Sign in to follow this  
Nirav

Looting Fallen Deeds

I know I will ruffle some feathers with this post, and I honestly don't care. This is a topic that means a lot to me, and I have some things to say about it. But.... I realize this is an opinion. This doesn't come from a place of putting anyone down or judging anyone harshly. We all have different playstyles. That being said, I'm going to wade into the deep water....
I am first and foremost a looter. I always have been. My *reason* for looting is nostalgia. I have not sold anything I have looted ever. I search for items with signatures for the museum and have since day one, even before I knew I was going to make a museum. The signatures have always mattered to me more than the items. Mats I get go to impalongs and new folks who need stuff. But I need to state here that I am not holding myself apart from those who loot fallen deeds. I do it. I love it. I love the rush of a wall coming down and ooooooh what is Inside there?! I've done it for 7 years.
What I have found in that time is Most of the time, and by that I mean over 70% of the time, if I have found a deed that has fallen that has a ton of very valuable stuff in it, the person who owned it has suffered a tragedy or crisis irl. We can absolutely do better by each other than to have an alt stand there until a wall falls down, for weeks on end, not making any attempt at all to contact the person who owned the stuff. It is easy to check signatures on the items in the area and find who lived there. It is easy to go to the forum, GL, pms, whatever, to try and contact that person or their friends. 
Folks I have personally talked to who lost everything that way - here is what they were doing....Taking care of a parent who suddenly went on hospice, hospitalized themselves with serious illness (multiple cases of this), losing a house, losing a loved one (miltiple cases of this), battling mental illness (multiple cases of this), losing access to internet. Imagine going through something like that, and then coming back to Wurm, to see your friends, or even just your nice deed and your stuff and finding it all gone, looted, with no way at all of ever getting it back? People have Often lost things this way that they were holding onto because they belonged to players who have Died. 
Please. Please, if you are ready to loot a deed, take some time to find the player first. Please. Some of these people have spent years making this game what it is, and no one deserves to come back from an irl crisis to having everything they built gone. Ask around. Contact alliance members. PM them. Check the forum and write a message. It's the kind thing to do. It's the Least we can do for each other. This is all about PVE. If you are looting on PVP servers....well. Good luck with that. LOL Have at it. It is great fun, but expect to die any second. 

Edited by Nirav
  • Like 32

As someone who stores tons of items from gone players I want to say: Well spoken!

Edited by Cecci
typo
  • Like 3
  • Cat 1

Would have been nice, had someone done that instead of looting my deed when it fell while I spent a year in the hospital yea. 😕

In the end I knew the rules, my 1 year of upkeep was not enough as RL struck me so I sucked it up and spent 200euros on buying most of what I lost anew.

I know who did it or was a part of it, as they made a storage unit to organize for easier looting and a crate rack at the shore, but whatever really... rules are rules and I just happened to be double unlucky and have meanies loot my deed, wish it would have been you Nirav. ;)

Personally I never looted, I don't leave my deed much if at all and even when I do, there are not many deed close by my place and I don't pay attention to the announcements either, I just don't care as much really.

• Like 5

An understandable playstyle.

Glad u have found a playstyle that u love in wurm.

Happy wurming.

I miss the days of outlaws and home servers, having the rep system matter, and a direction of game play.. Being able to loot on PVE was very nice.

I'm with you Nirav, like Cecci I have tons of stuff I've salvaged from friend's and alliance mate's deeds when they left the game for whatever reason. Some of them were tragic RL situations, like Rapidron who passed - which turned into an epic battle with a professional looter over control of his stuff, which I won :) and then we sold his stuff and donated the proceeds to a charity in his name.

There's one player, my friend Idlamn, who actively tracks down people with nice deeds when those fall and has managed to re-deed over the buildings (after getting manage perms) and keep those deeds up and active and part of the living landscape of Wurm.

Looting is a part of Wurm, sure, and I wouldn't have some of my nicer stuff without it, but we don't have to be so ruthless and cutthroat about it that we can't try to reach out to the person and see if there's some way to salvage their stuff rather than just spirit it away like a thief in the night. Be kind to one another :) it's a small player base, more like family than anything else.

