Hamtad

Hey Hamtad! What is a Wurm?

November 24th 2023 Edit:
So much has changed since I first posted here on The Showtime Theater! And now with the official unveiling of the Wurm Online "content creator partner program" and my inclusion as its first official member I feel like I should edit this initial post as it's likely what most people will see first.

In this thread I post Wurm Online related videos from my YouTube Channel ( https://www.youtube.com/@hamtad_tv ) which are largely excerpts and edited clips from my streams on Twitch ( www.twitch.tv/hamtad ) I don't end up posting everything here though so be sure to check out my channels directly too!

And I know we are all sick of hearing it constantly...But if you would please do me a favor and take the time to subscribe to my Youtube channel and Follow me on Twitch (or perhaps even like/comment on my videos if you're feeling crazy) I would greatly appreciate it! The almighty algorithm demands this sacrifice! I hope to see you soon!

Edited by Hamtad
  • Like 8

This was a funny video, love your sense of humour. You should get on the Wurm Discord and post when you go live so we don't miss your future streams!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anglomango said:

Nice video! hope to see more in the future! :D

Thank you! I appreciate you just watching let alone taking the time to comment : ) 

8 hours ago, Docterchese said:

This was a funny video, love your sense of humour. You should get on the Wurm Discord and post when you go live so we don't miss your future streams!

And to you as well, thanks for the feedback! I love your idea of joining the Wurm Discord. Are you referring just to the main official Wurm Discord or perhaps a different one I don't know about?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hamtad said:

And to you as well, thanks for the feedback! I love your idea of joining the Wurm Discord. Are you referring just to the main official Wurm Discord or perhaps a different one I don't know about?

The main one. There are content creator channels that you could post in when you go live so more people hear about it 😃

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Docterchese said:

The main one. There are content creator channels that you could post in when you go live so more people hear about it 😃

I joined up. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

After many needless (and self-induced) delays, the 2023 Better Wurms and Gardens Fall Event Video Catalog is finally here!

A video gallery of in-game footage of all the fall event items (as of 2023) 

A bit of a drier video (more for educational purposes I suppose?) but I tried to add some of my signature Hamtad whimsy to the material. Hopefully this video proves to be a valuable resource for Wurmians for generations to come!

We streamed the Harmony Red Drake public slaying (November 3, 2023) and had such a great time I edited together a highlight reel for posterities sake so our great Wurm grandchildren can see how real Wurmians did it back in the good old days.

If you're reading this future baby Hamtad, I'm probably proud of you.

Come play Where's Wurm Waldo and see if you spot anyone you know (or maybe yourself even!) Without further ado I give you, Wurm Online: How To Maim Your Dragon

• Like 1

Hello everyone! 

I probably should have introduced myself to anyone who might not be familiar with me earlier in the day when this post first went up, but I unfortunately ran out of time this morning and then was occupied all afternoon streaming on Twitch as this is my usually scheduled time to do so.

Towards the end of my stream today it was brought to my attention that some members of our Wurm community had found my most recent Wurm online YouTube short to be offensive, unprofessional and reflecting poorly on Wurm Online as a whole. Regardless of my personal feelings or whether some might have been fine with the video, ultimately, I feel that doesn't matter and I would prefer to side with the offended party (100% of the time and with sincerity) and have already taken the video down! I am terribly sorry for upsetting anyone with the video!

I tried my best to express myself thoroughly while streaming today when the issue came up but ultimately, I would like to take the time to give my response to this the time and attention it needs and deserves. So, I'm going to try to leave things briefer here for the time being, but I absolutely didn't want to just say nothing while emotions are at their highest.

If I were to just summarize the core of my heartfelt gut response to the situation it would be this: Anyone that was upset or offended by my video, you have my deepest apologies. My only intention in any content I make is only ever an attempt to entertain and make people laugh, so I am mortified to hear that I may have upset anyone, let alone members of a community I have been a part of for over a decade and care deeply about. I will do my utmost to do better from this moment on and am also sorry to the staff at Wurm for casting a shadow on what should have been an otherwise exciting time for the community to come together and celebrate a new approach to trying to share this game that we all love with others.

