Sign in to follow this  
Almeriaan

Portable altar

Can we have an portable altar, so we can pray in the wildernis when we are hunting?

No, because then priests would be able to sac anywhere.  There are reasons why altars are not transportable.

Something that you could use to pray, but not sac, like an idol would be an interesting idea...but please no portable sacing stations.

• Like 2

If the camps end up having any difficulty you're going to start seeing (even more) altars everywhere in the woods as people will want buffs/heals/summons. I recommend a spell for lib priests that turns any off-deed altar on pve servers into meat with the same decay rate. I mean, who wouldn't want a meat altar? plus think of the skin sales! ok... that was pretty bad.

The reality is that people already just make altars in the world where they need them. With decent skill, the effort to make a new altar is very trivial. Allowing altars to be loaded in a cart would only declutter the insane number of altars already placed around the world.

+1

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 5:12 PM, Sinnjinn said:

No, because then priests would be able to sac anywhere.  There are reasons why altars are not transportable.

Why is this a bad thing? This sounds like an awesome thing...

How about a gypsy wagon that loses the capacity to carry a bsb but gains a built in altar?

On 2/27/2023 at 12:48 AM, arakiel said:

How about a gypsy wagon that loses the capacity to carry a bsb but gains a built in altar?

Wagons can't carry a bsb unless they're runed. 

It might be nice to have different wagon variants but tbh I think the solution lies in making more temporary structures and increasing their functionality - letting people set up and take down camps in places and recovering most of the resources when they leave. Having a way to dismantle a wooden altar and reassemble it somewhere else might be a reasonable compromise that doesn't allow people to just load and drop.

After years of building altars on other servers to to enjoy the benefits of a global rite, someone finally had the kindness to point out that the various deities have ways of praying without the use of an altar and it helped a lot:

Fo - Overaged or Shriveled trees.
        Vynora - Water tiles.
        Magranon - Can pray at any Cave tile, floor/ceiling/wall and even veins.
        Libila - Human corpses.

The only downside is that I have about 20 metal bowls still slowly decaying in the hold of my knarr - just in case.  😅

ETA: It's true that these methods do not help with faith gains for priests that are out and about, and that's an entirely different kettle of fish.

Edited by Sidereal

On 2/27/2023 at 12:31 AM, elentari said:

Why is this a bad thing? This sounds like an awesome thing...

i fail to see why this would be a bad thing asweel.

no to altars messing up the world and a big +1 to this suggestion.

-1 make some altars around the area it doesn't take long to do. Have a portable sac machine for free heals. (Even praying can heal you add cr and speed bonus) is not healthy for the game. 

1 hour ago, Atndy said:

Have a portable sac machine for free heals. (Even praying can heal you add cr and speed bonus) is not healthy for the game. 

Forcing people to carry 20 kg of cotton on them at all times and staring at 5 - 10 -15 second healing timers for each individual wound isn't either.

The fact that first aid doesn't actually increase healing speed is even worse. Better to give people more options than take them away. Wurm's balance is all over the place. We can't have fun things it seems for this weird abstracted concept of "balance" which doesn't even exist anyway in the first place. People just got used to systems and they think it's "normal" .

You can already pray almost anywhere. Fo followers at trees, Vynora is water....

2 hours ago, elentari said:

Forcing people to carry 20 kg of cotton on them at all times and staring at 5 - 10 -15 second healing timers for each individual wound isn't either.

The fact that first aid doesn't actually increase healing speed is even worse. Better to give people more options than take them away. Wurm's balance is all over the place. We can't have fun things it seems for this weird abstracted concept of "balance" which doesn't even exist anyway in the first place. People just got used to systems and they think it's "normal" .

I do agree healing needs a rework both magical and first aid but I don't believe sacing for heals that bypass all systems and healing resistance is the answer.

Personally I'd much rather just have a way to have god influence on your tile regardless of where you are. Maybe make it a karma spell everyone has. It'd make sacrificing mobs for missions so much better.

49 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Personally I'd much rather just have a way to have god influence on your tile regardless of where you are. Maybe make it a karma spell everyone has. It'd make sacrificing mobs for missions so much better.

wow, I like that suggestion.  Maybe make it a thing at a high level of prayer.  Get some use out of that useless skill