• Like 5

@Niravyou are not actually a looter.  You are a salvager.   There is a wurld of difference.

I have done a little looting and a lot of salvage.  Usually everything goes into storage pretty much indefinitely unless I can find an owner (the exception being bulk materials unless the amount is truly significant).  The back veranda and yard of my house has tended to accumulate unsightly clutter until owners show up to claim special items (rare ovens, banners etc).  It costs nothing to simply steward something for a while.

"Looting" for me is generally when I find stuff so far decayed that it is about to disappear and I repair it at major cost to QL (often down to single digits).  The actual objects are unlikely to have any remaining value for an owner returning, but they are welcome to whatever I am able to share.  I have been given so much by so many people who asked nothing in return that I figure I can give away a ton of stuff saved from oblivion or made from scratch for a long time and still be in front.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

It isn't just whole deeds, either.  Sometimes a villager is away for a long time and other villagers begin to see their plot as something to plunder.

We had a villager who had a walled but unlocked compound out at the edge of the deed.  A few instances of people coming and walking off with goodies resulted in the compound being locked up (and we lost a short thoroughfare).  I know that this is within the "rules" of the game, but it isn't within the rules of neighbourliness.

At one point the resident had been away for long time (their merchant had long packed up and left).  Someone ( I have no idea who) convinced the mayor that the resident had a rather special vehicle of this someone's locked in the compound and managed to get permission to take a battering ram to a section of wall (I found this out from the resident when they eventually returned).  When I first noticed the hole, a fair bit of stuff had already been carried off.  I and another villager packed up what we could and stored it where the ghouls couldn't get it.

Many months later the resident returned.  Their computer had completely broken down and they had not had the funds for another, so had been away for over a year.  To say they were feeling disappointed and discouraged would be underselling it.  A couple of players being able to say, "listen, they didn't get everything, here is a lot of your stuff safe and waiting" took a lot of the sting out of it.  They did have months worth of gathered resources gone for good though, and I noticed they weren't around for very much longer.  I think the thought of starting over was simply too discouraging.

Wurm needs to not chase players away.  Whether the shenanigans are from the company, the staff or the players doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the long run, BUT only player shenanigans are controlled by the players.  

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 3

I'm definitely a looter/salvager and a packrat. If you've had a deed in my area that dropped, or you lived on my deed and went MIA, I probably have a bunch of your stuff saved with your name on it.  (Kadoba, Blessedbeard, I'm looking at you 👀) I'm usually happy to return things when folks come back.

Another little tip, if you're the type of salvager who might be willing to return things, is to drop a sign at the spot with your IGN to contact you.

• Like 3

Harsh truths learned from cruel lessons in the past:

• The game is designed for deeds to be looted.
  • If someone doesn't loot your deed out of guilt. Someone else will out of greed.
  • If you lost your deed's stuff to a looter. It is no longer yours unless a GM intervenes.
  • Mr. Rogers isn't your neighbor. Expect your ruins to be walled up if you have a fantastic forge waiting.

My suggestions to avoid this unfortunate outcome:

• Enlist friends in game to maintain upkeep during unplanned absences.
  • Enlist friends IRL to contact friends in game, to maintain upkeep during emergencies.
  • One year upkeep minimum. Sometimes not even that is enough, double up if you have a history of health problems.
  • Smaller deed sizes last longer. If you only have an oversized deed for the aesthetics, maybe consider downsizing for longevity and cost-effectiveness sake.
  • Mentally prepare yourself with a "Deed it or lose it" mentality. Expect to start over if you break this mantra in any way, shape or form. That's just how the game was designed.
Edited by Viceren
  • Like 10

4 minutes ago, Viceren said:
  •  

My suggestions to avoid this unfortunate outcome:

• Enlist friends in game to maintain upkeep during unplanned absences.
  • Enlist friends IRL to contact friends in game, to maintain upkeep during emergencies.
  • One year upkeep minimum. Sometimes not even that is enough, double up if you have a history of health problems.
  • Smaller deed sizes last longer. If you only have an oversized deed for the aesthetics, maybe consider downsizing for longevity and cost-effectiveness sake.
  • Mentally prepare yourself with a "Deed it or lose it" mentality. Expect to start over if you break this mantra in any way, shape or form. That's just how the game was designed.

