Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

So what was your first ever virtual world/MMO?

16 hours ago, Moonbeams said:

My first ever virtual world was Everquest right around the time Kunark came out. I rolled a high-elf enchanter. That class was way over my head as a beginner, but one I eventually fell in love with. I remember getting my first illusion spell. It randomly turned me into a coin on the ground. I thought I was bugged and that my character disappeared because I couldn't see myself anymore. I was tripping out, lol. My friends and I ended up living on the Firiona Vie server. I was Aeonii the cleric, mostly - among others, such as Veralynn the bard. Then it was a long list of MMOs from there.

My very first game... that was Parsec on the TI 99/4A. Unlike the guy in the video, I didn't have a controller. It was aaalll WSAD for me. The console came with a little book that gave you the long, long code to type in to program a little moving man and sounds and stuff like that. The TI was my gateway drug into lifelong gaming. Now I'll go lay down on the lawn next to Sid. 🤭

Nice.  My 'mains' were a Halfling Warrior, Footsore, and Erudite Necromancer, Chevaile Morte. (Every time I see Lester Holt on NBC News, I think of him.  lol.)  I don't remember the server.....  Played for about 10 years from 1999. Then to WoW, I believe.  Tried EQ2 and it was okay. But yea, nah.  Did go back to EQ for a little while some years later. But, like leaving your hometown, 'you can never go back.'  All time favorite was Vanguard, after the disastrous release when they finally worked ou the  worst of the problems. No other game does a necromancer anywhere near as well as Vanguard did.

First electronic game was Pong. :D  Snuck into the office late one night in 1977 and downloaded Zork from the MIT server, but .... could never get it to run on my TRS-80. Just as well, tried it when it came out commercially and....MUDs are not my thing.  Very first multiplayer gaming was old school war games with the big maps and figurines.  Then Avalon Hill started publishing board games which could occupy my group of wargamers for a couple weeks over Christmas holidays.  Then discovered PnP DnD was FAR more entertaining. heheh.

• Like 1

Also played Dark Age of Camelot too, right after that silly EQ. Wasnt too bad, but they want money, money and more money if you want to continue further in the game. Then i went to DDO and LotR too. Not really happy with WoW, just too silly, use to be pretty good until they remove so much roleplaying features from the game.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2023 at 6:26 PM, Yaga said:

That sounds very much like my era, only that I started a few years earlier with a text-based moon lander! (Not an MMO, I know 🤣) Oh, and "Amazon", an adventure game on Apple II that actually had real scene images! 

Oh, I think I remember the moon lander!  I remember a basic graphics one, too (about as fancy as Asteroids).  

<sigh>  Consider Steam.  Then consider the era when games (and other programmes, but who didn't get some games) were listed in a newsprint catalog; text descriptions only, in multi-column tiny print format, with an order form on the back (or in the centre leaf if you were fortunate).  Fill it in, mail it back with payment, get floppy disks in the mail with your shareware on them.  I still have an index file full of those disks - and not a single machine with a drive that takes them.

• Like 1

FOnline2. In 2013 discovered Wurm, but my computer was to weak (FPS under 10, and typical newbie collision - where am I, where should I go, what to do, what for is that shovel etc), tried a bit  (few hours?) and resigned for Fonline. Spent there some time until bought new comp and tried again Wurm in 2016. So yea, first MMO was Fonline2, second was Wurm.

By the end of the nineties: Aechea. Was called a MUD at the time. Text based.

The MMORPG I played most was (The legend of) Ryzom. Great community, almost as good as here.