Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

So what was your first ever virtual world/MMO?

I mean, the first ever.

Edited by Ayuna
  • Like 1

Runescape! The soundtrack to that game still gives me wild nostalgia. I miss the days before the Grand Exchange when Lumbridge and Varrock were full to the brim with people selling stuff in-person. It was a really unique time in online gaming, where lots of people were playing, but everything was a clunky wild west. I learnt about how not to get scammed online through that game the hard way... RIP to my 2005 mithril pickaxe.

I got into Wurm back in 2011 because I wanted to get back into Runescape but saw that the game had changed a lot from how it was when I started playing around ~2004, so I tried to look for something else and found Wurm instead. The rest was history 😃

• Like 2

EvE Online 2009 was my first MMO, which I played for 11+ years before moving fulltime to Wurm. 

Hopefully I will be able to play Wurm for many years to come and Devs don't make the same mistakes that the EvE Devs made.  Did a ton of pvp in EvE, was a participant of the Bloodbath of B-R5 which made MMO history at the time.  I loved EvE, but Devs did too many drastic nerfs to certain playstyles and drove many players away.  I applaud the Wurm Devs for their communication and slower paced content.  When content gets pushed out half done, it takes months or in some cases years to fix, which is why I left EvE. 

Very happy to be a Wurmian!

Ultima Online: Renaissance 

Unique thing about it was housing in geographical locations (not instanced) but if someone had high enough hiding and stealth skills, they could wait at your door and sneak in with you and steal stuff.

In hindsight, that might be the thing that made me paranoid about letting people in on deed permissions or have citizens at all in Wurm.

That was changed few years later and houses are safe now but the trauma stayed with me.

1 hour ago, Docterchese said:

I learnt about how not to get scammed online through that game the hard way... RIP to my 2005 mithril pickaxe.

RIP my first addy breastplate to the swarm of tiny insects in Falador's mole lair .. I miss those days more than I thought I will, when I left the game in 2012, but there's nothing left there as good as in the back old days.

• Like 1

Runescape aswell! First time I entered the world was summer 2006. I only played pirated singleplayer games I bought at our local bazar (Bought a Dragonball Z fighting game which turned out to be a  Goldsource mod for Half Life!)

Games like HL, Cod and some flash games on Miniclip. I once found Runescape in there and at first was very confused I had to register to play it so I did not do it. Couple of weeks later a friend of mine told me about the game where you live in this world and can chop down every tree. Turns out he aswell found the game on Miniclip, so he helped me make an account and I was blown away, that there were other Real people playing the game and talking.

Still have my account I have created in 2006 with all the holiday items I gathered over the years. A LOT of memories on that.

I played a lot Oldscool rs about 3 years ago, before switching to Wurm and paying for premium 3 years straight, never had a game do that to me :)

I will never see another online lived-in game the way I saw Runescape, but Wurm with it expansive world and open nature come very close to that.

Edited by Xheth
  • Like 1

Phantasy Star Online, on Dreamcast. If that counts? Followed closely by Subspace Continuum. I feel ancient. 😭

Edited by Cokey
Updated.
  • Like 1

Virtual "world" - Elite, 1984.

MMO - Assuming graphics-based and "massive" probably Runescape, or maybe Ultima.

My first computerized RPG was Zork.  Text-based ftw!  😁

My first multi-player game (not counting 2 people playing Elite on one keyboard) was Descent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Virtual "world" - Elite, 1984.

MMO - Assuming graphics-based and "massive" probably Runescape, or maybe Ultima.

My first computerized RPG was Zork.  Text-based ftw!  😁

My first multi-player game (not counting 2 people playing Elite on one keyboard) was Descent.

That sounds very much like my era, only that I started a few years earlier with a text-based moon lander! (Not an MMO, I know 🤣) Oh, and "Amazon", an adventure game on Apple II that actually had real scene images! 

prob gremlins on the zx spectrum , but on pc star wars galaxies was where to be)

• Like 1

the first one i remember is rubies of eventide, and the only thing i really remember is that the easiest mob in it were goblings and they said "its not easy being green" when you fought them.

• Like 1

UO renaissance in 1997, then i played a lot of different games including faldon too, and a lot of different unofficial UO shards, for wich i coded some fancy mods in RunUO...then almost in the same time, Wurm and H&H.

Runescape, in 2001. Still semi-active, but on a break. I just can't get into again for some reason. The learning curve for a returning player is worse than that of a new Wurm player 🙃

Kings Quest on floppy disk, then the Ultima series and Ultima Online years later 😁

Edited by MordosKull
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 10:51 AM, Ayuna said:

I mean, the first ever.

NNVDSwa.jpg

The first ever?  First ever virtual world would have been Adventureland played on a TRS-80 in 3rd grade in the late 70s.  The teacher asked me to type in the actions that the class agreed upon and it was like a switch was flipped in my brain.  Eventually everyone else all went out to recess and I stayed inside the entire time to continue exploring that world.

First ever MMO would have been HeroMUD in the late 80s - but once Everquest appeared in the early 90s I was utterly hooked, especially since it was a MUD writ large with graphics.

Now I have to go lie down and I would ask that all y'all stay off my lawn while I fan myself and recover from having confessed this. 👵

• Like 4

My first ever virtual world was Everquest right around the time Kunark came out. I rolled a high-elf enchanter. That class was way over my head as a beginner, but one I eventually fell in love with. I remember getting my first illusion spell. It randomly turned me into a coin on the ground. I thought I was bugged and that my character disappeared because I couldn't see myself anymore. I was tripping out, lol. My friends and I ended up living on the Firiona Vie server. I was Aeonii the cleric, mostly - among others, such as Veralynn the bard. Then it was a long list of MMOs from there.

My very first game... that was Parsec on the TI 99/4A. Unlike the guy in the video, I didn't have a controller. It was aaalll WSAD for me. The console came with a little book that gave you the long, long code to type in to program a little moving man and sounds and stuff like that. The TI was my gateway drug into lifelong gaming. Now I'll go lay down on the lawn next to Sid. 🤭

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 1:05 PM, Homestead said:

Everquest.

I was hooked on MMO's forever after that.

Yeah that make two of us, i just couldnt crawl back in there. The UIs are terrible and not mention how ugly it is. But the second series, isnt too bad, but still lame boring game compare to the rest of them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

The Realm Online

Same here actually.  There are many times I miss those days. 

Though, if the OP also counts MUDs in their question, then I'd have to say that Terris (now called Legends of Terris) was my first.