It helps to have some in-game friends who can contact you outside the game, whether it be via email, forum, text, or whatnot.

Remember that you can store some items in your bank. Great for sentimental items that can't be replaced. You can also create an alt to hold items. With the recent change that prevents character deletion, the alt wouldn't even need premium.

Create an email filter for Wurm Online upkeep warnings, to mark them as urgent (and keep them out of your spam folder). If you are prone to long absences for whatever reason, you could even set your email filter to forward the warnings to a trusted friend.

• Like 2

when i loot dead neighbour deeds it's usually for the animals so they can have a new home 🙂

• Like 4

Can't they just hold back the twitter/discord announcement for a week or so? that shouldn't mess too much with WurmNode and whoever else needs that data.

It's annoying to find every deed that falls looted within the hour. 

I play on Xanadu and an alliance members deed fell this week and 30 minutes later there was already someone looting the place.

I used to like roaming the area and explore fallen deeds to find cool stuff when I started playing years back but for the last several years the nice finds have been sparse.

• Like 1

I remember relocating my deed on deliverance a year ago and when I disbanded it, it didn't even take 30 minutes for the local to pop up with 10 names. I was in the process of moving stuff via wagon (mostly crates so no biggie) when people kept asking if there's "any good stuff left".

One measure I'd personally implement is for players to be granted the right to mark 10 items (or more?) as "personal property in case of long absence". What this means mechanically is that if a forge for example is marked as personal, when a deed disbands , it goes into the void (database) and when the player returns (6 month,s a year, 5 years, w/e) he has the option to "Summon personal property".

This can lessen the pain of losing stuff due to RL complications.

I'll be honest here guys but there's no MMO out there (that I know of)  that punishes players so freaking much for an absence in Wurm. You can lose entire months of work in Wurm (if not years) due to some tragic RL complications which I'll be candid here, will eventually happen to all of us at one point or another. If I wanna login in Wow after many years of absence is my bank deleted or personal stuff? Nope. How about in guild wars? Nope. Runescape? Nope. But Wurm? Oh wurm has to really punish you if you don't pay the nice tribute to the king for that upkeep.

It's quite cruel to punish players by esentially "removing" all their personal stuff (that's not in inventory) because they couldn't login. Some people go through depression, some have bad jobs, some have health issues, some have their loved ones die and simply cannot login to Wurm for a prolonged period of time.

But when they do? When they finally manage to "soothe the waters" IRL and login to wurm what do they find? Their entire work eliminated because they didn't manage to pay upkeep.Their reward for paying premium, paying upkeep , supporting the game is that their stuff goes bye bye. Why should they remain loyal players after this crap? If the reward after a painful period in a human being's life is having their work removed in game, why should that person ever have something good to say about the game or encourage other people to try it?

I've known about 40 players personally that have perma quit for precisely this reason. Some had kids to raise, some had work related issues or health issues, etc. But when they logged in their things were gone.  The game simply deleted their work and valuables with this ###### looting mechanic. Some will say "oh but it isn't the game's fault, it's the looting players". I also call ###### on this since any game mechanic encourages a certain player behavior.

I get the excitement of salvaging someone's deed but the reality of the situation is a lot of people spend A LOT of time to get their necessities in game and most of them will not have the will, desire, money, resources, time to do it all over again. Simply put Wurm needs some mechanics that allow for a player to retain a part of his stuff that cannot be in inventory. I am talking about usual things like forges, chests, rare beds, etc, when they simply cannot login.

