Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

Defiance PMKS March 7th

I'm more in favor of incentivizing settling on the mainland as opposed to nerfing living on starter island. 

Still brainstorming ideas, but basically making the transition smoother is important.  Perhaps there is a temporary CR buff to a newly founded deed that falls off over time. Perhaps it is temporary lower action timers to make it easier to build up fortifications to allow it a better chance to stand up to the onslaught of sieges that will likely occur. Part of the challenge of course is balancing these kinds of mechanics in such a way that they help newer factions establish a foothold, while mitigating the possibility of abuse by people that don't fall in this category.

Also, I'd love to see more incentives for having a foothold on the mainland. There is considerable risk living on the mainland, and while there is some reward such as being closer to hunting spots/hota, there could be definitely more.  Perhaps holy sites will help in this regard if they are useful/long lasting enough to warrant deeding nearby.

There is also considerable risk roaming the mainland. Some have mentioned that making it easier to gear up could be useful. I'm not very far along as a craftsman so I can't speak much to that, but from other pvp games experience, I find myself taking more risks and roaming more if it isn't too hard/take too long to get reasonably regeared.

As for rarer gear, what if uniques spawned more often, had a beam over them like rifts, and had a twitter announcement when they spawn? And perhaps they only spawn on the mainland. I'm thinking like once every couple days, or maybe once a week. I think their rarity on freedom side makes more sense, but I think they could be a powerful incentive defiance side to encourage group fights. I played darkfall back in 2009/2010 and when the dragon spawned there were lots of groups fighting over it.

Also, I like rifts, but it seems many people don't do them because they either have a ton of rift mats, or don't want to risk it because it updates the mission progress so people know it is being done. What if the basic enemies from rifts had a chance to drop moon metals? That way you could fight through a rift and retreat if things got hectic and still have a chance at something instead of the winner takes all current approach. It could also make moon metal gear a bit easier to come by , but only if you were willing to risk fighting the rift.

22 minutes ago, Melros said:

The 30% of JK that don't can 1v4 easily the average BL or MR accounts

This also implies months of spending your 2 hrs of gaming time a day mining in a cave or just digging. How boring. If that's what it takes for someone to be playable no one, once again, will ever join.

The advantages you cite are obviously not enough. And for folks to suggest that the game needs to get harder for the people who are months/years behind to incite pvp is....

boring for you yes, for others maybe not? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DADLER said:

boring for you yes, for others maybe not? 

If we look at player graphs we might deduce...

Edited by Melros

Just now, Melros said:

If we look at player graphs we might deduce...

Wurm is waiting

• Like 1

Just now, DADLER said:

Wurm is waiting

we are waiting

So where is this large group of strong PvPers on starter? No takers to argue the point?

Can't be the group of BL that couldn't kill a single JK sitting on BL hops, even shaker orbed one got away. When JK raided and drained the main BL starter deed twice and lost no one. 

Where is this large group that's a problem??    Someone is telling tall stories?

Edited by Omar
  • Like 2

For those that didn't know - BL COULD NOT KILL ONE JK SITTING ON THEIR MINE AND GATE HOPS OVER 2 RAIDS - if you know the game you know what this means.

Give names of this large group of "good players on starter" or any group or individual that's a problem or stfu. You are either ignorant or lying.

I rest my case your honor :D 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Omar said:

For those that didn't know - BL COULD NOT KILL ONE JK SITTING ON THEIR MINE AND GATE HOPS OVER 2 RAIDS - if you know the game you know what this means.

Give names of this large group of "good players on starter" or any group or individual that's a problem or stfu. You are either ignorant or lying.

I rest my case your honor :D 

not a single person said any of you were good or remotely close to it, I think you've missed the point probably and thats okay

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

2 hours ago, Melros said:

This also implies months of spending your 2 hrs of gaming time a day mining in a cave or just digging. How boring. If that's what it takes for someone to be playable no one, once again, will ever join.

This is my favorite part to be honest. Put on a show, grab a drink, dull a pickaxe for a few hours. Gain those sweet sweet body stats. Love it so much I even started doing it on my priest alt.

Edited by Rockmodd
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

not a single person said any of you were good or remotely close to it, I think you've missed the point probably and thats okay

Sweetserenade: 
"They should not be a permanent base of operations for strong competant players"
"Was that the small group of 15-20 players you had in HotS?"