I do not feel that my text here is sufficient enough and wish I knew a better way to articulate just how sincerely I mean what I am typing here and how serious I am about the current situation and ensuring I do not make a mistake like this again in the future. 

I will try to put together a more substantial and meaningful response to this issue this weekend. I will leave it here for now, but again, to anyone that was hurt or upset by anything I have done, said or created you have my heartfelt apologies and I hope you will give me the opportunity to engage with you further in the future and prove to you the sincerity and truthfulness of my words here.

Edited by Hamtad
  • Like 4

I would like to suggest that before you return to give a more in depth treatment to the issues raised by your multiple joking references to Nazi atrocities, death camps, and ideological insanity, that you take a moment to imagine not just that some people "might" have been offended, but also why they might have been offended.  Then perhaps taking it one step further and asking why it seems like a safe subject for humor to you, but, to your surprise, not to everyone.  I can accept that you didn't mean to hurt anyone, but having clearly done so, I believe this it is incumbent on you to learn how, not "if" you have offended, so that any apology you make is actually sincere, and not an attempt to slough off negative reactions.  Please take a little time to learn what Nazi eugenics really encompassed, how it was applied, who it hurt, and how scary it is today to very many different kinds of people to watch the Neo-Nazi resurgence that has been going on for the last decade or two, and realize that those things that should never have happened, and certainly should never happen again, are being openly discussed and considered at the highest levels of politics in the world today.

Without malice, but only concern and the desire to help,

Borolf.

• Like 19

I've been watching the two video's you linked to on the Wurm discord.

The second one for 54 seconds; because I had enough of seeing / hearing the same "joke" for over 30 seconds, the first one for 26 seconds.

I dunno what kind of audience you're aiming at, but if it's kindergarten or ground school age, you got the right group in mind.

You're an official representive of the Wurm game on several channels, but if I had to decide whether or not I'd play this game based upon your video's; it'll be a big no.

I dunno how you got this job, but you may take a look at the streams / video's of those who've been streaming Wurm for years. And learn.

Edit:

Regarding that now removed video:

The most used expression in 1945 was "Ich habe es nicht gewußt".
Seeing something similar in your post here makes me sick.

Edited by Thorinoakshield
  • Like 3

I was asked in the stream by Hamtad what in particular caused "offence" to me. After a couple of messages replying to some other folks, it became clear that unfortunately chat wanted to villify those who questioned the video. When you (hamtad) started to play off that, it snowballs and communication isn't worthwhile any more. I left for a bit, returned to see how things were going, and just left it after a couple of messages about other things. I wanted to give the topic and situation a bit of room to breathe, I didn't want to see the situation looked at the lens of brigading. I also wanted to take some time away to cool down myself, after a rather full throttle post that was removed in the VI thread. I want to answer the question you asked, and build off what @Borolf said in a rather fantastic post.

I want to start by just saying, my outrage post in the VI thread isn't fuelled by being offended. You and the chatters can put that out of your mind, the kind of offence you're thinking of isn't what the situation is.

My anger stemmed from the fact I've posted many times, messaged many people, and drummed up support for over a year at least for a revival of VEN. You yourself know about MEN, a thread I made with a list of the current Wurm streamers and content creators to give them visibility in place of a dead system. A VEN replacement finally comes, and we get its first face, which is you!

The first thing picked up by the community at large, is that video. You can see where this is going by now, probably.

You are a face of Wurm now. You took the role, and to anyone who doubts for a moment that Hamtad is a face of Wurm, should probably remember that very very recently they were given access to the Wurm Twitter account in order to stream to it, which was officially backed and supported from the main staff team. The community will have standards for what is put out, and while nobody has a right to police you and tell you what you should be uploading, generally you should probably avoid things that could be used by people to paint a bad image of the game.

What you'll see as one of the more common points between people who have an issue with the video, is also the fact they're not common viewers of the stream, if they even watch at all. When you remove the context of what you were saying, like the video mostly stripped away, and mix in the fact that the majority of players don't watch live streams, the problem swells. They don't know you, your humour, and to people on the outside looking in, including potential new players, it paints a terrible image.