Edited by elentari
  • Like 6

When i left Xanadu over 3 years ago for ragequitting, i left 2 alts with substantial skills in priestly stuff, my main wich hand probably 15 skills in 90 range and over 5-6 of them in the 95-99, and a deed with at least 15 supreme items and 40-50 rare ones, plus an awful lot of looted, very old stuff i got here and there, things you can just collect now (and still have some of them parked in alts or bank, i look at you, easter rabbit fur...soooo soft...).

When i came back few days ago, after the Harmony disaster with the new toon, i checked my alts and main to see what they were doing and what i had with them: i  found them sitting at my old cave deed, wich was took over by some ppl in the years and ultimately was left to a russian guy: he asked me if i wanted my wagon and other minor stuff i left there, and i transferred property of those to him instead, then i found back some Xan friends and discovered that when my deed disbanded, people rushed there to gather whatever was left in it, and they were all "oooh" at the amount of stuff in there...i was quite amused by the idea they came in and found a true treasure between rift mats, metal lumps, rare items, i had like 2 large storage units full of 90ql imped leather items, including 50 saddles.

People coming in there probably saw that deed and asked themselves how much time i devoted to build it, the richness they could gain from that stuff, and thinking in that perspective is quite nice to me, i am happy if someone stayed longer in the game because of the things i've gathered or made over time, and to me starting again, even a new toon in North servers, is not a loss at all.

I will keep looting as i did in old times, i am doing it right now in Cadence and to me is incredibly fun, making stories myself of what they could have done in their playtime and why they built or crafted that stuff instead of others. Another reason why i loot stuff is that i like quite a lot to remove human presence on servers as much as i can, i often went to the point i remove roads or bash fences and other stuff left in the wild, and also know that keeping an awful lot of stuff and clutter around makes the server lag even more than normal, like it was near my home in Laghollow.

I reckon mine is a different approach, and to me both are valid to me, so enjoy the game as you like it, we should always help other players when they ask for it!

Ps: i may be interested in selling some of the south server stuff i still have, if someone wants to buy it, and i'll be glad if the weird and rare items will go to a museum or someone wich may take care of them, just PM.

• Like 2

Mmmmh i've read all and many comments here are not totally ... honests !

I'm a scavenger /deed looter call it as you want, and it's even my main source of income to pay upkeep for my deeds. I'm doing this for many years. (Booooo :p)

To sum up many comments, when i loot an abandonned deed (really abandonned) i'm almost killing heavily long term diseased or real life critical situational poor deed owners who, unfortunately, forgot they had beloved (virtual) stuff in Wurm Online (a game).

And when they come back after their long term disease recovery or insert-any-critical-situations-here , they have a heart attack seeing they 've lost everything due to me.

Okay, i'm exagerating it a little (a lot) but those are VERY VERY VERY little special cases i've met (and gave stuff back for sure or paid it if i've already sold it) in an ocean of deed owners who just stop the game and let all their stuff in game. Maybe they are complaining when they decide to come back to the game they liked to see they have lost all, no doubt, but it deserves ingame stuff protection system for them ?

As it's have been already said, you have various ways to keep your deed safe during a Wurm break, a pause or any other more critical situations.

If it's a planned break, just give your deed ownership to someone else trustful.

Or, like i see often while i'm exploring, do a stuff keeping deed: just reduce your deed to the smallest sized upkeep (1s) and pay it for years ! 12s = 1 year

If you have valuable stuff in it (i've read rares, supremes..) i guess you can afford 24s or 36s to pay 2 or 3years upkeep (covering most real life crisis i suppose).

If you can't afford that, then what you will loose is probably not worthing a heart attack when you come back playing, you have just lost junk items.

If you are poor ingame but have sentimental cheap specific items, just keep them into your character inventory or give them to a friend.

But now if you want to keep your 200 x 200 tiles deed without giving ownership / perm to someone else and you want to keep all at the same place for 3 years but without paying for 3 years upkeep ... eh .. ehm ... how can i say that ? .... you want too much !

