increase bandwidth requirements.  And I can only imagine the horror of a virtual keyboard.

Third, Wurm is not 3d.  It's a 2d world with some clever tricks

Fourth, Wurm in VR?  I'll admit it would be cool to go exploring or hunting in VR, but everything else?  oh boy, now I can watch timers in 3d!!

Fifth, I really believe that the circles of a Venn diagram of people who would potentially be interested in Wurm, and people who use VR has very little overlap.  So even if all the previous issues were resolved, Wurm wouldn't get much out of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BattleWall said:

Im pretty sure that VR isn't going to happen as it's not been mentioned in any of the recent Roadmaps. It just won't work with Wurm like everyone thought it would. It's kinda like they pitched it and then dropped it off without saying anything.

VR was never canceled in official post, last news about it were - "we're getting VR and it wont affect other development."

Last road map have nothing but small changes(suggestion content) and QoL which is not even listed, so not much planned, main development could be into VR atm, who knows...

1 hour ago, Sinnjinn said:

VR really isn't a good fit for MMO's in general, and would require an almost total overhaul in Wurm.

First, you would have to be able to move via controller, which Wurm doesn't support, and would be pretty wonky in Wurm anyway.

Second, How do you imagine chat working?  Taking off your rig every time you want to chat doesn't work.  some sort of VoIP would massively increase bandwidth requirements.  And I can only imagine the horror of a virtual keyboard.

Third, Wurm is not 3d.  It's a 2d world with some clever tricks

Fourth, Wurm in VR?  I'll admit it would be cool to go exploring or hunting in VR, but everything else?  oh boy, now I can watch timers in 3d!!

Fifth, I really believe that the circles of a Venn diagram of people who would potentially be interested in Wurm, and people who use VR has very little overlap.  So even if all the previous issues were resolved, Wurm wouldn't get much out of it.

I honestly imagined it'd be more like a rich deedplanner experience. Not building or placing things down, just to make that clear.

More like, export a Deed VR file and you can go around your deed like you would in the normal game, but you can interact with objects and items. Something like that would be a lot easier and more viable than having the full game but played in VR.

Wurm can work fine with just head view using VorpX that's why I mentioned it. I'm curious if they looked into VorpX. And you don't need all that retarded hand control crap all wurm needs is the face VR and thats all I would ever use it for.

If Wurm is not already Virtual Reality for you, I would humbly suggest that you perhaps consider the possibility that just maybe...

Spoiler

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG! 

😉

Edited by TheTrickster

Imho the main issue with Wurm VR is its alot of work for a very small number of Wurm's players. Makes for a great corporate news release to create investor buzz, along with the rising trend of VR. However, Its just not general enough usage yet.

Second issue is, as mentioned already, the interface. Very keyboard and mouse intensive, and would require a massive redesign for a VR motion control environment. The last GUI "overhaul" took years, and it's practically the same thing. Granted we got a "repeat last action" keybind. Let alone communicating... Hell even most of the devs and staff communicate via IRC-style chat systems still.

Speaking of keybinds and GUIs, even reducing the number of keys a player uses requires a fair bit of technical knowledge from the player. This with a playerbase where many struggle with even getting the game to launch smoothly.

Granted as with the existence of quickswitch keybinds (love that exec client command), a sufficiently knowledgeable player could cobble some hacky setup together to make VR semi viable.

Sadly in general VR Wurm is very much a pipedream imho, especially when its not even on the official public roadmap.

Dont get me wrong. I would love to see more VR, let alone wishing to see so-called full dive/sensory VR someday.

Edited by Karrde