Sign in to follow this  
MarquisDeCarabas

New player firemaking without starter gear

Upon starting a new 'naked' char I noticed (again) that making a fire is a bit too hard without the starter gear.

The main problem are wood scraps, as you can get them only from chopping down shriveled fruit trees or very young timer trees.

Shriveled fruit trees may be hard to come by if you are located in an area without any and finding very young timber trees is really painful, as they are not really abundant and it is not possible to distinguish by looking at them whether they will drop wood scraps or a log.

I would therefore suggest to introduce making wood scraps/shavings from branches with the crude knife as well, as branches can be farmed pretty reliably from tree tiles.

Another solution could be the introduction of a 'crude flint' tool made from flint and rock to start a fire with just kindling.

To distinguish it from the already available 'steel & flint' tool, this crude tool would be worn down upon any use.

Edited by MarquisDeCarabas

You should be able to make kindling with the crude knife. Maybe my memory fails me, but if branches are 2kg then you should get a 1.5kg kindling and 0.5kg wood scrap from this process. I forgot how you make a fire with that but the process should be significantly streamlined. 

Yes, you can make kindling from branches with a crude knife, but you cannot get any wood scraps besides chopping down said trees.

This is the reason why I suggested it.

3 minutes ago, MarquisDeCarabas said:

Yes, you can make kindling from branches with a crude knife, but you cannot get any wood scraps besides chopping down said trees.

This is the reason why I suggested it.

So the recipe is kindling and wood scrap to make a fire? Should be branch and kindling or stone and kindling imo. Whatever could plausibly make some sparks.

If you make the kindling, are you left with a 0.5kg branch? Should turn the rest to wood scraps.

Edited by Ols