Now for unplanned leave ... i don't see many long term cases avoiding you to log on ingame just to pay upkeep or reduce deed size etc.. like a planned leave. For example if you have a severe car accident (except if you are in coma for years) after or during your recovery you can log on a PC / laptop just to secure all the stuff or a friend can do this for you but really, again, those are really a SMALL portion of abandonned deed even if i admit it happened.

There are not many cases making you impossible to log on for let's say 1h to secure your stuff, i don't say it doesn't existed, but those are very small part of a small part of deed owners long term unplanned Wurm absence.

My text is maybe a bit "rude" but don't forget you are in a video game and if what you have invested into that video game is priceless for you then i've listed few solutions already existing ingame to avoid a heart attack when you come back in game and see i've looted all your stuff :D

I'm playing Wurm Online because of those "mini-games" inside the game, looting an abandonned deed is like IDOC on Ultima Online for those who 've played it, it's an entire gamestyle into a game. I don't play WoW, Guildwars, Runescape or any other game that have been quoted above for this reason.

Not everybody who is playing Wurm Online is just here to craft things or build and deco for years (no offense for those who are doing this .. this is thanks to you when i leave i can loot stuff ^^). You have many different ways to play Wurm Online, you have traders, cartographers, explorers, nomads etc ... and this is what makes Wurm Online beautiful : anybody is free to play it as he wants so please don't forget that in every boat game you have pirates, in every far west game you have bandits, in any superheroes movies you have villains. Everybody hate them but if you remove them it's flavorless isn't ? :)

PS: Again sorry for my bad english i rarely write on forums due to that

PS2: Yes i play on PVE but i consider moving to Chaos anytime soon but i've heard it's pretty empty ? And no, Defiance or any new char for PVP is not an option for me as i have still noob skills after 10 years playing so imagine i have to create a new char... :D

Edited by Syhl
  • Like 7

When the deed drops, send the owner a PM while you pack your salvager and hope for one of two outcomes; the owner returns and we keep another player in Wurm, or they don't return and you get there first...

• Like 3

I find "deed it or lose it" both as a rule and as a mentality to be completely out of place in PVE.  As a rule it is a holdover from when the whole of Wurm was intended to be "full-loot PVP".  As a mentality it is not necessarily P "versus" P but it is definitely treating other players as little more than npc resources to be exploited.  "Your loss is my gain" is not an attitude I would like to foster.  If that is your mindset, I am not saying you are simply not Mr Rogers.  I am saying you aren't my neighbour.

Don't get me wrong, you can salvage and loot quite fine without this mindset.  Just be mindful, when you are jumping in to grab "anything good left" from a deed that just fell, of how you would feel if, say, you had a 24hr window undeeded and logged in to find your work of months-to-years completely plundered and pillaged, with broken buildings almost all that is left.

Most of the advice I have seen about protecting your stuff seems to involving paying a lot of money to not play at a time when not having playing-with money may well be part of the main reason for not playing.  Or somehow paradoxically when you are unable to log in, enlisting in-game friends to come to your aid.  

Maybe look at it this way; you already don't have all that stuff.  Treat it as salvage, take a little time to see if it can be restored to the owner or someone who will steward it, and anything you don't manage to return is then a boon.  You lose nothing, because it wasn't yours in the first place.  At least be prepared to help the person get re-established if/when they return.

What is especially sad is that personal hardships and even tragedies may keep people from Wurm for a time but don't seem to make them quit.  What (in my experience with a few) makes them quit is finally getting back into Wurm and finding all alternate-world hard work has either been taken or bashed into ruins.  

I am specifically referring to uplanned breaks.  Unfortunately, the waters are muddied by the fact that an unplanned break and a simple quit look the same ingame.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

I stand by what I said, but want to address a few things....

21 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I think the thought of starting over was simply too discouraging.

It is incredibly discouraging. Many people spend years building their deeds and acquiring skills and items. Having a personal crisis of any sort is difficult enough. To come back to a place that brought joy to find it all gone because someone wanted to make money off it is nauseating.