You're a good streamer, your setup is high quality, you're entertaining and you do the streams well. Stop playing into this idea these posts were made to make you a villain, and I am not going to be some arch nemesis of you. I personally struggle to take your apology post seriously given the tone of how you acted on stream, but I'm not going to hold it over you or use it as ammo. Keep doing what you're doing, move forward knowing you are seen as a face of the game, and what you actually upload to be seen and shared, should probably have a moment of "can this be taken poorly and does it reflect on me and/or the game poorly?"

For bonus crap that you can't control but reflects poorly...

Spoiler

Fantastic way for folks to extend the issue and make it even worse, if a fan of your content made this post, they've probably just made this entire thing look even worse

• Like 6

Worst thing you could do was issue an apology. Move on. It'll blow over. Honestly don't see a point in caring.

Censorship of comedy can not be allowed! Keep cracking jokes, funny man. Allah be with you.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay in responding. Beyond my usual family/secular responsibilities I have to tend to, I also had out of town visitors staying with me who just departed this morning, so I haven't had a sufficient opportunity to write a reply until now. Thank you for your patience!

After mentally contemplating several drafts of how I would respond, I think keeping my message shorter is the best option for accurately conveying my feelings of regret and the sincerity of my apology. Truly, I am deeply sorry for my actions and will strive to do my best to ensure I continue to grow, learn and not let this happen again in the future. Many of the replies above me illustrate the error of my ways much more eloquently than I can and I thank you for your candor and taking the time to post your thoughts here.

Borolf:
I appreciate the gracious but direct approach you took in your response, and you most succinctly hit the nail on the head of helping me to identify and understand the severity of my mistake. I thank you for taking the time to help further educate me and I look forward to applying your counsel in my life as a whole.

Thorin:
While I do not wish to overly deviate the subject/focus of my post and apology here I do find your personal critique/concerns regarding my content valid I would like to address them. While I would not say I am specifically targeting kindergartners per say you are correct in your assessment of its aim to include a younger audience. In terms of the "style" on content I create for Wurm it is intentional and by design that I am making an effort to produce something that I hope will appeal not only to existing Wurm players but to a younger audience as well in an effort to reach groups that otherwise may not have heard of Wurm at all or had no interest in trying it before. I have watched a significant amount of Wurm Online content from those that came before me and think there are already terrific options in the style you are suggesting I follow suit.

I have purposefully sought to fill a different niche in this style both because it is a better natural fit to my personal style of entertaining and in an effort to try to expand the reach of Wurm into audiences different than the ones the other Wurm Online content creators are already doing such an excellent job of providing for.

Madnath:
At the time we began speaking during my stream I do not feel I was in the best condition (mentally/physically) to sufficiently give an adequate response to you. It was closing in on the 5th hour of streaming for the day which I get probably isn't that long compared to how long many other streamers might go, but for me that is close to exceeding my limit and I am completely exhausted by that point.  Coupled with that, I already had a splitting headache that I was trying to push through the entire day. I say these points not to excuse my actions or behavior but merely to contextualize the fact I was in a highly diminished state physically and mentally, and while I really was trying my best to fully address you given the seriousness of the situation and subject matter, I was not in a position to provide a sufficient response. That said, I truly apologize to you for how things transpired!

If you felt vilified by the responses of other viewers at the time or that I myself was encouraging it, I am terribly sorry! That is not behavior I would want promoted on my channel. My handling of the situation was likely clumsy as juggling the multitasking of playing a game, narrating whatever is going on and simultaneously addressing and conversing with chat is admittedly not my strongest skill. So, I recognize how easily I likely mishandled the situation given my physical state at the time paired with the complications of trying to speak to such an important issue while actively engaged in what the current circumstances were. On top of all these elements I was also streaming Old School Runescape, so while I don't know exactly who all was watching, some very well may have been individuals that have never heard of Wurm Online or had any idea what we're discussing and were just saying things for the sake of saying things because it's the internet. All in all, it wasn't great circumstances for a discussion of this magnitude to be held and I apologize for how events played out.

But to everyone, just to summarize my post as I do have a tendency to be long winded, I truly am sorry for my actions and my heartfelt desire is to learn from this situation and apply the counsel that everyone has offered me.