Karlfranz:
"It's sadly turned a large group of players into groups of self proclaimed newbs even though they've been around for years."

Ignorance or lying? hmm or repeating what an ignorant or liar is telling them?

Just now, Omar said:

Sweetserenade: 
"They should not be a permanent base of operations for strong competant players"
"Was that the small group of 15-20 players you had in HotS?"

Karlfranz:
"It's sadly turned a large group of players into groups of self proclaimed newbs even though they've been around for years."

Ignorance or lying? hmm or repeating what an ignorant or liar is telling them?

competent is a strong word I agree

being around for 10 years doesn't qualify you as being good, you should know this better than anyone else living on that starter deed

[00:33:53] You start to mine.

See you guys in 2 years off to freedumb to get unlimited sleep powder for the grind :D

Almost forgot to post this classic again 

Edited by Anglomango
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

competent is a strong word I agree

being around for 10 years doesn't qualify you as being good, you should know this better than anyone else living on that starter deed

Ad hominem as expected.

There is no "problem" with people living on starter. It's a big lie so that JK can wipe groups out so they can't make a comeback. Pretty disgusting gameplay IMO.

Edited by Omar

5 minutes ago, Omar said:

Ad hominem as expected.

There is no "problem" with people living on starter. It's a big lie. 

Omar; you aren't that guy.

7 minutes ago, Omar said:

Ad hominem as expected.

eXlEFWo.png

• Like 5

On 2/27/2023 at 7:04 PM, Darklords said:
  • Discussion of penalties for living on the starter island, we currently offer a lot of protection for living on them but we really never added any negative sides to balance that out. Would love to see peoples suggestions on things they think would make sense here.

6 minutes ago, Omar said:

Ad hominem as expected.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rockmodd said:

This is my favorite part to be honest. Put on a show, grab a drink, dull a pickaxe for a few hours. Gain those sweet sweet body stats. Love it so much I even started doing it on my priest alt.

Tin to 30 soul strength, copper/slate/lead to 45, Silver to 60 or switch to gold at 55? then marble to 65 and Sandstone to 70? is that right? lead the way fellow dwarf!  ⛏️  ⛏️  ⛏️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anglomango said:

Tin to 30 soul strength, copper/slate/lead to 45, Silver to 60 or switch to gold at 55? then marble to 65 and Sandstone to 70? is that right? lead the way fellow dwarf!  ⛏️  ⛏️  ⛏️

marble and gold is the same

• Like 2

Just now, Anglomango said:

Sounds about right. Its basically that until lowest stat from mining, strength/stam/soul strength. Can push a bit higher at each tier if you have an abundance of one ore and a shortage of the other. Happy Mining.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Rockmodd said:

But but but have you seen the player graphs? -Unknown

Edited by DADLER

2 minutes ago, DADLER said:

Sounds like a perfect story for the Capybara News Network

Capping anything on a starter island is pointless as they can just go to mainland for ore and other stuff. Back when chaos was wild they did it for the home servers and all they did was just create a market for pvp miners to make money. So the home servers had ore anyways. If you want people to live on the mainland you have to implement reasons to live off starter and also make it so you can't just flatten a deed within a week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DADLER said:

Just thought I'd try and make some suggestions that would address the fundamental issue of this game not growing / retaining new players. Ill go back to staring at the sun now.

And b4 anyone links me the graphs from the last 2 months. Im aware of the pmk hype bringing back a handful of folks. Lets see how long thats lasts yea?

Edited by Melros
I'm stupid and type bad

The debate that's occurring in this thread is the result of some serious misunderstanding. I don't mean misunderstanding the game, or not reading what others are responding, but a full-blown misunderstanding of intention. It comes down to a simple question:

What are the starter islands for?

All the suggestions are hitting entirely different goals for the starter island. The only thing that's clear is that it's meant to discourage raiding. But what is the goal for players that are stationed there? Is it supposed to be a safe haven for building skills? For crafting items? Are they supposed to eventually leave the island and join the mainland? If so, when? Are they supposed to stay there permanently? Are they meant to be able to participate in skirmishes in the mainland?

• Like 2