13 hours ago, elentari said:

the reality of the situation is a lot of people spend A LOT of time to get their necessities in game and most of them will not have the will, desire, money, resources, time to do it all over again. Simply put Wurm needs some mechanics that allow for a player to retain a part of his stuff that cannot be in inventory

Totally agree. 5 items in a bank is not enough. I don't know what the answer is, but this current system as it stands is really not helpful to anyone but looters.

13 hours ago, Rauros said:

i left Xanadu over 3 years ago for ragequitting

I like that you replied. I like hearing different perspectives. I do want to point out though, ragequitting, or leaving by choice is Vastly different than having something happen that is not in your control. And these personal crises are far more common than I think most people realize. You are comparing apples and oranges here. These things weren't a loss to you because you Chose to leave. You already gave them away by doing so. If someone I knew of ragequit, and I believed they were Done and not coming back, then ok, Yeah, I would feel just fine throwing whatever I wanted into my wagon. All I am asking of folks is to reach out and find out what happened before doing that to someone's stuff.

8 hours ago, Syhl said:

If you are poor ingame but have sentimental cheap specific items, just keep them into your character inventory or give them to a friend.

I like that you replied, too. Your post had a lot of what I think are rather unrealistic expectations of people, however. Walking around with all of your favorite things in your inventory in case something happens and a relative dies is just unreasonable. Not everyone here is rich. Not everyone here has a ton of friends. Not everyone can drop that much upkeep into their deeds. I have been incredibly poor myself irl, and there have been times in which I for sure would have lost everything had something gone wrong to make me not be able to play. Again, all I am asking is to check around and find out why the person isn't there before loading up everything they have worked hard to create there and selling it so you can pay for your deeds. In the end you call yourself a villain after all, so I guess you own up to it, but maybe ... try not to be one?

59 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Unfortunately, the waters are muddied by the fact that an unplanned break and a simple quit look the same ingame.

They are. I have no clue what the answer is from the devs' perspective. But until something changes, it is up to us to care what happens to each other. I agree with everything you've written, and kinda like the word Salvager lol. I, too, know a ton of people who have left because they came back to nothing. I have also watched alliance members frantically trying to save a deed while looters are rushing in and grabbing what they can while the alliance is trying to save it. This is no way to keep players. 
Elentari is right on. I hadn't seen it that way up to this point. There is no reason at all to penalize players who are actively paying to play this game not just in premium fees but also in monthly deed upkeep costs by letting everything they own get carted off by people, some of whom are here in wurm simply to do exactly that and nothing else. It is a playstyle, to grab someone's stuff when they are having hardship, and it is hurting our community. 

• Like 3

Deed is one of the core mechanics of Wurm and is designed to protect your stuff, yes it cost coins, but thats how it is rather you like it or not, and i must say that i dont like that others trying to tell people how to play and/or accuse them for stealing(this is how i read most of this), 1 of the things that could be done is to make it easier to follow deed upkeep while offline, maybe possibility to add your phone number/or by mail(maybe this is allready in place but a earlier notification could do) to get a massage when theres 1, 3 or more months left of upkeep.

Also very very few has the type of life crisis that would make them unable to log in at all over a long period of time, and if they do, whats the chance you can reach them on the forum/discord? 

Hunting down fallen deed is how some have decide to play, and its right now a legal way to play, so stop accusing people for doin nothing wrong, that can also be a way to hurt the community btw.

Just want to clarify that i have never looted a deed to this day, and has never gained any vaulables from fallen deeds, and i dont mean to sound heartless and are all for to make changes to make it easier, i doubt devs will add any ingame features or rules to prevent this, but maybe a better notification system would make it easier?

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Nirav said:

I like that you replied, too. Your post had a lot of what I think are rather unrealistic expectations of people, however. Walking around with all of your favorite things in your inventory in case something happens and a relative dies is just unreasonable. Not everyone here is rich. Not everyone here has a ton of friends. Not everyone can drop that much upkeep into their deeds. I have been incredibly poor myself irl, and there have been times in which I for sure would have lost everything had something gone wrong to make me not be able to play. Again, all I am asking is to check around and find out why the person isn't there before loading up everything they have worked hard to create there and selling it so you can pay for your deeds. In the end you call yourself a villain after all, so I guess you own up to it, but maybe ... try not to be one?