I have tried pouring over my text here repeatedly before hitting submit but recognize despite my best efforts, there could easily still be typos, errors or things I missed/neglected. If that is the case, please forgive me and your continued patience is greatly appreciated.

• Like 4

I waited a while to comment (and debated if I would) because I wanted to ensure I could be clear with my concerns about your stream, and at the end of the day, I had to speak up. As a streamer, heck as a reasonable person, you should understand that some of your commentary and jokes went beyond poor taste or not landing well.

In one of your streams there was a portion, since removed, that there was a rat with multiple bruises which you were commenting about. The casual joke you made about domestic violence makes me wonder if you either find it acceptable, or that you simply don't care. Women play video games. Women play Wurm Online. And women watch streams. And on average 1 in 3 women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime. According to the UN briefing for the year 2020 there were 47,000 women and girls that were killed by partners or family members. Domestic violence is not and never should be a joke.

Even without being a representative for Wurm Online as an official streamer in any capacity, this joke wasn't funny.  Consider what you're saying online. I'm sure you can be humorous and engage your audience without being offensive.

Please do better.

• Like 9

well. good job everyone. you effectively bullied a dude off the internet. his channel is blank and all the videos are private.

guess he deserved it because of some tasteless jokes?

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

4 hours ago, garforl said:

well. good job everyone. you effectively bullied a dude off the internet. his channel is blank and all the videos are private.

Holding someone accountable and voicing concerns about content that they post is not bullying. No post I have seen has yet to be disrespectful to him, or to be in poor taste. He self admits in his several different apology posts that what he did was wrong and he was sorry. His choice to remove his content is on him and him alone. At the end of the day I do not think this was all that big of an issue for him moving forward. I do think he should have stepped away from being a partner with Wurm, but this was not something that could not be learned from and moved on from.

• Like 2

Tasteless?

A small history lesson:

Between 1936 and 1945 the Nazi's had innitiated programs to keep the genepool pure, thus making it possible to create a human being which was superiour to all the other races; something they called the "Übermensch".

To do that, they rounded up and sterialized each and every human being that didn't match their image of the ideal human. Which were:

• Anyone having ancestors of a different race; up to your great-great-grandparents; wasn't considered "pure".
  • Anyone not being hetro-sexual wasn't considered "pure".
  • Anyone having Down Syndrome wasn't considered "pure".
  • Anyone being handicaped by birth wasn't considered "pure".
  • Anyone having mental problems and being in an asylum wasn't considered "pure".

All those people were rounded up and send to prisons first; where they were made sterile to make sure they didn't reproduce. Later they were send to concentration camps, where they had to work to death.

The "jokes" made by Hamtad are the same thing lots of our grandparents have been fighting and dying against during WWII. Thàt's why it's upsetting people. Because aparently for some people it's fun to "joke" about something that's been an life and death issue 78-87 for a large part of our global population.

There also was a second part of that whole "process" going on in Germany. That part, using the name 'Lebensbronn' or "source of life" was set up to have any "pure" German woman mating with any "pure" German man to produce as many children as possible. For two reasons.

1) to get as many children as possible, making it easier to repopulate the nation - and later the conquered lands in Eastern Europe - and

2) to make sure there were enough soldiers to protect the nation.

That program went as far as to abduct children with all the right genetic traits from families who didn't have those traits. Those children were placed in families which were "true" believers of the Nazi idiology.

As a result, there are still hundred of thousands 80+ y/o Germans who have no idea who their biological parents are.

So I think "tasteless" doesn't cover the load.
Disgusting comes closer to it.

Thorin

• Like 2

If you think any of this amounts to bullying you've lead a blissfully ignorant life so far.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Army said:

As announced here last friday, we launched a partner program with Hamtad as its first member.

Things took a bad turn shortly after, sadly, leaving us no other choice but to remove Hamtad from his role, as we can't let him represent Wurm that way.

It's sad that the program started with an incident like this, but we also learned some important lessons from it and adjusted our internal procedures so something similar won't happen again.

Per Army's post in the new Valrei International, Hamtad has been let go. With this in mind the thread will be locked. As Army stated, this is not something that represents Wurm Online. The Wurm Team will do everything in its power to prevent this from happening again.

• Like 1