Sign in to follow this  
Liandal30

Teleportation between deeds

I recently started a new deed on Xanadu and my current one is on celebration.I don't really see the harm of deed owners having a port that can take them to their deeds on different servers with limitations.If you port,you can only use the portal if you're inventory is under 14kg and you're naked,no weapon either.If you want to move stuff you still have to do it by boat.This would make it easier to maintain multiple deeds on different servers.I don't really see the harm.We have portals to epic...

• Like 1

I don't like the idea, open to so many exploits and render sailing useless. Plus this is an exploration game, it is supposed for you to go around, use vehicles to move. it's not a theme park where u can use teleports to go everywhere.

• Like 1

While I certainly understand the desire for something like this, it would render sailing almost pointless. There are some exploits I can think of, as well. For instance, If you think uniques drama is bad now, let people just pop from server to server instantly.

Rather than creating travel shortcuts, perhaps tweak the current systems? Speed up sailing significantly in some way (e.g. a short duration spell) to make long trips less unappealing.

Well how would it render sailing useless if you can only teleport to your deed with hardly anything.You would still have to sail to places especially to move stuff and to explore.I'm not suggesting you should be able to teleport to any deed just to the ones you're the mayor of.If you wanted to go to a friends deed,you'd still have to travel there

• Like 1

I don't think that this would render sailing pointless.  But, I also think that sailing could do with a lot of improvement.  Laying around here somewhere is a suggestion I made about sailing speeds, based on the actual timeflow of Wurm, the approximate speed of sailing vessels, and the the distance from land (or the depth of the water, I can no longer remember).  Basically, let the different sail settings actually mean realistic changes of speed.

That said, point to point teleporting is controversial.  I am in favour, within very specific circumstances and constraints.  I don't actually believe that Wurm IS an exploration game.  It still does not give actual reward for actual exploring.  I am not referring to treasure hunts (which even if implemented better would still be a poor cousin to exploration).  Currently, almost everything done in Wurm provides character advancement (not trinkets but actual progression of the character) with the exception of travel and exploration.  Those who like to travel and explore do so because they derive enjoyment or satisfaction from it DESPITE the the game not directly rewarding (or even recognizing it as some kind of action).

If Wurm is a genuine sandbox where the player can do whatever they wish, then sailing as a specific activity (or any long distance travel) should not be a mandatory part of the game forced on people who don't enjoy it.  I say that as someone who thoroughly enjoys exploring both by water and overland.  

I think certain point to point teleports should be allowed, but at a cost.   That cost could be major hit to health - something a bit like drowning damage where nothing but time will recover the health.  Until that happens, another teleport would be fatal, and there won't be much stamina for any great action, and any danger is magnified due to low health.  Possibly even an actual hit to Body Stamina characteristic (NOT massive, but in an RPG sense reflective of the bodily toll of teleporting).  Heh, perhaps a hit to a random skill or characteristic.  😄

teleportation in wurm was not a thing from start for a reason: it will make the game into "my deed" only.
-2 to that.