Underline answer: When i said to keep stuff in your inventory it was when you plan to leave the game and can't afford 1s / month upkeep to keep all you want into your character inventory so when you come back all is kept into your inventory (plus now even never prem char won't be deleted so you can even create mule alts to keep tons of things into your inventory)

Bold answer: I'm not rich irl either and everybody knowing me knows i play as a hermit for years so i have very few ingame friends and i've never bought silvers with real money from shop.

I understand i could be rude but as i said if you can't pay for upkeep during your absence with the base of 1s/month, can't give ownership to a friend saying to him to loot everything if you are not back at X date BUT you want to keep all your items / buildings at the same place ... you maybe want too much again.

As @Stinboisaid maybe a better notification system is the solution but in the case you can't log in let's say 1h to secure your ingame goods i don't have the solution...

What i say is i understand the point of view of the returning player seeing everything he has done is looted but there are already solutions for this not to happen already built ingame, as i said if you can't pay 1s/month upkeep, don't want to give ownership to friends, can't log on 1h during a unplanned leave because you are poor or something BUT want to keep all you did maybe it's not the right place to do it. Maybe Wurm Unlimited is the solution (i don't know if you have to pay prem / upkeep there i admit my lack of info).

I mean, i replied to try to list solutions even if i'm the villain in this story but there is for me a limit point between what you can and what you want, again maybe you (not you Nirav i mean those who leave) want too much ...

I used to plant small / large signs in the past (i stopped) after i looted in an area saying "i have your stuff pm me" and really iirc only 2 PMed me MONTHS after the deed was disbanded and they were not "i was in coma for all that time" they were "i stopped the game because i didn't want to continue but now i want to play again and i'm sad / angry because all was looted" i helped them but what to say to them ? i wanted to answer that there are ppl paying their upkeep with labor ingame (even "noobs" are doing this), those who leave / pause are paying for the upkeep to keep all at the same place and it would be unfair if without doing anything, with no efforts, they had kept all their stuff.

I helped them without saying this to them but that's what i though. Thought of a villain :D

Edited by Syhl
  • Like 3

Syhl has made me points as to what can be done Lets go a little farther.

If the player is the type that is taking a vacation from wurm if you don't have a boat buy one put all your pixel treasures  that have no value (there is no RMT anymore so no value) boats will last longer  and maybe one day if you come back  you will have your oh so precious treasures.

No boat well LOCK your stuff, lock your bsbs lock your crates racks lock your magic chests lock your wagons, if you do make it back in a in a timely manners  you might just find your locked things still in place.

Have friends then give access as a back up to your treasures, maybe they will still be playing when you come back or maybe they quit lost all their stuff and yours :)

As for the years and years of work?? We arent talking all the terraforming they did to create a deed, looting or treasure hunting or salvaging has not one thign to do with that if they came back to another deed where there deed was that because it was empty or are we gonna blame people. for deeding over old areas now.

This issue gets posted every few months about the evil filthy bandits criminals thieves crooks , whatever else they have been called yet  those same people have said they have looted go figure that snowflake mentality.  

You are playing a game with pixel treasures with no real world value  agreed you may have some sentimental value that it was given to you by your pixel friend but for gods sake people if things are that important to you in a pixel world then at least take some care and control and responsibility to make the effort to lock your own things up in the event anything out of your control might happen (and we hope it doesn't)

One final thing on the passing away from players (which we never want to see happen) but if it does and they get looted its pretty much guranteed they aren't complaining about it.  Those who take any type of situational crisis in another life  loot their deed and then boost their community rep by saying they did if for good reasons is nonsense, might make you feel better might think it justifies what you did  but in the end you looted a deed and don use those things to bolster your "good character".

So just play your game enjoy your time and stop trying to cause drama to shame people for playing their game they way they want as well.

• Like 4